Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #31
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
I hadn't thought of that! Thanks! I used to have a 380 around 20 years ago. It was a nice little gun!
Nothing wrong with checking out some small revolvers too. A Taurus 605 is a stainless 5 shot .357 Magnum snubbie that is super easy to conceal. It's easy to shoot if you use .38 special rounds, especially for target practice.

Or if you get one that is .38 special only it will actually be slightly smaller and more compact since it wont need to be as beefy to handle .357 Magnum loads.

A revolver is actually best for someone who is not real familiar with handguns because they are simple to use...point and shoot. If you go with an automatic you have to spend a lot of quality time with it to be able to operate any manual funtions such as a safety, etc in panic situations. Seems like you have some background, but if you haven't done a lot of regular shooting most of your life, a revolver is a good choice.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #32
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Thanks!! Why do you recommend it if you don't mind?
Because it's tiny and still does some damage with the .32ACP round. You said you wanted to do solo touring, so not just weight but bulk as well is your big concern. These Beretta mouse guns are well engineered and well made.

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:35 PM   #33
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Because he's a Beretta fanboy. LOL

Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:01 PM   #34
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Found two sub $500 1911's. One is a American tactical (new$ 475) and Rock Island ($479 new)

Last edited by Rangerscott; 01-08-2011 at 04:38 PM..
Old 01-08-2011, 06:03 PM   #35
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Thank you so much everyone! I am writing all these suggestions down.

Ericr I hadn't even thought of a revolver but will add your suggestions to my list.

Fnfalman you are right about damage. That is another thing. I want whatever I buy to pack some punch - yet not knock my teeth out or be inaccurate. If I shoot someone I want damage and death if their intent is to hurt me.

Sorry for the thread jack but it's been very helpful!
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:12 PM   #36
Ninjakel
Post whorette

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600-

I carry a Ruger LCP.

I LOVE it!!

--Ron Burgundy--
Anchorman
Ninjakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:06 PM   #37
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Shit i dont need a gun. I can flick a bullet so fast i am my own gun.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:11 PM   #38
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

Seriously awesome
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 PM   #39
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Because he's a Beretta fanboy. LOL
Better Beretta than the rest of the junks.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:35 PM   #40
fnfalman
Europhile

Quote:
Fnfalman you are right about damage. That is another thing. I want whatever I buy to pack some punch - yet not knock my teeth out or be inaccurate. If I shoot someone I want damage and death if their intent is to hurt me.
In order to do damage in a small, light, portable package, you'd have to go with larger caliber. Large caliber coupled with a small, light, portable package = extremely hard to master and shoot straight & hit something with it.

If I were a novice like you, I'd learn how to shoot first and think of something no larger than .380 Auto. A mouse gun that is much larger than the .380 Auto will be extremely hard to shoot well even when you're a proficient shooter. Also, just like riding motos, it takes more than a class or two and a few hundred rounds to get proficient. So, do you want to wait until you're proficient then get a light but powerful gun? Or do you want to learn the basics and get something that's portable AND shootable for YOU at THIS CURRENT STAGE?

The problem with most gun owners is that they don't put a lot of thoughts into what the prospective owner is all about. Do we recommend 600-cc supersport or 690-cc supermoto to the novice who barely passed Basic Rider Course? Why would we want to do the same thing with guns?

For example, just this Christmas, an old family friend and his wife (70-years-old both of them) wanted to pick up some iron for self-defense. Who can blame them? So they had the smart to go get some firearms training at a local range. Guess what they were trained on for the shooting portion? M1911 in .45ACP. It wasn't too bad for the hubby because once upon a time he was a US Army officer. But the wife was all rattled and scared of guns even more afterward. Of course the instructor just happened to recommend buying some tacticool Kimber that's MSRP for $1400.

I took them both out with my Ruger 22/45 pistol and they both had a blast. The lady could make consistent 10-yds hits into the bullseye. The guy liked my Beretta 92FS and hit pretty good with it but having problem working the slide against the recoil spring. So I broke out the Python for him and loaded it with .38 Special. Problem solved. Six hard hits center mass all the way to 15-yds. Now, he's the owner of a 4" Python and the wife can shoot the Beretta .22LR mouse gun loaded with CCI Stingers. The Beretta M21A has a tip-up barrel so that she doesn't have to work the slide to chamber a round. Insert mag, tip up barrel, load barrel, slam it down and ready to boogie.

Tell me if they aren't now better served than a tacticool M1911 .45ACP or the like.

Just because FBI HRU uses M1911, it doesn't mean that everybody should. Just because Navy SEAL and British SAS use P226, it doesn't mean everybody should.

Last edited by fnfalman; 01-08-2011 at 08:43 PM..