Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-16-2010, 08:45 PM   #31
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

Moto: FJR1300

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
I'd skip the almonds followed by the banana that are in the afternoon/evening area. I wouldn't eat a fat followed by something with sugar.

I'd try to add a little more protein to the yogurt/oatmeal snack and add one in the last peanut butter one as well.
Good point. I'd just ditch the banana and replace it with an apple. I don't count non animals sources of protein in my diet, something I learned from Chris Aceto (championship bodybuilding), due to their being incomplete. Yes, I'm aware that food combinations can include all aminos but still. Also, yogurt is usually pretty sugary if you're getting flavored variants. As Tye said, sugar and fat almost guarantee fat storage because of insulin spikes. You should get Championship Bodybuilding. Has some very good diet advice that's not hard to live with. Guy trains/writes diets for Jay Cutler among many other notable pro BBers.

BTW the carbs you ate yesterday are the ones you use today in the gym. I'd avoid simple carbs except post workout with some whey or a very lean protein source such as egg whites. And your cheat day of course.
Akilldema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #32
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Oh boy....didn't you make a thread about this previously?

What is your weight and bf (take a guess) and what do you want to get down to? All of this replace the OJ with milk or the banana with an apple I can just shake my head at.

First you have too many carbs in the meals. You only need carbs in the morning and around the lifting time. You shouldn't have carbs any other time. Find our how much protein you need in a day by multiplying your body weight by 1.5, then use this in grams of protein. So you are 200lbs, then try to strive for 350 grams of protein a day. The reason is this...if you get calories mainly from protein, it takes alot of energy to break it down so it creates sort of a thermo effect by having to use fat stores to burn it. Then, it is almost neglible to insulin spiking caused by carbohydrates. As AKILL said above, count only complete proteins as protein..meats, eggs, whey, fish, cottage cheeze etc.

Eat 5-6 meals a day. Don't "snack". Eat a meal. I take cottage cheeze as one of my meals and a liquid egg shake so I can eat them quickly at work.

Fats....Use good fats and some nuts. Nuts contain carbs or sugars, so use sparingly. Olive oil is cheap...flaxseed oil, avacado oil, fish oil etc. I would say around 120grams a day with 5-10 Fish Oil tabs.

Keep the fats and carbs separated at meals, but you are allowed to mix in the AM. There are reasons behind this which I'm too lazy to type out. Just do it.

Carbs...use this in the AM and around lifting. Use a complex carb in the morning such as oats, wheat germ and possiblly some fruit. You can add fats in the AM too, but they are not needed. Then, during lifting you can sip on a simple carb drink such as Gatorade with maybe BCAAs and after either a carb/protein meal or whey/fruit or whey/oats. There is just too many theories on this, but a carb meal after lifting is usually a good thing.

Workout supplements that actually do something is creatine and beta alanine (makes you itch for a while, but gives good strength). Ditch using NO, NOS and other pump shit. It does nothing, really.

Take in a gallon of water and supplements should include multivitamin, fish oil tabs, calcium pill (2) and possibly green tea extracts. I take Liver Tabs too, but they are not needed for what you want to do.

As far as the workout stuff you need to do cardio in the AM 4 times a week to shread off the fat. The lifting time is NOT intended to burn fat. It's intended to tear muscle. Understand this and you be lean.

Ditch the P90x....its the latest fad that makes already skinny guys even skinner. Not real hard if you ask me. Focus on powerlifting exercises: Bench, Deads, Squats moving heavy weights. I have a killer plan I've been using for quite some time now. Heavy weight builds muscle, which in turn keeps fat down. Besides it is less taxing the nervous system which will allow you to do cardio in the AM. HIIT can be done too, but once a week is good. Control the weight with cardio and diet...not time in lifting portion of the gym.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 09-16-2010 at 09:17 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #33
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akilldema View Post
Good point. I'd just ditch the banana and replace it with an apple. I don't count non animals sources of protein in my diet, something I learned from Chris Aceto (championship bodybuilding), due to their being incomplete. Yes, I'm aware that food combinations can include all aminos but still. Also, yogurt is usually pretty sugary if you're getting flavored variants. As Tye said, sugar and fat almost guarantee fat storage because of insulin spikes. You should get Championship Bodybuilding. Has some very good diet advice that's not hard to live with. Guy trains/writes diets for Jay Cutler among many other notable pro BBers.

