Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-25-2008, 02:28 PM   #31
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

r!der is right, just cause your tire is fully worn doesn't mean you are at full lean. Take my av or some of the other guys av's that aren't of rossi or some other pro racer. With that lean angle, it will wear the tire completely with no chickenstrip, but I still have plenty left to go before my tire losses traction. No chicken strips, doesn't mean you are using the tire to the very edge of it's limit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:50 PM   #32
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
r!der is right, just cause your tire is fully worn doesn't mean you are at full lean. Take my av or some of the other guys av's that aren't of rossi or some other pro racer. With that lean angle, it will wear the tire completely with no chickenstrip, but I still have plenty left to go before my tire losses traction. No chicken strips, doesn't mean you are using the tire to the very edge of it's limit.
Fair enough. But you have to agree, the furthur you are leaned over, the less traction you have avaliable. Even if you are wearing down chicken strips, you still have less traction in the case of an emergency. Use alittle more body position for the corner and save alittle more avaliable traction in case it's necessary.

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:54 PM   #33
Rider
Moto GP Star

So Trip, in your AV, do you have both cheeks off the seat or just one.. I cant tell.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 02:56 PM   #34
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
So Trip, in your AV, do you have both cheeks off the seat or just one.. I cant tell.
just one, I not nearly being a monkey as I should be when I hang off the bike. I really need to work on body position.
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 04-25-2008, 03:00 PM   #35
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
just one, I not nearly being a monkey as I should be when I hang off the bike. I really need to work on body position.
Im not even close to dragging a knee yet, I fell like I have a mile to go and I hang off (1 cheek) and I have no chicken strips on the back and the fronts are only 1/4 inch. It's certainly track time so I can get my body position right.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:04 PM   #36
r!der
snowboarder

Moto: 05 GSXR 600

Back tire strip is easy, try to get the front off! HAHA
Old 04-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #37
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Im not even close to dragging a knee yet, I fell like I have a mile to go and I hang off (1 cheek) and I have no chicken strips on the back and the fronts are only 1/4 inch. It's certainly track time so I can get my body position right.
Knee down doesnt mean you have great body position and it could be other factors why you cant get it down too. I am long and lanky enough to get my kneedown on stock rear sets like its nothing, crazy easy. With vortex rearsets, I have them as high as they go and it make it hard for me to jam my knee out there and get it down easy. I have to lean it over a lot further now to get my knee down. Upper body postion I think is the hardest thing to learn. I can get my lower off, but my upper just doesnt want to get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r!der View Post
Back tire strip is easy, try to get the front off! HAHA
Yeah front chicken strips you really got to crank it over. The profile on the powers is easy enough to get it for me, the corsa IIIs are a lot tougher because there profile is a lot steeper.
Quote:
Old 04-25-2008, 03:22 PM   #38
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT View Post
Fair enough. But you have to agree, the furthur you are leaned over, the less traction you have avaliable. Even if you are wearing down chicken strips, you still have less traction in the case of an emergency. Use alittle more body position for the corner and save alittle more avaliable traction in case it's necessary.
hmm i don't really agree here.. i think you have more traction at full lean but i need someone much smarter than me to confirm.. the contact patch straight up and down is less i believe.. but straight up and down you are more stable due to gravity not trying to pull you down.. the only way to adjust is lean more or get it upright and use brake..

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 03:41 PM   #39
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Ok, so are you saying if you meet me, you will respect me less and think of me as a bad rider for having more of a flat spot in the center of my tire?

Granted, I have almost no "chicken strips" on the R1. But the center of my tire does wear alot faster then the rest of the tire. As a result, i'm getting a flat spot in my back tire. Guess what. The past several years i've been riding the same thing happens with every tire.

I ride my bike daily to work. Back and forth at least 4 or 5 days a week. On my commute to work every day, I have basically 4 turns in a 16 mile trip. I have the right out of my driveway, the right onto a major street, a right onto another major street and a left to get to my work.

So since most of my commute is a straight line, the center of my tire wears faster since I ride everyday and I ride a sportbike. I put more miles annually back and forth to work, then I do riding on the weekends. So of course the center will wear faster. So am I a bad rider in your opinion?
I never stated that I wouldnt respect you if you had a flat spot, I said I would respect a rider less that ONLY used the middle of his tire, aka straightliner.

There are varying degrees, dont get your panties in a wad.

If you have a flat spot in your tire, that is only in the MIDDLE, with very lil or no wear on the sides, this indicates you do not use your tire at all, might as well have a car tire on that thing. We call those in these parts, straightliners, as they go in one straight shot either east or west, never challenging the roads that are off the main coast road, many of these are the riders often referred to as posers also...the "i can beat you in a race, as long as we go in a straight line" (i have heard this btw) type riders. Their style of riding, as I already stated in my previous, causes a HUGE flat spot in the middle and pretty much no where else. It requires no effort to go in a straight line and thus doesnt earn the level of respect from me that someone who uses their tires. They are welcome to learn another style and in the event they stay open to that and want to learn, they have the opportunity to earn my respect. Unfortunately, many of these are more interested in how good they look with their "crew" on their way to Hooters...

A rider that utilises his tire does so on a daily commute as well as more aggressive riding. You can look at my regular street tires also and see that I have no chicken strips or very lil and I have all of 4 turns on my commute, but I love to play and actually lean while turning, versus sitting upright for a turn. You cant tell me that you have no wear on the sides of your tire from taking turns on your way to work. I can look at your tires and see that you know what you are doing and respect that...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.

Last edited by the chi; 04-25-2008 at 03:45 PM..
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 04:29 PM   #40
ceo012384
Pompous Prick

Moto: 06 R6 (race), 04 CRF Tard (race)

Let me clarify that the point of this thread was really targeted towards people who CARE about strips and try to use them as a gauge for their/other's ability/progress or lack thereof.

People who know anything or have any skill know that there are tons of factors at play.

That all being said, I'm glad this sparked some good old-fashioned motorcycle technique conversation, which was my intention.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubbs View Post
I don't think he said that.. What I think he said was
Kyle knows that's not what I meant, he was just being a douche.
Quote:
Well said. Anyone who thinks Chicken strips are a measure of how good a rider is, needs to learn how to ride themselves.

If you have no Chicken strips, it basically means you are using every little bit of traction the tire can give you.

Basically on the street that means you have no out. You have no more useable traction coming through a corner, if a panic situation was to occur.
I totally agree with your first sentence.

However, I'm with r!der, and disagree with the second part. When the chicken strip is just gone, you are just getting the contact patch to the side of the tire. You don't need that entire patch to maintain traction... you need MUCH less... you can go a lot further than that point.

I do understand what you meant though, regarding less available traction and less room to account for road issues.
Quote:
My reason for saying that.....If you are taking a hard corner, and are using every bit of the side of that tire where else can you go?
His point was that the lack of chicken strips does not correlate to using your every bit of available traction, that's all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by r!der View Post
Does this mean you're at max lean? I'm thinking no, there's prob more lean, the contact patch is just getting smaller.
You're right. And your TD shots looked good and faster than me, so you must be getting something right
Quote:
Ok now I feel like we have a broken record. But yeah, that's it.
Quote:
Yeah front chicken strips you really got to crank it over. The profile on the powers is easy enough to get it for me, the corsa IIIs are a lot tougher because there profile is a lot steeper.
I had them gone on the front tire on my OEMs... I don't expect that to occur on the corsa IIIs... we'll see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
hmm i don't really agree here.. i think you have more traction at full lean but i need someone much smarter than me to confirm.. the contact patch straight up and down is less i believe.. but straight up and down you are more stable due to gravity not trying to pull you down.. the only way to adjust is lean more or get it upright and use brake..
The rear contact patch when straight up and down depends on what you are doing. Under hard braking it's small or maybe even non-existent. When you're accelerating the rear squats and you get a big old patch.

That patch under accel is about the same size of the one you get when leaned over... the difference is that you are turning and the centripetal forces of cornering are perpendicular to gravity as well as your accel forces (for a flat turn at least). So you are relying entirely on friction in two dimensions to keep you on the bike instead of just one..
ceo012384 is offline   Reply With Quote