Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 04-07-2010, 06:58 PM   #291
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
Why are you against junk food being more expensive than healthy foods?
Me?

I'm not.

I'm 100% in favor of putting a steep "stupid tax" on it just like cigarettes.
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 PM   #292
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
Im not American, so quite frankly, the healthcare arguement doesnt affect me. And im not against putting warning labels on HFCS, the problem is, people know the shit is unhealthy already. A warning wont make a difference.

But, banning it is not going to solve the obesity problem. Obese people, for the most part, have no desire to change themselves. You can pull it off the market, and make soda with sugar again. Its still not going to be good for them, and its not going to stop them from drinking the shit.

You know as well as I do, when you raise blood sugar levels, the body stores fat. Table sugar raises insulin levels, almost as quickly as HFCS does, and makes the body store fat. Taking in more calories then you can burn, causes the body to store fat. You can take HFCS off the market, its not going to change the fact that people are greedy, and will constantly overeat.
I understand your point, but if you only put out fruits, vegetables, lean meats and good fats in front of the sheep, that is all the sheep will eat. I know this may sound simplistic, but it's pure truth.

My opinion is to leave HFCS alone and quit Nationalizing AND subsidizing everything. Whenever the government does either, it fucks with the balance of things. We see this in all industries.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #293
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
Me?

I'm not.

I'm 100% in favor of putting a steep "stupid tax" on it just like cigarettes.
So is it that you're opposed to healthy foods being cheaper then?
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:37 PM   #294
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
So is it that you're opposed to healthy foods being cheaper then?
You've lost me here, Chief....I've no idea what your asking...or more importantly, why.

Seriously, though...I asked you earlier...you think that the concept of Joe Q Public taking the initiative to investigate healthier eating options is an impossibility...why? And if Joe Q Public is NOT willing to assume that responsibility, who IS?
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:50 PM   #295
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
You've lost me here, Chief....I've no idea what your asking...or more importantly, why.

Seriously, though...I asked you earlier...you think that the concept of Joe Q Public taking the initiative to investigate healthier eating options is an impossibility...why? And if Joe Q Public is NOT willing to assume that responsibility, who IS?
I'm just trying to understand your opposition to changing our fast food type culture.

Joe Q Public just isn't "smart" enough. I put smart in quotations because smart is an interchangeable world there, but most people simply don't have enough curiosity to change their way of thinking.

Pretty much everyone I know, myself included, grew up on junk food. We chugged sodas, we ate Doritos, got pizza everyday at lunch in school. The only nutrition info we ever received as children was the basic food groups and the goddamn food pyramid. That in turn is how we ate when we grew up and how our children under us are learning to eat... Cycle.

Intelligent, thinking, reasoning, responsible people do not need government intervention in their lives, they've got this under control. But unfortunately, intelligent people also tend to breed less indiscriminately and are therefore outnumbered by you know who. Those people need guidance in their lives to make intelligent decisions. Its why they go places that teach them a predetermined set of morals, its why they function well in cubicles, can't use a blinker when they turn, etc. etc. etc. Those people are brainwashed from a very early age by an overwhelming advertising campaign that champions the shit out of everything that is unhealthy. They are simply not going to one day decide there is something fishy going on with their food supply. Dude, just three days ago I had an argument with a guy saying that cigarettes are not bad for your health, I'm not kidding man...some people, fucking most people, aren't smart enough to get it. They have their preset mentality and they will stick with it until they die.

This forum is not representative of most people. On average, people who ride motorcycles and survive long enough to post on the internet about it are above average thinkers. You can easily see that in the debates that run this board, full of intelligent and wonderment on both sides.

Now, since I'm fucking tired of watching those fat motherfuckers walking around and being nasty in front of me, I believe the system needs to be investigated and changed to put more healthy food in front of people. 101lifts nailed it on the head, if you put the good foods in front of them then that's what they're going to eat. I'm highly opposed to freedom of choice restrictions for even the dumbest of our society, but that does not mean we should continue to blindly support a system that uses AMERICAN TAX DOLLARS to subsidize the main culprit in our fast food society, good ol' motherfucking corn.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird

Last edited by Kaneman; 04-07-2010 at 09:24 PM..
Old 04-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #296
MILK
The cows want you dead.

There was an article recently detailing a schools attempt to change its lunches. (No I don't remember which school and I'm not bothering to look it up.)

The school began only offering healthy foods to the kids. Something I for one am FOR and always have been. The theory being that if that's all there is to eat, they will eat it right? Guess what? The kids started bringing their lunches!

You know what? I also know WAY TOO MANY intelligent people that are fat. It's not just about smarts. I also know people I don't consider intelligent (my ex) who are fat NOW but 9 years ago when I met him he exercised and ate healthy foods.

I personally know some pretty smart people that have had gastric bypass. Why? Because it's EASIER to have someone surgically shrink their stomach and force them to eat smaller meals rather than choosing to do it themselves. Gastric bypass is forced behavior modification and intelligent people do it and frame it as something else..

Oh and I lived on pizza and ice cream in high school too. That doesn't mean that's what I ate the rest of my life.

Last edited by MILK; 04-08-2010 at 08:44 AM..
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:45 AM   #297
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Sounds like all the more reason to eliminate corn subsidies and retool our agriculture system.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:36 AM   #298
shmike
Follower

True story:

Quote:
Man cannot survive except by gaining knowledge, and reason is his only means to gain it. Reason is the faculty that perceives, identifies and integrates the material provided by his senses. The task of his senses is to give him the evidence of existence, but the task of identifying it belongs to his reason, his senses tell him only that something is, but what it is must be learned by his mind.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #299
AquaPython
put it THIS way

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
There was an article recently detailing a schools attempt to change its lunches. (No I don't remember which school and I'm not bothering to look it up.)

The school began only offering healthy foods to the kids.

...The kids started bringing their lunches!

Oh and I lived on pizza and ice cream in high school too. That doesn't mean that's what I ate the rest of my life.
This is called cherry picking. A lot of people on here excel at this. Just because your personal experience is something different than the loads of data that is accessible, or you found one article that shows one outlier statistical anamoly, basically doesn't mean shit. It's the same thing with climate change.

Again, if you people bothered to read the abundant informative resources supplied in this thread alone, you would have seen that schools that removed soda machines and junk food had mean weight loss school wide.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:13 AM   #300
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

An ex of mine had gastric bypass. She still lived and ate like a fat girl. She would preach to me about a little glaze on the fish I ordered but spent weekends living on nothing but beer and didn't think twice about it. People that get fat off HFCS have behavior issues and will find something else to get fat on, be it beer, sugar, or whatever.

Last edited by Sean; 04-08-2010 at 10:19 AM..
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote