Old 12-19-2009, 01:11 AM   #31
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

No I will not make out with you

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 02:23 AM   #32
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewpy View Post
No I will not make out with you
I'll howl like a wolf....
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #33
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Not everyone has a duel degree in biology and is working on their masters in biology and population dynamics....just saying
So I guess you guys were all over the stuff down in MD a few yrs ago with the chineese snakeheads that were released or all the exotics that have taken hold down in florida.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 09:15 AM   #34
karl_1052
sergeant hatred

Moto: The bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by defector View Post
Getting low on four legged prey - need to start lining up the humans.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111323/
Old 12-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #35
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Tig, I think the other guys covered it for me, but in regards to your argument that the world would be okay without many species is really rather ignorant of you. You usually back your stuff up better than that.

Did you know that right now, due to some strange world effect we are losing all the honey bees? That they require assistance to keep doing their jobs? Do you realize that without the bees, plants wont get polinated (things we use for food) therefore they wont procreate and the plants will die out, leaving a void? And since we kinda need plants for the air we breathe, I consider that a pretty important function.

That in some countries humans are now having to polinate plants themselves to keep them alive? (Japan, and I think its the Cherry Blossom trees. They are using paint brushes to try and mimic the bees work so the plants dont all die.)

This is just one example, but the point is, EVERYTHING has a place. Ignorance and extermination have already destroyed many incredible species. As far as this wolf goes, looks like it was an incredible animal, and probably doing a DAMN good job of culling the deer based on his healthy look, and you of all people should appreciate deer removal (as they are a species that needs culling not only b/c you keep hitting them.)
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #36
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
Tig, I think the other guys covered it for me, but in regards to your argument that the world would be okay without many species is really rather ignorant of you. You usually back your stuff up better than that.

Did you know that right now, due to some strange world effect we are losing all the honey bees? That they require assistance to keep doing their jobs? Do you realize that without the bees, plants wont get polinated (things we use for food) therefore they wont procreate and the plants will die out, leaving a void? And since we kinda need plants for the air we breathe, I consider that a pretty important function.

That in some countries humans are now having to polinate plants themselves to keep them alive? (Japan, and I think its the Cherry Blossom trees. They are using paint brushes to try and mimic the bees work so the plants dont all die.)

This is just one example, but the point is, EVERYTHING has a place. Ignorance and extermination have already destroyed many incredible species. As far as this wolf goes, looks like it was an incredible animal, and probably doing a DAMN good job of culling the deer based on his healthy look, and you of all people should appreciate deer removal (as they are a species that needs culling not only b/c you keep hitting them.)
Why is everyone stuck on the bees? I never said anything about bees but I will stand by my statement that there are several species of animals that we could do without. Mosquitoes...Flies... Actually, deer are a fine example. Please explain to me the vital function that deer play in the eco-system that couldn't be done by another animal, say a cow for example.

Let's say that we eliminated the deer, now what vital need is there for wolves? Rabbits? But wouldn't the fox population increase through the greater availability of food and thus control the rabbit population? I know that this is WAY over simplified but as I said the world has seen the coming and going of thousands/millions of species and somehow it's still here. Heck, 90%+ of ALL life on Earth has been exterminated TWICE and it's still managed to come back! How really important are those damn cherries anyway? Grow oranges instead, or pines or whatever. Most of your reactions are emotional and not necessarily logical. If it were up to you all we'd still have saber tooth tigers and raptors running around.

Of course you know I'm just fucking with you all but some will have to admit that quite often, animal rights types will come out against killing ANY animal regardless of the circumstances. Is that slightly better Rae?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 12:22 PM   #37
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

The difference is when animals die out naturally, it is the Earths way of balancing things out. When Man comes along and arbitrarily destroys life because he can, or its in his way or he gets the creeps from that particular animal, he is unbalancing the natural order of things, which thus allows the whole thing to come unwound.

Why do you suppose we have an overabundace of deer? Because we wiped out their natural predators (among other reasons, but this one is magor).

We use the bees as an example because they are necessary to the existence of food bearing plants that we need to survive. Lets say you clumsily destroy a bees hive, they attack you, you kill them all. You just destroyed not only their home and lives, but you took away two possible food sources for humans. The honey the bees make, and the fruit born on the trees the bees would have polinized.

And yes, you are right in that some animals do need controlling, however they need that controlling because of mans folly in the first place. If you notice, I am a proponent of stopping needless slaughter (like this wolf), not necessary measures.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.

Last edited by the chi; 12-19-2009 at 12:25 PM..
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 01:21 PM   #38
Ineffable
Kneedragger

Moto: 2009 KTM RC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
Most of your reactions are emotional and not necessarily logical. If it were up to you all we'd still have saber tooth tigers and raptors running around.
Fun Fact: Mosquitoes have killed more people than war.

Without them we would have a massive overpopulation problem that we are starting to have now.

I understand where you are coming from Tigger and some animal rights people/groups do go way overboard was just making a point. However I do wish we still had raptors and saber tooths running around, would make jogging more of a sport than a hobby.

It would also make shit like this possible

which would just be awesome.
Ineffable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 06:35 PM   #39
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
So I guess you guys were all over the stuff down in MD a few yrs ago with the chineese snakeheads that were released or all the exotics that have taken hold down in florida.

Tom
got everyone and their mother saw snakeheads when they were in the news, most of them were just seeing a common species called a bowfin, and I lived in the keys for awhile, it was common to see pythons sunning themselves along US 1

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:00 PM   #40
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
got everyone and their mother saw snakeheads when they were in the news, most of them were just seeing a common species called a bowfin, and I lived in the keys for awhile, it was common to see pythons sunning themselves along US 1
there was an iteresting show on the discovery channel about that whole mess, last I heard there are still some small pockets of them out there. I used to have a few of their cousins as pets when I had fishtanks going too.

There was even a species introduced on LI about 40 yrs ago. There were no lizzards on LI but a pet sotre had a crate of skinks break open and about 40 of em got out. There is a creek/drainage basin behind the pet sotore and enough got out there and they thrived. I guess theres enough predators here that their numbers stayed in control and you see them every now and then around the creeks. Elusive lil buggers though.

The bigger thing up here is if a species like that can survive the winters we have in NY.
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote