Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 05-19-2010, 10:45 AM   #31
pdog
Refugee

Moto: Pimped 2005 SV650

Roundup has worked well for the last 30 years. The problem is that evolution is real: there are weeds that are now resistant to the roundup pesticide. Monsanto is also an extremely evil, evil company:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup
pdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:12 PM   #32
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Assuming that organic foods aren't sprayed with pesticides, how is that not a benefit?
The video says they were sprayed with pesticides... and the really really bad ones...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:32 PM   #33
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I'm not sure.

Ask Penn & Teller.
Who and who? Never heard of em
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 12:33 PM   #34
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

Well, they don't wear very fashionable clothes. I can see how you may have overlooked them.

(They're known for being magicians, with an edge)
Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #35
Homeslice
Elitist

OK, well what expertise do magicians have in this topic?

I ask only because I'm being asked to spend an hour of my time watchig those videos, and I would hope that they were made by someone who knows what they're talking about

That, and I enjoy being a hardass.

Last edited by Homeslice; 05-19-2010 at 01:00 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 01:28 PM   #36
shmike
Follower

Quote:
OK, well what expertise do magicians have in this topic?

I ask only because I'm being asked to spend an hour of my time watchig those videos, and I would hope that they were made by someone who knows what they're talking about

That, and I enjoy being a hardass.
They don't.

Their "edge" is that they use words like bullshit and fuck. Also Penn likes to yell and be insulting.

Epsiode 2 has some comedic value for their making fun of hippies but I'd hardly use either video as a reference in any rational debate.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:33 PM   #37
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Default (see also: White Hat Hacker)

Hmm. I suppose The Amazing Randy is just a magician too.

C'mon guys. Don't you get it? Magicians deceive people for a living.

People like Penn and Teller, and the Amazing Randy debunk bullshit artists.

They know what a ruse looks like (they design them for a living), and as such are REALLY FUCKING GOOD at shining a big, bright light on the man behind the curtain.

What's perhaps MOST "edgy" about Penn and Teller is that they ALWAYS used to show how the trick was done AFTER they "deceived" you...so other magicians tend to hate them. That's how they got into the line of work I'd like to call "Bullshit Busters".

Oh, yeah...Penn does say "fuck". Bummer if that bothers you (first clue this might be an issue for some perhaps lies in the name of the series; "Bullshit").

In case it's any consolation, Teller's schtick is to remain entirely mute (Penn models his manner of presentation to resemble a carnival barker).

Last edited by Avatard; 05-19-2010 at 07:56 PM..
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 AM   #38
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Quote:
Assuming that organic foods aren't sprayed with pesticides, how is that not a benefit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I'm not sure.

Ask Penn & Teller.
What Penn and Teller essentially convey is that if you live in a rich nation, with an abundance of food, then it's fine to buy organic...but for groups like greenpeace to impose their views about natural farming on others when millions are starving is just elitist luxury hippie-speak bullshit.

You and I can probably afford to buy our stuff at whole foods (I don't), but that's because we live in a rich nation. For someone starving halfway across the globe, a pest resistant, or drought resistant engineered strain of corn just might save the lives of many people.

As someone who lives in a more civilized part of the world where we have an abundance of food, of course you and I are free to make these finicky choices about how we want our food grown, and if you are concerned about agrotoxins, then by all means; buy "organic" [good luck determining exactly what that means, though]...but remember that many really need not consider just how they want their food grown...only if there is any to eat.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:08 AM   #39
Homeslice
Elitist

OK, just making sure nobody is allowed to spray pesticides and still call something organic
Old 05-20-2010, 09:20 AM   #40
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
What Penn and Teller essentially convey is that if you live in a rich nation, with an abundance of food, then it's fine to buy organic...but for groups like greenpeace to impose their views about natural farming on others when millions are starving is just elitist luxury hippie-speak bullshit.

You and I can probably afford to buy our stuff at whole foods (I don't), but that's because we live in a rich nation. For someone starving halfway across the globe, a pest resistant, or drought resistant engineered strain of corn just might save the lives of many people.

As someone who lives in a more civilized part of the world where we have an abundance of food, of course you and I are free to make these finicky choices about how we want our food grown, and if you are concerned about agrotoxins, then by all means; buy "organic" [good luck determining exactly what that means, though]...but remember that many really need not consider just how they want their food grown...only if there is any to eat.
So ADHD is fine as long as it isn't in a rich country?