Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-18-2009, 04:23 AM   #21
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Can one of you two link me to the tire thread? I would like to own both of you. LOL

Tye, if your talking about the ZX10r, it came stock with a 190/50, but I put a 190/55 on it and had suspension work done. If the rim can allow (smaller rims will actually make a 190 have less contact patch then a 180) a larger tire, it usually best to put a larger size if your concern is about contact patch. Usually you can get a bike to turn quick with chassis/suspension setup, but powering out of the corners requires grip. This is why GP racers run 200s...bike turns very well, but there is so much power they need the little extra contact patch. Would I run a 200? No, but a 190 on a liter is better than a 180, but a 180 on a 600 is usually better than a 190 unless the rim is wider.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 04-18-2009 at 04:27 AM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:28 AM   #22
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
Nope never said ANYONE. Just the previous owner of my bike.
Hey brainiac, the stock tire size for a 2005 ZX-10 is a 190/50/17. There is NOTHING wrong with replacing the rear tire with the size the bike came with and the size that it was engineered to use. Besides, 2CTs are awesome street tires, no one ever said they were good for track days. You're bringing a knife to a gunfight and complaining about the knife's lack of performance.

Quote:
Review of the 06 ZX10 said the rim was made wider than the previous year. Never said "special".
Another direct quote from you, you are right in a way. You said you rim is "extra wide" and "different" from mine.

*I was refering to my tires btw, not yours. If you could see mine, they almost literally looked squared off when I picked my bike up. Plus I like em coming to a "sharp" point, for a quick drop in/drop down, whatever you call it. My rim is apparently made extra wide to fit the bigger tire, and thus putting a lower profile on it leaves it handling less than optimal.(or at least says the physics in my head)

Quote:
OMG! I DO know he put the wrong size tire on it.
This is a DIRECT quote from you stating that the previous owner was a moron for putting a 190/50 on the bike!!

"However I have 2CTs Pilots on there now which are fairly new. They're actually starting to wear to a point now Whereas before the moron before me who traded the bike in on a harley, decided flat and wide was a better tire choice. (190/50 )"

Quote:
Ya I can tell by your awesome wheelies.
Ummm, I wasn't making a stunt video..... or even a "look how fast I am video". Quit frankly, the whole thing was a joke that only a fucktard like you would take seriously. I never claimed to be dragging knee or doing tricks. Look at the title to this thread, you couldn't tell it was just for fun?

Quote:
K. This was uh, exactly my point. Thanks for reaffirming.
Ummm...what's your point? Both of these Bridgestone tires are 190/50/17s but their profiles are different. The tire's "size" isn't the deciding factor, it's the tire's construction that is the deciding factor... You know what? Go ahead and put a 180 on that bike. Let me know how you like that high side, Sparky!

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 04-18-2009 at 06:26 PM..
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 05:53 AM   #23
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Can one of you two link me to the tire thread? I would like to own both of you. LOL

Tye, if your talking about the ZX10r, it came stock with a 190/50, but I put a 190/55 on it and had suspension work done. If the rim can allow (smaller rims will actually make a 190 have less contact patch then a 180) a larger tire, it usually best to put a larger size if your concern is about contact patch. Usually you can get a bike to turn quick with chassis/suspension setup, but powering out of the corners requires grip. This is why GP racers run 200s...bike turns very well, but there is so much power they need the little extra contact patch. Would I run a 200? No, but a 190 on a liter is better than a 180, but a 180 on a 600 is usually better than a 190 unless the rim is wider.

You ain't owning nothing buddy! I pointed out that his bike has a 6" rim just like all liter class sport bikes. 600s have a 5.5" rim and that's why they take a 180 series tire. BTW I mentioned chassis setup, he's not interested. He thinks he's gonna solve all his problems with a 180 series or a 190/55 tire. Whatever, who cares?

For the record, my suspension has been upgraded by Racetech (springs,fluid and emulator-forks and spring,fluid,valve kit-shock), my forks are 8mm down in the triples and my shock is 6mm up at the mount. I considered the swing arm pivot inserts but I'm not that serious. Hell, the only reason I did all this shit was because I had a lowside just before winter in Mi (day after Thanksgiving) when I first got the bike so I had insurance money and a BUNCH of time!
Old 04-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #24
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Besides, 2CTs are awesome street tires, no one ever said they were good for track days.
Actually they ARE good for track days, unless you have more than just 4-5 trackdays under your belt and have gotten good enough to ride in the advanced groups, in which case you might start pressing the limits of that tire, especially on a hot day. Otherwise, buying a better tire is a waste of money for 99% of riders out there. It cracks me up how people pay up the ass for the latest tires even though they've only been to the track a couple of times, if at all. I'm not talking about you since I don't know anything about you, just riders in general. A pro or even just a club racer could blow away any of you guys on STOCK tires against any of you guys riding on your high-priced tires.

I always hear people around my neck of the woods saying "Oh I need more grip, I'm gettin loose out there" .....And they are just riding the street. How about these guys practice some throttle control, good lines, and body position first.

But hey, if people want to buy $350 sets of soft tires that only last 3-4K miles on the street, more power to them........It helps the oil industry I guess.

Flame suit ON

Last edited by Homeslice; 04-18-2009 at 11:04 AM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #25
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Hey brainiac, the stock tire size for a 2006 ZX-10 is a 190/50/17. There is NOTHING wrong with replacing the rear tire with the size the bike came with and the size that it was engineered to use. Besides, 2CTs are awesome street tires, no one ever said they were good for track days. You're bringing a knife to a gunfight and complaining about the knife's lack of performance.
http://www.amadirectlink.com/riding/...X10R/ZX10R.asp

Tell me where it says it comes with that size tire.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 11:15 AM   #26
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Quote:

Check again!

And I know need a little more grip coming out the turns. I seem to be a leaving a few black marks on some exits(and mid-turns). Smooth consistent throttle control has earned me a little less grip.

For Homeslice -

I ride the track, and after the 2 sessions I've run this year, the tires are breakin lose. Mostly on exit, BUT slightly in the turns. But I will and can agree good lines and body position are key and still something I, and almost everyone who rides the track, can always learn on.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:45 AM   #27
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Actually they ARE good for track days, unless you have more than just 4-5 trackdays under your belt and have gotten good enough to ride in the advanced groups, in which case you might start pressing the limits of that tire, especially on a hot day. Otherwise, buying a better tire is a waste of money for 99% of riders out there. It cracks me up how people pay up the ass for the latest tires even though they've only been to the track a couple of times, if at all. I'm not talking about you since I don't know anything about you, just riders in general. A pro or even just a club racer could blow away any of you guys on STOCK tires against any of you guys riding on your high-priced tires.

I always hear people around my neck of the woods saying "Oh I need more grip, I'm gettin loose out there" .....And they are just riding the street. How about these guys practice some throttle control, good lines, and body position first.

But hey, if people want to buy $350 sets of soft tires that only last 3-4K miles on the street, more power to them........It helps the oil industry I guess.

Flame suit ON

Oh I agree with this statement but shit, if you ever have read any of my posts you know that I don't pay top dollar for ANYTHING! After a whole bunch of wrangling, I ended up paying $180 shipped for the set of BT-002s sitting in my living room. If you know anybody stupid enough to pay $350 for a set of tires, send them my way. I'll make a hundred a set off of them! The only "exception" I take to what you've said is that regardless of how you ride, I don't see anything wrong with wanting to have the best equipment available. Whether it be tires, or gear or frankly, anything.

Besides, didn't you watch this video? You know EVERYTHING about me! How I ride or have ever ridden. How long of wheelies I am capable of. How fast I am capable of going. What kind of curves I am able to negotiate. Yep, I'm an open book. This is all there is wrapped up in two 4 minute videos.....

Last edited by Amber Lamps; 04-18-2009 at 12:14 PM..
Old 04-18-2009, 12:03 PM   #28
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Tell me where it says it comes with that size tire.

You know what? You are absolutely right! I'm a dumbass! I could have sworn you had a 2005 ZX-10 but you have a 2006! Oh well, the joke is on me! I'm sure that you'll be much happier once you fit the 190/55/17 to your bike. The guy that owned your bike was a moron! He probably didn't want to fork out the extra cash for the 190/55 tire. Geez, that's what I get for not checking the year of the bike better. Sorry about that. Good luck with your racing career!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #29
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

Psst... the 2006 did come with a 190/55/17 tire.... I thought that he had a 2005 ZX-10... and because what size tire he wanted to install was never mentioned, I thought he wanted to put a 180/55/17 on his bike... Oh well, at least I'm not a moron all by myself!
Old 04-18-2009, 12:14 PM   #30
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Quote:
You know what? You are absolutely right! I'm a dumbass! I could have sworn you had a 2005 ZX-10 but you have a 2006! Oh well, the joke is on me! I'm sure that you'll be much happier once you fit the 190/55/17 to your bike. The guy that owned your bike was a moron! He probably didn't want to fork out the extra cash for the 190/55 tire. Geez, that's what I get for not checking the year of the bike better. Sorry about that. Good luck with your racing career!
*underneath my avatar

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 05 GSXR750(hers)

Again where you get the idea I'm a racer is beyond me. But since you always want to jump ahead, that's fine. However I don't quite see myself as a future racer.