Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #31
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Yes. As you also chose to ride too fast through town when you broke your pelvis?

And neither of us paid for any medical care, so I think they're both bad examples..
touche

(even though I was not at fault)
Old 07-21-2009, 09:18 AM   #32
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

My initial reaction to this was that it is BS and it is their job and no fine should be imposed BUT after reading some of the replies here and then re-reading the article I feel differently.

The reason is due to these few lines right here...

Quote:
a 9-year-old New Hampshire law that allows lost hikers and climbers to be charged for rescue costs. Mason's rescue was particularly expensive because the helicopters the state typically used were unavailable, and a helicopter from Maine had to be brought in, Acerno said.
Ok this is the law where he was hiking...plain and simple...ignorance is not a defense.

Quote:
Mason was negligent in continuing up the mountain with an injury and veering off the marked path, Acerno said. Negligence, he said, is based on judging what a reasonable person would do in the same situation.

When I twist my ankle, I turn around and come down. He kept going up, Acerno said.

It was his negligence that led to him getting into that predicament," he said. "Once he was in that predicament, yes, that's what we praise him for — he used his Boy Scout skills, and that's why he's still alive.
The kid made bad decisions...the law is the law and it was his own fault. The marked trail is there for a reason...stay the fvck on it.

I don't however agree with the amount of the fine...something more reasonable should be worked out imho.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:37 AM   #33
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

I didn't read all of this, but when I got hit the Fire Department sent me a bill. I found out last night that according to my health insurance provider only about half of it was 'In Network' so I am going to have to pay for the rest of it out of pocket. Sucks to be at the wrong place at the wrong time.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:49 AM   #34
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

We have the same fine type of situation here.

Idiots who attempt to drive through obviously flooded areas with fast moving water get to pay for the rescue costs. It happens every year during the monsoon season.
defector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:23 AM   #35
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post

I don't however agree with the amount of the fine...something more reasonable should be worked out imho.
Yet this is exactly what's going to happen with these types of laws.

Its just another way to get more money out of the general population. At some point the majority of people are going to need some public assistance of some kind, not just stupid people Rider.
________
Sell Vaporizers

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:36 PM..
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:31 AM   #36
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Derf, the kid was an idiot. Everybody knows that much like crashing, getting lost is a choice.

I just have to quote it cuz this made me laugh.

I started off thinking I agree 100% with Kaneman, but after reading some of the replies, this is a tough one. I dont beleive people should be fined for needing assistance, like a house burning down, or becoming lost. But at the same time, I think people should have to pay for being idiots. I dont know which side to lean towards...

What about the child that get seperated from his boy scout troop while camping in the woods? Should he pay?

What about the climbers on Mt. Everest, hit by a random spring storm that wasnt on the radar when they left base camp?

Or the climber who slipped on rocks and fell 100 feet down the mountain and broke his legs and cant climb out?
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #37
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post

I started off thinking I agree 100% with Kaneman, but after reading some of the replies, this is a tough one. I dont beleive people should be fined for needing assistance, like a house burning down, or becoming lost. But at the same time, I think people should have to pay for being idiots. I dont know which side to lean towards...

What about the child that get seperated from his boy scout troop while camping in the woods? Should he pay?

What about the climbers on Mt. Everest, hit by a random spring storm that wasnt on the radar when they left base camp?

Or the climber who slipped on rocks and fell 100 feet down the mountain and broke his legs and cant climb out?
And then, who decides what "being an idiot" really means? Is it....piloting a vehicle at 70mph with no seat-belt, airbags, ABS, and safety cage around cars that weigh 10 times as much?
________
Body Science

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:37 PM..
Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 AM   #38
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

It's a long-ass QFT, but here's a QFT nonetheless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
House fires are also almost always preventable. Why would the FD not charge people for this too? You left the candle burning, you left the stove on, you haven't had your electrical system checked lately. The fire is YOUR fault, now YOU get to pay. Hey, at least they saved your cat. (That'll cost ya too)

I don't see how either scenario is different from a hiker becoming lost and needing a life-saving rescue. Yes, its his fault he got lost and he probably should've stayed on the path. It is a mistake, it should not result in a debt that will burden him for years to come.
I wonder if the Town will catch wind of this and start charging for lifeguard rescues down here... i think they're up to 140 already this season.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:24 AM   #39
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post

I wonder if the Town will catch wind of this and start charging for lifeguard rescues down here... i think they're up to 140 already this season.
Exactly, I could easily argue that swimming in the ocean is incredibly dangerous, irresponsible and basically makes you an idiot. Undertow, sharks, jellyfish, cramps, waves....its like a scene out of Hostile in there. The kind of idiot that swims in the ocean deserves to have to pay for his stupidity if/when he needs a rescue. If it weren't for idiots like those of you that swim in the ocean we wouldn't even need lifeguard services so if you need a rescue you can pay for a whole week of their salary!

And of course you could easily use the same argument against motorcyclists.

I get the point that people with brains hate stupid people, but do you really want the government deciding what's stupid and what's not? Or maybe we should all drive to work in a Ford Excursion with 20 airbags, sit in our safe little cubicles for 9 hours and go straight home....just to be on the safe side.
________
Vaporizer Wholesaler

Last edited by Kaneman; 05-09-2011 at 08:37 PM..
Old 07-21-2009, 12:30 PM   #40
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post

Yep that's what I think/wonder as well. I also started off 100 % agreeing with Kaneman...read the replies and then read the story once again and it is a tough one imho.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote