Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-29-2010, 02:05 PM   #31
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
On that I'd do it... but like Dave, I've signed up to do more for less already.
Ftr I've done three years over there and still volunteered. Id like to do afghanistan before my hitch runs out in '12
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:49 PM   #32
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
I wouldn't give up a year with my kid for three times that amount of money.
Same...

Unless we were on the verge of homelessness and starvation, time with kids and family is more valuable than extra money.

400K would be nice but in the end it only gets spent on extra "stuff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:29 PM   #33
Inferno
Canyon Carver

Moto: 08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72 View Post
I don't know a single Joe that makes $400k on active duty. Like Dave said, average E-5/E-6 is gonna make between $50k and $70k depending on BAH and dependants.
So, I can get 8 joes working for the same money as one civilian contractor, and i can work those 8 joes 16 hour + days and not pay them any differently. I don't get how contractors can be cheaper if we already have trained soldiers capable of doing the same job...
You are absolutely correct, however, it is cheaper/eaiser for the Govt to hire contractors for non combat functions. Example, say you give a contractor X amount of money to get the job done...it will cost the military XX amount.

Keep in mind, when the Govt/Military does this, they are essentially making that contractor responsible for getting into/out of theatre, training, medical and other "bennies".

Now, you have to look no further than, let's take a look at state-side commisaries for example. Who transports the food? Or makes the food? It is "contracted" out. The Military does not can/raise/milk/bottle...ect their own goods. It is the same when you go into theatre.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:45 PM   #34
caveman
mmmm, Beeeer

Moto: 08 HD Ultra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestreak View Post
I think I would totally agree.

The lure of that kind of cash and the financial stability it brings is strong, but I seriously doubt I'd be able to do it willingly.
You both must be out of your mind. I was in the Army for 8.5 years and got out so that I could be with my family. However, that being said the fact that a years sallary like that earned by spending a year away from the family would line us up so perfectly. Be able to 1) pay off the house 2) pay off the cars 3) put a good chunk of cash away for both kids' college fund 4) do the remodeling to the house to make it what I want and have it finished proffessionally. All for the low price of ONE YEAR?!?!???!?!?!

If you think that there are that many milestones in just one year, then you probably think that the sun rises and sets in your kids' ass.

Wake up an smell the CAISH. Its a great experience and it really makes you appreciate the things when you get back home. Nothing puts life into perspective more than being over in the desert seeing how God aweful those people have it.

My advice TAKE THE F'IN JOB

Caveman

caveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #35
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
Same...

Unless we were on the verge of homelessness and starvation, time with kids and family is more valuable than extra money.

400K would be nice but in the end it only gets spent on extra "stuff"
Not if you're responsible about it

It can pay off our house, car , student loans and our very little debt otherwise and still leave over $100k

$400k is really like making $650k before tax, that takes people many yrs to earn that kinda $

On return, I could get back into a erg. Engineering job and have no worries about employment, just save that $ towards retirement.

If it were $200-$250k i would need to be dire need to leave my kids, but w 400 I could pay off my house and become a greeter at wal mart.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:39 PM   #36
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Not if you're responsible about it

It can pay off our house, car , student loans and our very little debt otherwise and still leave over $100k

$400k is really like making $650k before tax, that takes people many yrs to earn that kinda $

On return, I could get back into a erg. Engineering job and have no worries about employment, just save that $ towards retirement.

If it were $200-$250k i would need to be dire need to leave my kids, but w 400 I could pay off my house and become a greeter at wal mart.
Exactly, thank you. Between the vehicles, insurance and taxes my yearly expenses only total around 8k. I could work a total shit job and live better than a lot of people like that
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #37
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Not enough money if you ask me. What kind of benefits do you get? Medical for your family? Vacation? Free life insurance? 401K/pension? Paid sick time/personal business? Free cell phone with unlimited international calling to call your family? Furnished air fare for 1 or 2 trips home during the year? Tuition reimbursement?
Gonna goto job fair this weekend

Z already has the INS. For the kids and her
Vacation, I'm think 10 weeks on 2 off
I'm sure you could do a 401, but i'm going w ROTHs
Dunno about cell, but Skype is free
No returning home to not pay taxes, just meet in Europe or ?

Gotta stay off us soil for 365 days to circumvent taxes
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #38
Inferno
Canyon Carver

Moto: 08 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
Gonna goto job fair this weekend

Z already has the INS. For the kids and her
Vacation, I'm think 10 weeks on 2 off
I'm sure you could do a 401, but i'm going w ROTHs
Dunno about cell, but Skype is free
No returning home to not pay taxes, just meet in Europe or ?

Gotta stay off us soil for 365 days to circumvent taxes
Its 330 off US soil...aka wheels up date. So, you get two 10-12 day R&R's. Stay outta the US for 330 days, if you spend an extra day, 329, you will pay the full taxes for the year and not US Expat taxes (keep in mind you still pay taxes just on a reduced level) Confusing LOL

If Aghan is anything like Iraq, there is Wifi on site. If I remember it was like 100 a month for OK internet service at best. It was good enough to download itunes and such, but kinda slow.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:05 PM   #39
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Is this 400k a year ish for EEs too? If so I'll stay over there 5 years. LOL

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #40
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

If you do pay taxes for overseas work, the first (I think, now) 100k is tax free but you pay taxes on whatever you make over that. I think it was 75k or 80k when I was over in 2002 but I wasn't gone long enough to make that much, all mine was tax free. I was an E-4 at the time and with no taxes, hazardous duty pay etc I still made decent money, didn't hurt me compared to what I was making back home then.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote