Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #31
Mudpuppy
South of Heaven

Moto: 2006 Yamaha R1 50th Anniversary Edition

i think you two need a cage match or something or just get a room already.. i forget what this thread was about anymore.. think it turned into a gay lover's spat or something.. ok who cheated?

Learn about photography: ATP Members
Mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:55 PM   #32
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

Can't remember if I mentioned this but the place my buddy will be working is Talkeetna.

I believe it is about 2 or 3 hours north of Anchorage. Anyone know anything about it? I am going to start calling for jobs tomorrow.

I might have a place to crash there for a little while till I can get on my feet.

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:59 PM   #33
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
Can't remember if I mentioned this but the place my buddy will be working is Talkeetna.

I believe it is about 2 or 3 hours north of Anchorage. Anyone know anything about it? I am going to start calling for jobs tomorrow.
yeah I've been there... but only drove through... it's small... course every town outside of Anchorage and maybe Fairbanks is fucking TINY...

I think Talkeetna probably has 3 gas stations, a grocery store, and maybe a fast food joint or two... at most. 70% of AK's population lives in Anchorage... and anchorage is just a LARGE town... (as opposed to a city) in my mind.
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:37 PM   #34
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbs15 View Post
yeah I've been there... but only drove through... it's small... course every town outside of Anchorage and maybe Fairbanks is fucking TINY...

I think Talkeetna probably has 3 gas stations, a grocery store, and maybe a fast food joint or two... at most. 70% of AK's population lives in Anchorage... and anchorage is just a LARGE town... (as opposed to a city) in my mind.
Hmmmm, maybe Anchorage would be a better choice. I will be with 2 good friends so I am sure we will entertain ourselves even in a small town.

What the hell is there to do? This is going to be an adventure.

Old 04-27-2008, 06:49 PM   #35
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

anchorage is nice... and in your time frame you'll have a blast (gets old after a couple months) even in Talkeetna you'll be fine for a summer... so don't rule that out. besides, if your going for an Alaska experience then I'd say stay out of Anchorage as much as possible. though Anchorage is diffrent than the cities of the lower 48... it's still very diffrent from the rest of the small towns in AK.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #36
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Excellent, would you say the town is small enough that I can walk around or get around on a bike? I am just trying to have all options figured out so that I have my shit together whenever I get up there.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:01 PM   #37
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Yeah... most definatly... you can ride a bike... or walk... no issues... though you'll wanna catch a ride in to anchorage once or twice. just to check it out

oh... invest in a camera... and either lots of memory cards or bring your laptop to store them... it's FUCKING GORGEOUS... and everywhere you look is picture-esk
Old 04-27-2008, 07:03 PM   #38
anyexcuse2ride
sickday=trackday

Moto: 06 gsxr 1000

I went to middle school and 9th and 10th grade down in seward. I worked on fishing boats and in the cannerys and for the coal exporting out of seward. My dad is still there, he owns a bed and breakfast and a video store. It is a great place to VISIT, as for living? not for me.
anyexcuse2ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:04 PM   #39
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Awesome, I am so glad I have someone with first hand experience on tap.

My friend will be driving up to Talkeetna so we will have his car on hand for trips into Anchorage or where ever we choose. I really wanted to drive with him, but I don't think there is any way I could get my passport renewed in less then 3 weeks. I may road trip with him back though, which would be a lot of fun.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:16 PM   #40
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

That drive is one of the best I've ever been on. I just took it in October. I drove from Anchorage to Portland Or, took 4 days... but I was in a hurry and only slept for 3 hrs both nights. (drove through the last night) would have been a bit faster but ran into issues with my bank cutting off my account cause they thought my card was stolen.

when I get home I'll post some pics... if you can do the trip... DO IT... you'll see some AMAZING country... and I guarentee you'll see lots of wildlife... I saw, Moose, Bear, Bison, Doll sheep, Carabou, Elk, Mountain goats, Wolves, and a couple bald Eagles.

wished I'd gotten pics of them all...