Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-31-2009, 01:10 AM   #21
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Well since I am going to Alaska and staying indefinitely it will be my final destination with the road to prudhoe bay being optional. If I opt out of it I may try it later in the summer when I could have a buddy follow me in his car.

Either way, the bike will get up there.

As the time to departure winds closer I am hoping to get some better information on the areas to ride out West from some of the west coast members. I will hit up the gap here.

I am also trying to get a rough estimate out of the mileage i can expect out of my tires. I was planning on budgeting for a new set depending on how they look in the weeks up to my departure.

Also, if I am running synthetic oil and running all these miles up, is it still needed to change at 3k miles even if that could literally occur 3 times over the trip? Could I extend it out to maybe 4K or 5k? Thoughts on the mileage I can expect on my sprocket and chain? I have 6k on the bike now.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:12 AM   #22
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post

as for the milepost... I've got a new one if you want it... I'm driving down from AK in Feb... actually I leave in 16 days. I'll give ya the book when I get down to mississippi... just remind me...
Hey man I don't mind paypaling you for the shipping if you are just giving it away. Thanks for the offer though, I will remind you after you get settled in.

Any chance you can start using up all that deserved paid time off? I can easily change my route and meet you if you wanted to tag along.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:23 AM   #23
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Well since I am going to Alaska and staying indefinitely it will be my final destination with the road to prudhoe bay being optional. If I opt out of it I may try it later in the summer when I could have a buddy follow me in his car.

Either way, the bike will get up there.

As the time to departure winds closer I am hoping to get some better information on the areas to ride out West from some of the west coast members. I will hit up the gap here.

I am also trying to get a rough estimate out of the mileage i can expect out of my tires. I was planning on budgeting for a new set depending on how they look in the weeks up to my departure.

Also, if I am running synthetic oil and running all these miles up, is it still needed to change at 3k miles even if that could literally occur 3 times over the trip? Could I extend it out to maybe 4K or 5k? Thoughts on the mileage I can expect on my sprocket and chain? I have 6k on the bike now.
switch to synthetic and you can extend out to 4-5k... your sprocket and chain depends on how you ride... I'd put a fresh set on right before the trip. as well as refresh all the fluids, oil, fork oil, brake fluid, headlight fluid... everything!

Quote:
Hey man I don't mind paypaling you for the shipping if you are just giving it away. Thanks for the offer though, I will remind you after you get settled in.

Any chance you can start using up all that deserved paid time off? I can easily change my route and meet you if you wanted to tag along.
Well how about we meet up for a ride in march... I'll be up there to pickup my new bike in TN... I'll bring the book with me and save the shipping

and unfortunately I can't... I'll be starting a new job in MS and won't be able to take big chunks of time off... I'm hope'n to be able to get a week for the Rally and another for Indy... and that's probably pushing it on both...
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:26 AM   #24
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

That works. I will be sure to change out all the fluids before the trip and do a complete break down of the bike. I need to take some serious time and make a list of important tools to use and start replacing the cheap crap suzuki provides.

Are you driving to TN to pick it up I assume? When in march? If I am still out of work then I can meet up when ever.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:32 AM   #25
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

I'm think'n of just fly'n up to ride down... more fun that way
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 AM   #26
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbs15 View Post
I'm think'n of just fly'n up to ride down... more fun that way
Awesome! Let me know, if you want a partner in crime I should be able to do it.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:13 PM   #27
G-Rex
Where to next?

Moto: TL1000R, Hayabusa, R1150RT

Quote:
I am also trying to get a rough estimate out of the mileage i can expect out of my tires. I was planning on budgeting for a new set depending on how they look in the weeks up to my departure..
I can squeeze 11k out of a set of Michelin pilot roads. They are great tires.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:10 PM   #28
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

That'd be some crazy shit right there. Do it to it!!!

Winter time though I'd try and stay as south as possible. Probably run through Louisiana to Southern Texas and then hit up Arizona, Nevada and then Southern Cali for a ride up the west coast. I'd love to ride through the desert in the middle of the night. I bet that is some peaceful stuff.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:21 AM   #29
Curb
resident gimp

Moto: a big ole steamin pile of nothin

good luck man, sounds like a blast...and let the florida people know when you are coming through.

Political correctness is killing this country
Curb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 01:50 PM   #30
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:

If the bike is at 6k on the original tires, I'd replace them before the trip. One thing I learned the hard way is that traveling long distances at higher speeds with a bunch of extra crap loaded on the bike can burn up a tire a LOT faster than normal riding.

I don't think 5k between changes will be an issue with synthetic.

As long as you keep the chain clean and oiled, 15k should be no problem for the chain... I actually got better than 25k out of the chain on my SV with a Scottoiler.
unknownroad is offline   Reply With Quote