karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Pussy.

JC
why are you calling him a pussy?
You have had your bike 1993 years longer than him.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:47 AM   #32
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

I'm with AMJ...I hit Redline within the first 50 Miles of owning the ZX6...I cant find the website right now but there was a guy who wrote up a story on how driving cars/bikes harder than the "break in " period allows for actually makes the engines withstand more as far as abuse goes...and I've heard that some newer cars will make more power based on the ECU and it knowing how often you go WOT and whatnot.

Personally...I think break in periods are stupid...But thats just my opinion.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #33
RedRider2k2
Holier Than Thou

Moto: 06 ZX10R, 18 400 Ninja, 11 KLX250s

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Not looking to recreate an old debate, but if beating the piss out of a new motor were the way to go, why would manufacturers have a break-in period versus saying "here's your new bike, go ride it"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Simple:

1) They don't know/don't care which method is best -- they simply chose the one that is less likely to break something and cause warranty claims.

2) They know that a large % of bike purchases are newbies, and they want to avoid the lawsuits & bad publicity caused by new riders riding too fast too soon and crashing.
Exactly. From another post on another site...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider2k2
We've already spoke of this. A lot of people have a hard enough time even riding a new bike let alone doing a proper hard break-in. The manufacturers give you a safe middle of the road break in procedure because they know most people wont screw it up. Does it work for the most part? Sure. Their bikes last alright and work fine. But, they have been known to have horsepower gains and last just as long or longer with nothing more than a proper break in.

When Diesel Engines are rebuilt or tested new they are ran on a Dyno. They dont pussyfoot around either. They idle for a few minutes to get a quick check over for leaks etc, run with a slight load until up to operating temp then they scream their guts out for a while at max rated Horsepower and finally are lugged down nice and low to their max rated torque.

But I guess Truck engines dont last that long....Right?
RedRider2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #34
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

net-net: owners manual=crap
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:41 PM   #35
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

#1 they break em in on the dyno before it leaves the factory #2 you want to cut the rings like you are going to ride the bike
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #36
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I didn't break my buell in stupid hard. But, I redlined the first 3 gears the first time I took it out.

I took it home, let it cool down. Ran it through a few more heat cycles and then changed the oil.

There was a bit of metal on the drain plug, that was it. And I've run it normally since.
In about 15000 miles the only issues I've had were from cheap components and sensors. Nothing internal has gone wrong.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 07:36 AM   #37
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Keep in mind, I'm of the same train of thought as redrider, when we rebuild or fix a diesel. Its gets run to idle, gets a quick look over and then its run flat out for hours.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:34 AM   #38
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Keep in mind, I'm of the same train of thought as redrider, when we rebuild or fix a diesel. Its gets run to idle, gets a quick look over and then its run flat out for hours.
Don't you dyno it?

I've got a buddy who's lead over at Cummins atlantic, and if I'm not mistaken, he's told me when he rebuilds he "takes it straight to the dyno and runs the ever-livin-shit out of it, cause if it's gonna break, I want it to break right THERE so I can fix it and not on the road for a customer"
Old 10-11-2009, 08:41 AM   #39
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterTroy View Post
Don't you dyno it?

I've got a buddy who's lead over at Cummins atlantic, and if I'm not mistaken, he's told me when he rebuilds he "takes it straight to the dyno and runs the ever-livin-shit out of it, cause if it's gonna break, I want it to break right THERE so I can fix it and not on the road for a customer"
While I'm not a full on diesel mechanic. They just teach us the ins and outs in case one of our generators breaks at sea. That is exactly what we do. Hook it up to the inertial dyno, start it, check over the basics, then run the piss out of it.

Before we rebuilt our engine. We had to get a baseline dyno run. Our engine upon pre-overhaul run up seized up #1 cylinder and #4 was close. All because the oil jets for the skirt cooling were plugged.

We replaced those power packs (piston, liner, rings and wrist pin) reassembled it, then put it back on the dyno and ran the piss out of it. Keeping in mind though, that every single component was gone over with a micrometer/dial gauge/feeler gauge to make sure it was fully in spec.

It didn't have a single problem except for loose wires on the starter that sparked a good bit initially.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:13 AM   #40
was92v
Nowhere Man

Do you guys think there is a difference between a new engine /gearbox and rebuilding an engine that all the other hundreds of parts are already run in?
There are hundreds of friction points in a new engine/gearbox that are lapping in besides the cylinder walls, piston skirts and rings in a new motorcycle engine/gearbox that are not at all a concern when rebuilding a used unit. I worry more about gear tooth faces, dog surface and bearing run in, than the ring to wall seal. With the rings and the cylinder finish used these days, unless something was screwed up when it was built, the ring/wall seal in a done deal almost as soon as you start the engine. After rebuilding an engine, a couple of heat cycles to shape the piston is about it. All the rest is already done.
was92v is offline   Reply With Quote