BTW the carbs you ate yesterday are the ones you use today in the gym. I'd avoid simple carbs except post workout with some whey or a very lean protein source such as egg whites. And your cheat day of course.
They make/sell non-flavored Greek yogurt that tastes a little better than donkey shit if you want to use yogurt. It's got a mix of carbs and protein but it's all of the dairy kind which I believe are on the low end of the glycemic index scale.

And I feel banana's are acceptable.

But I base that on Davids philosophy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnPDWklSLz8
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:19 PM   #34
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

I think Bananas are ok too, but I try to limit them to post workout. Sugar (bananas) before a workout can lower hormone output, esp GH. Greek yogurt is def the way to go if you want to eat yogurt. BTW, depending on training and stuff, I'll still eat carbs at night to a small degree. Just not like the last 4 hours before bed.

Last edited by Akilldema; 09-16-2010 at 10:24 PM..
Old 09-17-2010, 10:07 AM   #35
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Again, I only buy juice that says fresh squeezed, not from concentrate. It's not that hard to find.

And good luck peeling an orange every time you're thirsty. Yeah that'll rack up the cash outlay.

You can only drink so much water or milk before it's boring.....You have to drink something else. And at least OJ is better for you than beer.
I count calories. When I'm thirsty I drink water or coffee. When I'm hungry, I eat whole food. To me, water is great. I don't find it boring at all.

On a calorie restricted diet, you're hungry. What's going to make you less hungry? An entire orange, or 1/3 cup of OJ? That's what I'm getting at here. If you're cutting calories, the last thing you want to do is concentrate them into something less satisfying.

If you're drinking OJ to hydrate, you're doing it wrong.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 10:23 AM   #36
AquaPython
put it THIS way

the yogurt i have been using was the all natural Dannon. I have no problem switching to cottage cheese, I used to eat it alot as a kid. which brand /style do you all recommend?

i did not included that i drink green tea in the morning and before the gym, and i take 1000mg fish Oil and glucosamine+Chondroitin+MSM, 2x a day. the latter is more for healing my neck right now.

as far as other supplements, i dont take anything right now. Very sensitive to caffeine and other uppers, so i stay off all of that pump garbage. Creatine has worked in the past for me several times over the years, but it usually has a bloating , water effect, that i didn't think i wanted right now.

I don't think the power lifting for weight loss thing works for me. that is the method i always tried for and i just get bigger and bulkier. I guess it is my genetics. This time i am trying something different. However i am still taking the time lift right now, for what my neck allows me in sets of 12s (which is like 60 / 70 % of what i was able to do 2 months ago.)

I think what would help is if you have an idea of how I should tweak the above posted eating schedule, post something like that format with actual foods and not just generic terms like carbs/fats.
Old 09-17-2010, 11:05 AM   #37
Akilldema
Canyon Carver

You should really read some good books so you're armed with the knowledge you're looking for. If you buy Championship Bodybuilding, it has a lot of advanced and fairly easy dieting techniques. Another that just spells it out for you is CEO Muscle by Jay Cutler. Most of that book is about his life, but at the end he has a VERY detailed diet section. You can still get that one on Amazon. If you're going to failure at 12 reps, you should be burning some decent calories. When I write a diet for myself, counting calories is second to counting nutrients.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #38
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaPython View Post
.....I don't think the power lifting for weight loss thing works for me. that is the method i always tried for and i just get bigger and bulkier. .....
The reason behind doing power lifting when you are trying to loose fat is so you can do the morning cardio as well as the lifting and not burn out your CNS. If you keep doing higher volumous stuff (which does't really build muscle well anyway) and do cardio as well you are gonna get burned out quick. You got "bulkier" because you eat too damn many carbs, which has a cell swelling effect not to mention you feed the fat cells via insulin spiking. Hint Yogurt is full of sugar. Ditch it you don't need it.

You are not gonna gain gobs of muscle, trust me. Even the roided to the max guys are rarely over 240 lean.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM

Last edited by 101lifts2; 09-17-2010 at 06:35 PM..
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:26 PM   #39
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Hint Yogurt is full of sugar. Ditch it you don't need it.
Good Greek yogurt has no sugar, almost no carbs.

101 what do you do for energy? When I cut out all carbs I can barely function. Just not a shred of energy. Drinking caffeine just dehydrates me.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #40
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Even the roided to the max guys are rarely over 240 lean.
Lou Ferrigno, over 300, lean(at his peak). Of course he also 6'6".
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote