Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #21
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Alright. Listen. Germany, the Autobahn was mentioned.

Let's talk proper road etiquette.

First off, Slice, you're right. People's ego is a bitch, and getting them to move over is not easy...BUT...if you use proper etiquette, you'll find you do a lot better in this respect.

When coming up on slower traffic, PUT ON YOUR LEFT SIGNAL. Don't high beam people, it makes them more likely to take offense.

It's actually ILLEGAL to high beam anyone on the Autobahn. The correct action is to use the left turn signal (although, those with supercars often give a light tap on the highs anyway, as their closing speed is FUCKING SILLY).

If you have your signal on as you come up from behind, you give them a chance to move over, and you signal your intent to pass on the left (AS YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO).

If after arriving behind the vehicle, you find that they haven't moved over, you change your indicator to a RIGHT SIGNAL, and pass on the right (which is wrong, but is the closest you'll ever come in real life to two wrongs making a right).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
I've tried this. Unfortunately people, in North America, either don't have a bloody clue what the left flasher in the left lane means, or they just don't give a damn. I have more luck with them mistaking me for a police vehicle if I throw on the hazard lights, since I'm in a hi-viz Aerostich jacket.

All well and good, except people do NOT use their rear view mirrors... that's either for seeing if you have anything in your teeth, putting on your makeup, or backing out of the driveway (sometimes).
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #22
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
I've NEVER heard someone say not to pass on the "right lane."
I see it plastered on the back of semi trailers all the time:

<<<PASSING SIDE ---- SUICIDE>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Next time, wait a little longer in the left lane to let him know you are there, then pass on the right if he doesn't move over. In CA, I'll just pass the guy in his own lane, but I'll move over to the passenger side to let him know I'm there so he doesn't turn to the right thinking I'm waiting for him to move.
Agreed. If you're going to pass on the right, it's a good idea to make sure (as sure as you can anyway) that the dipshit in front of you knows what's going on.

I've been stuck behind a lot of people who just seem to freeze up when a bike appears. Usually older folks who don't know what to do, so they don't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
If after arriving behind the vehicle, you find that they haven't moved over, you change your indicator to a RIGHT SIGNAL, and pass on the right (which is wrong, but is the closest you'll ever come in real life to two wrongs making a right).
Hogging the left lane in Germany will get you a ticket. Passing on the right will cost you your license. The Germans do not fuck around when it comes to that shit.

Interestingly, Oklahoma didn't even have a "keep right, except to pass" law, until November of last year.

Passing on the right is obviously never the ideal solution. It's harder for suckmobile drivers to see what's going on in the right hand blind spot, than it is on the left.

Do I do it? Yeah, I'm with Dave. I'll pass on the left, the right, over a double yellow, on the shoulder, fuck it, I have a big ass dual sport, I'll pass you on the grass if I have to, but I do it knowing full well it's a risky maneuver.

JC

Last edited by askmrjesus; 06-30-2011 at 10:09 AM..
askmrjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #23
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Two hotheads traveling along screaming WTF at each over what they think they are entitled too.
You are supposed to keep right!!
You are supposed to look before changing lanes!!
You shouldn't be passing on right ( not to be confused with simple lane change to different flow of traffic)
You also can't exceed the speed limit.
You can't go screaming at other drivers.

Don't pay attentiont to anything in this post....I was just typing to keep busy while I was pooping.
See that big list? They are all independent items and can't be combined for extra prizes.

His hogging a lane doesn't entitle you to exceed the speed limit. His illegal lane change doesn't entitle you to engage other drivers using aggressive gestures or obscene language. When you changed lanes to pass you should have left it at the 3 beeps and gone about your day.

Having said all that, how quickly did you accelerate to pass on the right? That and I probably would have done the same thing you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer

Last edited by pauldun170; 06-30-2011 at 09:53 AM..
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:50 AM   #24
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

I'll indulge your blatant criticism of my riding style Paul....

1. My use of the WTF hand gesture is to get a driver's attention that they did something inappropriate, since most of them would otherwise have NO idea. I do not feel bad about this gesture, and I use it frequently, because as you well know, there are alot of stupid people out there that don't pay attention to or care about motorcycles.

2. He wasn't hogging the lane. He was moving over the line to block me. Only ever seen that before in California. Retarded move.

3. I was not speeding, and in fact, never exceeded the speed limit. I was going the speed limit and simply moved over, maintaining my rate of speed as I overpassed him.He was cruising along at 5 under, so your assertion that I overtook him at *oh my god we're going to die* speeds is incorrect.

4. I did not scream like a crazy person. If I had done that, I would have had the kickstand down and been off the bike, and well, when you're on two wheels, that's stupid. My survival instinct still works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Two hotheads traveling along screaming WTF at each over what they think they are entitled too.
You are supposed to keep right!!
You are supposed to look before changing lanes!!
You shouldn't be passing on right ( not to be confused with simple lane change to different flow of traffic)
You also can't exceed the speed limit.
You can't go screaming at other drivers.

See that big list? They are all independent items and can't be combined for extra prizes.

His hogging a lane doesn't entitle you to exceed the speed limit. His illegal lane change doesn't entitle you to engage other drivers using aggressive gestures or obscene language. When you changed lanes to pass you should have left it at the 3 beeps and gone about your day.

Having said all that, how quickly did you accelerate to pass on the right? That and I probably would have done the same thing you did.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:08 AM   #25
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Rex View Post
I'll indulge your blatant criticism of my riding style Paul....
I guess you didn't catch my edit

Quote:
1. My use of the WTF hand gesture is to get a driver's attention that they did something inappropriate
So you are an LEO or government agency, fully versed in traffic law and empowered by the state to interact with other drivers to educate them on state code?

Quote:
2. He wasn't hogging the lane. He was moving over the line to block me.
Well...if you are a cop why didn't you just arrest him under road rage laws?

Quote:
3. I was not speeding, and in fact, never exceeded the speed limit. I was going the speed limit and simply moved over, maintaining my rate of speed as I overpassed him.He was cruising along at 5 under, so your assertion that I overtook him at *oh my god we're going to die* speeds is incorrect.
What the hell were you doing in the left lane if you were just putting around doing speed limit? Why weren't you in the right lane? Did you have you lights and sirens on?

Quote:
4. I did not scream like a crazy person. If I had done that, I would have had the kickstand down and been off the bike, and well, when you're on two wheels, that's stupid. My survival instinct still works.
that makes no sense...first you say you would have been off the bike screaming like a crazy person and then you say that it is stupid if you are on 2wheels.
YOU JUST SAID YOU WERE OFF THE BIKE.

Quote:
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
Old 06-30-2011, 10:15 AM   #26
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
YOU JUST SAID YOU WERE OFF THE BIKE.
Where did he say that?

JC
Old 06-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #27
pauldun170
Serious Business

This reminds me of an incident I saw yesterday...I would have posted it earlier in the thread but earlier in the thread I was posting from the itouch while squeezing out a poop.

I'm driving along in the right lane (in the car), posted speed limit is 40mph..I'm going about 41.59875638628973 mph. I have 3 guys on "ze hogs" behind me (matching leather vest with "Knights of " something or another...bunch of little boy scout patches all over the place.) riding my ass.

they pull into the left lane to pass me (full throttle judging by the racket the bikes were making.
At the very same time the car in front of me changes lanes and moves left.
Tre bikerz are cut off immediately and the lead biker puposefully rides right up (about a foot away at 40 mph) on the cars ass and pulls up on the passenger side door (aka lane splitting) to throw unkind words and cartoonish hand gestures at the driver. The whole crew then precedes to blast off down the center robble robbling their way to whatever destination they are headed off too.

Summary.
bikes behind me and car in front of me change lanes to pass at same time.
The car did it like meh
The bikes did it like WOBBLE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBLE full throttle.
End result, car blocked bikers hog rockets from tearing up the joint and the bikers got all pissy withh the driver.

Biker boyz are going to go on and on about how some idiot cut them off when in fact they were totally in the wrong every step of the way.

I'm not saying the g-rex's situation was similar. Just that folks need to chill out.

Quote:
Old 06-30-2011, 10:24 AM   #28
pauldun170
Serious Business

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Where did he say that?

JC
(part 1)
Quote:
I did not scream like a crazy person.
If I had done that, I would have had the kickstand down and been off the bike,
(part 2)
Quote:
and well, when you're on two wheels, that's stupid.
My point is that he already said that if he were screaming then he'd be off the bike....not on two wheels.

Is it a good point?
No...but it is a point.

Quote:
Old 06-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #29
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Is it a good point?
No...but it is a point.
Despite the fact that you've already pooped (thanks for sharing, btw), I think you need more coffee.

Or less coffee, I'm not sure.

Flipping people off, after they've made a blatant attempt to fuck with you, seems reasonable.

That said, flipping people off, in an attempt to edumacate them, is a waste of time. Why? Because you are thinking that a reasonable person would think to themselves, "Wow, I just did something stupid, and I shouldn't do that anymore". In reality, that person is thinking, "That asshole on the bike is criminal hooligan."

I try, (key word try) not to lose my cool when people do stupid shit, but in the heat of the moment, that pesky finger sometimes goes up before I can stop it. Problem is, you don't know who you're dealing with. Motherfuckers can get run down or shot, over shit like that, so, yeah, not the best idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMc-T6z0YyM

JC

Last edited by askmrjesus; 06-30-2011 at 11:08 AM.. Reason: Remeber what happened to Billy...
askmrjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:14 AM   #30
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Seriously dude? Are you for real? The dude shouldnt have been in the left lane in the first place, especially if there are 2 lanes for the same direction of traffic. Left lane is for passing only. If he was cruising along in the left lane he should have moved well before he almost ran Grex over. Why the hell should Grex or anyone else need to wait on some asshole in the left lane to decide what HE wants to do when they are traveling at a higher rate of speed and can easily and safely pass if the other guy isnt a douchebag? It's not like its not hard to see a vehicle coming up behind you is traveling at a higher rate of speed (unless you arent paying attention to the road in thefirst place). If he waited till Grex was passing him to decide he shouldnt be driving in the PASSING lane, he's in the wrong for not paying attention to fellow traffic.
Why should he have to wait? Because it's a good idea.

I get GRex's opinion that this dude moved over intentionally, but it also happens a lot unintentionally. I've come up on people in the left lane when I'm impatient, and moved over pretty quickly to the right lane to pass them. Their slow-as-molasses ass saw me and decided to move, but they don't start actually moving over until I'm right in their blind spot. Even unintentional, they're still totally in the wrong, but that doesn't really help me much when their door is coming at me. Waiting a bit before passing on the right does help.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote