Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 07-30-2009, 10:17 PM   #31
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Which probably has nothing to do with the current state of the auto industry.
Come on. 9-13years of schooling owns 20years of schooling any day of the week.
Old 08-01-2009, 06:28 AM   #32
zer0t
Kneedragger

Moto: 2003 FLSTCI 2008 KTM RC8

In my field many folks have math degrees. My undergrad degrees are math and computer science and my grad degree is math. The only time I taught a class was as a guest lecturer for mathematical finance class.

I truly believe that the purpose of the article was to say that any degree that is going to pay well (at the start) requires you to be strong in math rather than to be particular about the degrees in the list.

Also, it basically points out most kids going to college suck at math and shy away from difficult engineering degrees.

From the article:

"Math is at the crux of who gets paid," said Ed Koc, director of research at NACE. "If you have those skills, you are an extremely valuable asset. We don't generate enough people like that in this country."

Top non-engineering fields. Only three of the 15 top paying degrees were outside the field of engineering -- but they each still require math skills.

How many times have you heard in your high school algebra classes, "When am I ever going to use this in the real world?"
zer0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 07:18 AM   #33
t-homo
WSB Champion

yeah, if you can get a job right now. My brother graduated in may with a bachelors in electrical engineering and still can't find a job. on another note, a guy graduated from our house a year ago as the highest paid grad from the school with a bachelor's in petroleum engineering. after his signing bonus, he said he was going to make 120,000 his first year.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #34
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

^ key word 'said', lol
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #35
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
^ key word 'said', lol
Even if "said" is true, how much that the guy will be in major debt in a few years. My buddies who graduated college and got decent jobs making $55k+ are already in major debt. New cars, crazy trips, and blowing money like it's their parents college money.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:54 AM   #36
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
and blowing money like it's their parents college money.
Haha. Don't people get degrees in fields they want to do? Instead of something that will make them a ton of money. You wouldn't believe how many people I've met that used to be lawyers, but got out because it was too crazy.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #37
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
Haha. Don't people get degrees in fields they want to do? Instead of something that will make them a ton of money. You wouldn't believe how many people I've met that used to be lawyers, but got out because it was too crazy.
Most college grads I know go in for Aerospace engineering and come out with a Business and Management degree and run/wait the local Ruby Tuesday.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:03 AM   #38
zer0t
Kneedragger

Moto: 2003 FLSTCI 2008 KTM RC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Worries View Post
This is definitely what people should do, but doesn't always work out for everyone for a variety of reasons. And it's funny you use the lawyer example because a buddy of mine, a former lawyer, got out and bought 4 dunkin donut stores and he is much happier.
zer0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #39
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Most college grads I know go in for Aerospace engineering and come out with a Business and Management degree and run/wait the local Ruby Tuesday.
Because they suck at math. When I was busting my ass doing homework and design projects and sitting in classes with a ratio of 1 girl for every 10 guys I used to joke that business majors have it made.
EpyonXero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 12:01 AM   #40
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Because they suck at math. When I was busting my ass doing homework and design projects and sitting in classes with a ratio of 1 girl for every 10 guys I used to joke that business majors have it made.
I remember at my buddy's graduation at GA Southern they had an entire football field packed with students. They had each major stand up. They had the nursing majors stand up and maybe a 100people stood up. Then they called the Mechanical Engineering and Tech and there were 15 (my friend was one of them) and then 3/4 of the field stood up when they called the Business majors.

One of his buddies who was a business major went up to him and said "I'm taking Calculus" (actually it was Business Calculus) and my buddy looked at the book and laughed. He told him that was basically the first two chapters of his Cal.

But that's why my buddy is 24 bringing in $60k a year designing weapon training systems for militaries and law enforcement agencies while that guy is well, driving a bread truck.