Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-19-2011, 12:27 AM   #21
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Well I'm glad I gave you the opportunity to call me an uneducated fool. After all, you have always seemed to hold a grudge against me for whatever reason.
Oh, I dont hate you or anything, just seems blatantly obvious that you seem to think your superior to everyone else. This isnt a recent thing, its been going on for years.

As for Social Darwinism, I KNOW what it is, and like I stated, it has nothing to do with Darwins theory on evolution and survival of the fittest. As i've said, the whole 'Darwin Awards' thing is just stupid, and makes no sense if your comparing it to true darwinism. And I know Darwins theory has nothing to do with athleticism, I pointed that out earlier. But Darwins theory points to the idea that it takes far more than brains for most species to survive. It has nothing to do with intelligence, some of the dumbest species in the world are also the hardiest. And that is why the whole Darwin Awards thing makes no sense.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #22
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Oh Slice, let him have his moment. He thinks he's teaching us. It's cute.

No, im not teaching, I know most of you, you especially, refuse to learn anything or admit that anyone else could teach you anything. Perhaps you even do know the difference between actual darwinism and the topic of this thread. Nothing irks me more than than someone using a term to describe something totally different than what that term actually means.

If they were called the 'Idiot awards' or 'Dumbfuck Awards', or the 'People who got what they deserved awards', i'd be all for it. But I hate the fact that the legacy left by a brilliant biologist are these so called 'Darwin Awards', when his research is some of the most important in our history and was the start of our research on genetics, yet instead everyone equates it with that shit.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:15 AM   #23
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Old 05-19-2011, 06:56 AM   #24
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:41 AM   #25
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Intellectual Darwinish: Survival of the less stupid.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #26
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
No, its not survival of the fittest. Darwinism is about survival of the most well adapted. Something with a thick heavy coat will survive better in cold climates than something without one, no matter how big and strong the animal without that thick fur may be, for example. Survival of the fittest is a term that in no way means what your saying it does. Its about genetic evolution and the ability to adapt to climate/conditions local to any certain species.

Like I said, you have no idea what 'Darwinism' actually is. Social Darwinism is a recent term that has nothing at all to do with the theory that Charles Darwin put forth. Its uneducated fools who used the term for something that actually has nothing to do with the concept in its original form.
One could make the argument that "well adapted" = "fittest" in the most strict definition of the term.

The "adaptation" in this case, or "thick heavy coat" to use your analogy, is intellectual ability; the lack thereof (what we modernly refer to as being a dumbass who is just taking up space and wasting oxygen) is the lack of adaptation to the needs of the environment (in this case, an environment containing high-rise buildings with a high floor balcony). To continue your analogy, the individual can be big and strong but lack that "big heavy coat" of intellectual ability lead to the environment winning the battle (i.e. he fell off the balcony because he was an idiot).

I did a position paper about this in college as a Biology major which was much better worded than the above, however, my head hurts so this is the best I can do right now.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:03 AM   #27
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there Particle...

What I wanna know is where did something like "planking" actually get enough attention to become something people wanted to do? You couldnt pay me to lay down and let other people pile on top of me, nor have I any interest in being that close to someone else's ass. Drugs or alcohol must have been involved...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:08 AM   #28
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:15 PM   #29
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
No, im not teaching, I know most of you, you especially, refuse to learn anything or admit that anyone else could teach you anything. Perhaps you even do know the difference between actual darwinism and the topic of this thread. Nothing irks me more than than someone using a term to describe something totally different than what that term actually means.

If they were called the 'Idiot awards' or 'Dumbfuck Awards', or the 'People who got what they deserved awards', i'd be all for it. But I hate the fact that the legacy left by a brilliant biologist are these so called 'Darwin Awards', when his research is some of the most important in our history and was the start of our research on genetics, yet instead everyone equates it with that shit.
Lizards with camoflauge colored skin lived longer (and were therefore more likely to mate & reproduce) than lizards who were born with "plain" color skin. Kinda the same thing as people who were lucky enough to be born with self-control and logical reasoning ability, passed down by their parents. Those who don't, are more likely to die sooner. So I don't see much of a problem with the Darwins Awards analogy.

OK maybe even the "best" people make mistakes or do stupid things when they're drunk or having fun, but one could make the argument that if they possessed superior breeding & genetics, they'd be less likely to do stupid shit. You can't argue with the fact that many mental/personality attributes are passed down by your parents.

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-19-2011 at 01:18 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 01:22 PM   #30
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head there Particle...

What I wanna know is where did something like "planking" actually get enough attention to become something people wanted to do? You couldnt pay me to lay down and let other people pile on top of me, nor have I any interest in being that close to someone else's ass. Drugs or alcohol must have been involved...
It's the same thing that happened after the movie "The Program" came out (good flick too, IMO). A couple kids died when they "planked" along the center stripe of a major street, just like the characters in the movie.

Within a few weeks, the studio pulled the movie from theatres and edited that spot out. I heard only Australian copies still have that scene in it.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote