Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-16-2010, 05:20 PM   #31
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Scanners don’t detect contraband in body cavities.
I thought they did?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #32
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
I thought they did?
External only iirc

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:23 PM   #33
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
I thought they did?
Nope, you can put a razor blade in your mouth and the thing wouldnt see it. Hell, you can put the barrel of a handgun up your ass and the rest conspicuously taken apart in your carry on (if placed right it wouldnt look like much to a xray scanner if it was made out of those cool composites), then assemble it after security. Even worse you dont actually need to put anything IN your body, all you need to do is slide something dangerous between your toes or your ass cheeks and scanner thing cant see it.

Add to that how easy it is to fool the loophole in airport security that allows even the most inept terrorists on the no fly list a way to get on a plane

http://www.slate.com/id/2152507/

Next time I fly if I have to go through that I'm gonna tell the TSA guy that I'm gay and I could use a tug, see how much he likes touching me then.

I can't go through the scanner anyway, I talked to a doctor about it and he said because of my track record with skin cancer I should avoid radiation whenever possible. The backscatter machines just dump radiation onto your skin, most of which gets absorbed in the outer layers, give it a few years and I will almost bet there will be a huge number of TSA employees in a class action suit who have radiation sickness or are sterile or have skin cancer or something like that. These are small steady doses, and none of these people are wearing lead coverings.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:33 PM   #34
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post

Next time I fly if I have to go through that I'm gonna tell the TSA guy that I'm gay and I could use a tug, see how much he likes touching me then.
You watch: they will bring a civil suit against YOU for sexual harassment even though YOU are the one getting felt up

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #35
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
I can't go through the scanner anyway, I talked to a doctor about it and he said because of my track record with skin cancer I should avoid radiation whenever possible. The backscatter machines just dump radiation onto your skin, most of which gets absorbed in the outer layers, give it a few years and I will almost bet there will be a huge number of TSA employees in a class action suit who have radiation sickness or are sterile or have skin cancer or something like that. These are small steady doses, and none of these people are wearing lead coverings.
Are you serious about this? My dad's side has a problem with cancer, and I'd like to know if this backscatter thing is really a significant risk. What did your doctor actually say? What about internal organs? From what you are saying it only penetrates skin-deep and no more?

Last edited by Homeslice; 11-16-2010 at 08:31 PM..
Old 11-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #36
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Great, looking forward flying again first week after thanksgiving!

I can't wait to see what happens because I won't be laying down for any government installed programs whom have caught 0 terrorists.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #37
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Quote:
Are you serious about this? My dad's side has a problem with cancer, and I'd like to know if this backscatter thing is really a significant risk. What did your doctor actually say? What about internal organs? From what you are saying it only penetrates skin-deep and no more?
It's radiation regardless of the wavelength... There would have to be some skin penetration. The machine would only be able to pick up what was reflected back but your body has to absorb some of it.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #38
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Doc said that there is conflicting studies for and against the back scatter machines. The TSA and backscatter company commissioned studies all say that they are harmless and give off less radiation than you would get in a flight, most likely scientific propoganda that was analyzed in a way to distort the data to one viewpoint. Other studies have said otherwise, that the amount of radiation per scan is 1/10th of a regular xray.

Xrays are bad for you, they cause all kinds of nasty stuff, genetic deformations and cancer, organ failure, plus other stuff that we don't even yet know of. 1/10th of an xray doesnt seem like much, until you find out that an xray gives off many times the amount of radiation that you would get in week, months or years of your life. Too much radiation on yor balls or ovaries can also cause leukiemia in your children. The folks that do xrays always stand behind a lead lined shield or in a lead lined room, why should this bombardment of radiation be any different? or will the fact that they (along with every other person who is in the area stand off to the side) protect them?

Personally i just don't see any reason to subject myself to more radiation than I need to, especially not for a useless security measure such as this. All it really is, is a look at what we are doing to make it a little bit harder measure. What about the trains & train stations? How about Malls, highways, bridges, tunnels? You want to pull a big job? Go strap times explosives to your chest with a dead mans trigger and start shooting into a crowd with a machine gun and when the cops finally kill you and they secure the scene, 2 minutes after you die it goes boom. Do it in a public place and get a months worth of news cyles, do it in the mall of america.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #39
Homeslice
Elitist

Well, most people get multiple zaps to their head by a dentist every year. Plus if they break an arm or something, that's another one. So, I dunno. 1/10th of an x-ray doesn't seem like a big deal unless you fly often. I was looking forward to using it as an excuse, lol.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #40
derf
token jewboy

Quote:
Well, most people get multiple zaps to their head by a dentist every year. Plus if they break an arm or something, that's another one. So, I dunno. 1/10th of an x-ray doesn't seem like a big deal unless you fly often. I was looking forward to using it as an excuse, lol.
I flew 128 times last year, and I expect to fly just under 50 times this year, for me it is a big deal. Dental and medical xrays are worth the trade off to me, inept security is not.

Not that any current security measures are worth a damn anyway, I could make a pretty bad ass shank in 5 minutes with a lighter, toothbrush and a disposable razor, even a crappy few use disposable low velocity handgun could easily be passed through security. If I really wanted to fuck up a plane all I had to do is drive down to the airport and lob a grenade over the fence to a plane that is pulling out of the jetway. I am not sure, but I think I'm the only person who sees these holes in security.

Last edited by derf; 11-16-2010 at 09:44 PM..
derf is offline   Reply With Quote