little piggies 4 26.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2009, 08:03 AM   #31
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Another point to make, H1N1 is not new, it's been around forever and there was a similiar outbreak back in the early 70's..
yep - it's not new, but it's back. And the thing is, it's targeting and killing a healthy population of people. Our age group... And it's moving fast. It has potential to be very destructive. This is what people have to take seriously. If it was "just the flu" as people state, there wouldn't be all this world wide effort to combat this out break.
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #32
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchick View Post
Nurses on the step down unit I used to work on received one young lady from ICU. They had to wean her off a vent. 25 years old, almost died, on full support with a trach - post H1N1. She was healthy prior to this. They theorize b/c she was taking her birth control around the clock, she was like a pregnant woman (no periods) and was more susceptible to the "swine"flu. (higher risk population).

I know some people aren't concerned about this epidemic, but when people with far greater medical/historical knowledge are going to all this world wide effort..... they might want to consider a vaccination.

Vaccinations and immunizations are why we get to enjoy a fairly healthy life. For those that don't get them, you are depending on the herd to keep you healthy. This is why things like whooping cough are coming back. It's like doing "group work" and someone doesn't pull their weight. When people don't get vaccinations or immunizations, others suffer.

Anyway.. off my soap box. I don't want to be attached to a ventilator. I'll be doing my research and sticking out my arm.

Kirsty
One of the odd things that has been reported in recent outbreaks of H1N1, is that it seems to have a greater chance of seriously affecting members of the group that traditionally aren't; young adults through middle-age.

I'll be stuck in a pandemic planning session next Friday. Whoop-dee-do. At least they're serving pizza.

The websites that claim vaccination causes autism always make me laugh. The Amish don't report autism? The Amish don't report much of anything. They claimed that mercury was the additive that was causing autism. Well in Canada virtually no vaccinations have included mercury for at least 2 decades, but the autism rate seems to be about the same as in the US. In fact the autism rate isn't statistically different between vaccinated and unvaccinated children. An ex-Playmate starts spouting off and she's taken more seriously than doctors. Sheesh.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:09 AM   #33
cbrchick
Canyon Carver

Moto: Honda CBR 600, Yamaha Zuma 50, Suzuki SV1000

From the WHO website.

Not the same as seasonal influenza

Current evidence points to some important differences between patterns of illness reported during the pandemic and those seen during seasonal epidemics of influenza.

The age groups affected by the pandemic are generally younger. This is true for those most frequently infected, and especially so for those experiencing severe or fatal illness.

To date, most severe cases and deaths have occurred in adults under the age of 50 years, with deaths in the elderly comparatively rare. This age distribution is in stark contrast with seasonal influenza, where around 90% of severe and fatal cases occur in people 65 years of age or older.
Severe respiratory failure

Perhaps most significantly, clinicians from around the world are reporting a very severe form of disease, also in young and otherwise healthy people, which is rarely seen during seasonal influenza infections. In these patients, the virus directly infects the lung, causing severe respiratory failure. Saving these lives depends on highly specialized and demanding care in intensive care units, usually with long and costly stays.

During the winter season in the southern hemisphere, several countries have viewed the need for intensive care as the greatest burden on health services. Some cities in these countries report that nearly 15 percent of hospitalized cases have required intensive care.

Preparedness measures need to anticipate this increased demand on intensive care units, which could be overwhelmed by a sudden surge in the number of severe cases.

Vulnerable groups

An increased risk during pregnancy is now consistently well-documented across countries. This risk takes on added significance for a virus, like this one, that preferentially infects younger people.

Data continue to show that certain medical conditions increase the risk of severe and fatal illness. These include respiratory disease, notably asthma, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and immunosuppression.

When anticipating the impact of the pandemic as more people become infected, health officials need to be aware that many of these predisposing conditions have become much more widespread in recent decades, thus increasing the pool of vulnerable people.

Obesity, which is frequently present in severe and fatal cases, is now a global epidemic. WHO estimates that, worldwide, more than 230 million people suffer from asthma, and more than 220 million people have diabetes.

Moreover, conditions such as asthma and diabetes are not usually considered killer diseases, especially in children and young adults. Young deaths from such conditions, precipitated by infection with the H1N1 virus, can be another dimension of the pandemic’s impact.
cbrchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:11 PM   #34
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/...-seasonal.html

Keep that shit out of my arms.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:04 PM   #35
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
You need to dig deeper and not believe everything you hear or read.

"This is some evidence that has been floated. It hasn't been validated yet, it's very preliminary," cautioned Dr. Don Low, microbiologist-in-chief at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto.

Our advisor at work told us that this is a very small study that has not been able to be replicated anywhere else in the world! Shoddy research at it's very best.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 03:54 PM   #36
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyKell View Post
You need to dig deeper and not believe everything you hear or read.

"This is some evidence that has been floated. It hasn't been validated yet, it's very preliminary," cautioned Dr. Don Low, microbiologist-in-chief at Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto.

Our advisor at work told us that this is a very small study that has not been able to be replicated anywhere else in the world! Shoddy research at it's very best.
Made me think of the guys who claimed to have developed Cold Fusion, a few years back when I heard it.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 05:41 PM   #37
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

why do some healthy people get so sick from it while others can beat it like a regular flu?
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:49 PM   #38
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Made me think of the guys who claimed to have developed Cold Fusion, a few years back when I heard it.
Great Scott!
Old 10-08-2009, 09:23 PM   #39
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
why do some healthy people get so sick from it while others can beat it like a regular flu?
Because instead of adequately hydrating and getting rest they press on with work, eat processed food and drink pop. I get sick once a year, but I'm deathly ill for days. I shit black ink, sweat through my sheets, hack up lung butter, have intense headaches, body aches and nasea. Guess what happens right before I get sick? That's right, the military issues a mandatory vaccine. Hell, the anthrax vaccine made me wreck my car driving home. I wouldn't take any vaccines if I didn't have to.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #40
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
No flu shot, no swine flu shot. Never have, never will.
AMEN Brother! You and ME. Population of Awesome.

KFTC

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote