Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-29-2009, 12:23 AM   #21
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Casters TLR was one of the nicest bikes ive ever seen.
Didnt he have a full carbon fiber body kit on his? I love the Sebi-moto set.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:26 AM   #22
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antwanny View Post
dyno sheet right here full yoshi exhaust power commander custom mapped, 105 at the rear wheel. Ill upload the sheet if i must. But i will agree it is quite easy to mess with dynos.
not only that but different dynos will give you different numbers. two different people could get different numbers. tire pressure, new tire or old, compound...lots of variables.
Old 06-29-2009, 12:34 AM   #23
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Yes...Dyno numbers are ridiculously innaccurate, but would that not work to all bikes, all makes and all mods? I think the arguement is stupid...but its also stupid to call whole group of riders who try every possible way to upgrade a an old, out of date engine and wring the absolute last horsepower out of it in the least invasive-least expensive way possible...but thats about 75% of anyone who owns a bike/car.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:35 AM   #24
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zed View Post
Tigger, ^^^ that right there was what the argument really boiled down to. I asked how many people on the forum/in that thread was Dyno certified. I have had the class and the certification and oddly enough was the only one in the argument that was.
Yea, we all have our pet arguments I guess. I was just looking at an Akrapovic ad and they claim only 7.8 hp with a full system on an R1... that's only about 5% and that's from arguably the best exhaust manufacturer there is! For the record, btw, a couple teams were racing TLRs around that time in AMA Superbike and getting their asses handed to them by 750s, I'm just saying...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 AM   #25
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
Sorry, I forgot how easy it is to fudge dyno numbers...my bad. I never said it was my bike with those numbers...but its the net, assumptions are made as fast as sarcastic comments. I have read a number of articles and seen dyno sheets of a Yosh pipe boosting power to 115 before mapping or any other intake/ehxaust mods...but any one can argue that dyno figures can be fudged, by the way...thats over 25% increase with just exhaust...but thats just ridiculous...right?
Ummm... bro 98 hp to 115 is roughly 15%...Am I missing something?
Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 AM   #26
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Ummm... bro 98 hp to 115 is roughly 15%...Am I missing something?
The number I saw from a buddy and a UK tuner said the number they were closer to was 88-92 stock at the rear wheel, I also saw the increase was to 119 but I went with the lower number because of the variances in attendants and dyno varibles.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:54 AM   #27
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
The number I saw from a buddy and a UK tuner said the number they were closer to was 88-92 stock at the rear wheel, I also saw the increase was to 119 but I went with the lower number because of the variances in attendants and dyno varibles.
Oh okay... well anyway, the TLR is a great streetbike and they sound awesome with the Yosh pipes so I'm not sure what this is all about but claiming, by your numbers, a 60+ hp increase from a 90 hp bike... well, again that's pretty crazy but who knows? I don't claim to know everything about bikes and engines but damn that's 66% now without cracking the cases... Even at 135 hp that's a fuck load of power even with a big bore kit!
Old 06-29-2009, 01:12 AM   #28
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Oh okay... well anyway, the TLR is a great streetbike and they sound awesome with the Yosh pipes so I'm not sure what this is all about but claiming, by your numbers, a 60+ hp increase from a 90 hp bike... well, again that's pretty crazy but who knows? I don't claim to know everything about bikes and engines but damn that's 66% now without cracking the cases... Even at 135 hp that's a fuck load of power even with a big bore kit!
The mods are everything a person can do without cracking the block(Exhaust, TRE, Ignition, electrical and and so on...) which is really alot if you knew how choked and piss poor the electrical and intake/exhaust are on this bike stock. It does look like a huge jump and seems improbable, but if you own one or have spent a lot of hours doing these mods, it is possible to get a good amount of power from the mods that have been worked out for this bike.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 AM   #29
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
The mods are everything a person can do without cracking the block(Exhaust, TRE, Ignition, electrical and and so on...) which is really alot if you knew how choked and piss poor the electrical and intake/exhaust are on this bike stock. It does look like a huge jump and seems improbable, but if you own one or have spent a lot of hours doing these mods, it is possible to get a good amount of power from the mods that have been worked out for this bike.
another thing about it is that I find it really hard to believe that the manufacturer would put something out with such an intentional handicap when just a few changes could have made it much better.

the instructor that taught the Dyno class had worked for SpuerTrapp designing exhaust, he said it was usually very hard to get any improvement over the stock exhaust. materials to reduce weight was what he said was one of the things they could usually do.

I got a short ride on a TLR, thought it was great. that and an RC51 would be the only non Kawasaki (big 4 anyway) that I would like to own. you are right, they sound awesome. I got to hear an RC51 going around the track at Daytona several years ago at a practice session. don't know if awesome actually fits for that experience it was so good.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:18 AM   #30
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Arghh!!! I lost a post! I looked up dyno numbers from a couple sources and came up with 121 hp from a stock TLR so 135 hp isn't unreasonable and 150 hp would be "obtainable" with some head work and a bit of a massage...