Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 10-05-2009, 12:02 AM   #31
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl_1052 View Post
During the summer I do it, but now it is getting too cold.

32F and sunny is alot different from 32F at night.
I hear ya thr. I'm curious how this fall will be with my ultra. Worse case scenario I can always put on the tall windshield to get a few more rides in the cold.

Otherwise my night vision is fine, the headlight and 2 spot lights on the front of the hd make life nice (day or night).

Hell the other night marko and I rode home in the dark with rain and it was fine. No worries!

Keep f'in tt chicken!
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 06:29 AM   #32
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
Just back in, thirdgenlxi and got caught in the dark and RAIN coming back from our ride today...
Add fog to the mix and it gets really fun.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #33
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I used to ride quite often at night when I was single...out with the guys...etc.

I don't tend to ride much at night these days. It doesn't really "bother" me but I'd prefer to ride during the day.

We have alot of deer in my area plus the fact that more drunks seem to be cruising around at night are just reasons to cage it myself when going out at night.

This and the fact that my wife rides and I'd rather her not be out on the bike at night as well.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:08 PM   #34
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

I prefer not to, but if I plan to - I change to my clear shield.

I dropped my bike when I was riding at night with a tinted shield and couldn't see well. I was mad at myself for a while for that one.
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #35
CasterTroy

Dang...SO dissapointed in this thread.....I came in thinking it'd be a tribute to the "Hoff"

Old 10-07-2009, 06:31 PM   #36
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

It's about damn time! I was waiting for someone to bring up Night Rider. Thanks for not letting me down Troy.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:24 PM   #37
CasterTroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedoll View Post
It's about damn time! I was waiting for someone to bring up Night Rider. Thanks for not letting me down Troy.
jacko
Old 10-07-2009, 07:31 PM   #38
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

Forget David Hasselhoff, can anyone post a pic or have a clue of who is the original night rider?
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:02 PM   #39
OTB
The Man

Moto: 00 Bimota DB4

Couple of hints for better night riding. I have very bad standard vision, 20/450, and astigmatism (egg-shaped or irregular shaped eye) also. Here is what has helped me.

A. Go get your vision checked. There are two issues with night vision, one being "starring"; an indication of astigmatism. The other is poor rod and cone production (dim night vision). Astigmatism can be corrected with the proper lenses, and the new plastics and compund lenses are startlingly clear; dim night vision can usually be alleviated with supplements high in Vitamin K and a few others.

B. Use no tint at all on your visor. I have switched to the HJC Sy-MaxII http://www.hjchelmets.com/ with the integral tinted retractable shield; it stays clean,. is there when I need it, and goes away with a touch when I don't. A number of manufacturers make helmets with them.

C. I keep plastic cleaner and a soft cloth in my kit bag...dirty shields lose much light transmission. I also keep Aquapel or RainX for Plastic (don't use the formula for glass, as it will cloud your shield) because it keeps the shield cleaner and the drops are smaller and they stream right off in everything but the heaviest downpour.

D. I have a two strips width of black electricians tape across the top of my shield; they serve two purposes:
When driving into the sun in the morning or dusk, by dipping my chin I can block out the direct sunlight and still see traffic.

After dark if I am driving into some dork's brights, the same applys; tilt my head down and to the side as the idiot passes and I get to keep a modicum of my night vision. Costs about a penny and it works.

When riding at night, don't smoke; nicotine destroys the rods and cones needed for night vision.

Happy riding.
OTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:20 PM   #40
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Thanks for the suggestions.
I have had my vision checked in the recent past and it is 20/20.
If I know I'm going to be out in the dark, then I would change my shield to the clear.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote