Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-23-2009, 04:40 PM   #21
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Well it looks fine if that doesn't have you in a coil bind. If that is bottomed out you need more preload.

Really what you need is to go to www.racetech.com and see what they recommend as static sag and loaded sag. You will need a friend and a tape measure. Actually the intsructions are there on the site...

http://www.racetech.com/SubMenu.asp?...howPage=street

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #22
The Awesome
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
I generally scrub the whole back tire and have strips on the front as well and just figured as long as it rides well, handles well, etc that I wouldn't change anything but would be curious to know what you find out...
Part of that can be suspension setup, but a big contributing factor to this is that the average rider comes much closer to using the potential of the rear than the front. Using the capabilities of the front end of the bike is something few riders will ever explore, and this can leave parts of the front tire unused or barely used. Trying to read a tire can be a very complicated thing. There are a lot of variables involved, and many times people interpret what they are seeing incorrectly.
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #23
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
Part of that can be suspension setup, but a big contributing factor to this is that the average rider comes much closer to using the potential of the rear than the front. Using the capabilities of the front end of the bike is something few riders will ever explore, and this can leave parts of the front tire unused or barely used. Trying to read a tire can be a very complicated thing. There are a lot of variables involved, and many times people interpret what they are seeing incorrectly.
You are so right there. Although,I'll add that when I raised my rear suspension and lowered my front,I now have almost equal "chicken strips" front to back,where before my rears were almost gone and had huge front strips. A lot has to do with tire profile,tire pressure,etc.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:19 AM   #24
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
Agreed.

In general, on a sportbike, the front tire chicken strip is often a decent indicator of how far you're pushing. The rear strip is gone long before you are close to the limits.

You'll usually only see a front chicken strip completely gone on a track bike.

It doesn't mean your bike is set up incorrectly like you mention in your initial post though...

The edge profile of the front tire is usually a lot steeper than the rear because it's narrower and needs to be pinched together to fit on the narrow front rim... therefore it requires more lean angle to remove the front strip.

After being on the track my front tires still often have about 5mm of unused tire. I'm slow, though...
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #25
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Rogue was your bike lowered, that will also affect the handling. I dont think you would need other suspension components. First off the bike is set up stock for someone heavier than you, and with your riding style you realy may not need the high end suspension parts. Now if the SV had that damn rotary damper then yo uneed to get rid of that pos component.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #26
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceo012384 View Post
Agreed.

In general, on a sportbike, the front tire chicken strip is often a decent indicator of how far you're pushing. The rear strip is gone long before you are close to the limits.

You'll usually only see a front chicken strip completely gone on a track bike.

It doesn't mean your bike is set up incorrectly like you mention in your initial post though...

The edge profile of the front tire is usually a lot steeper than the rear because it's narrower and needs to be pinched together to fit on the narrow front rim... therefore it requires more lean angle to remove the front strip.

After being on the track my front tires still often have about 5mm of unused tire. I'm slow, though...

most the guys i ride with use ALL of the front on the street, and most on race tires...but i ride the same pace ? but i'm not too concerned with it, was really just wanting to make sure i wasnt bottoming the forks out

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Last edited by Yamerhaw; 03-24-2009 at 01:05 PM..
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #27
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Rogue was your bike lowered, that will also affect the handling. I dont think you would need other suspension components. First off the bike is set up stock for someone heavier than you, and with your riding style you realy may not need the high end suspension parts. Now if the SV had that damn rotary damper then yo uneed to get rid of that pos component.

Tom
Noooooo!!!!!! I refuse to give myself a handicap just because I'm short.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 PM   #28
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Noooooo!!!!!! I refuse to give myself a handicap just because I'm short.
to give yourself a handicap you'd need a ladder...

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 PM   #29
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Particle Man View Post
to give yourself a handicap you'd need a ladder...

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 PM   #30
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Har har! You're both funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post

Tom
Shush you. I carry a step stool with me and not afraid to set it in front of you so I can reach up and kick you in the knee caps.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote