Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 07-10-2011, 10:23 AM   #31
fujimoh
Kneedragger

Moto: CBR 1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Who routinely cuts more education? Who?

You're right...they're all bad...but who's worse?

I know the answer in my state.

Talking about education here, right?

Mine isn't even a political statement...it's a statement of fact.

So your answer is to keep pumping greater and greater percentages of State budgets into a failing system? We have been throwing bales of money into that hole in the water for too long

I would personally like to see the Dept of Education in Florida dissolved and return all of that budget to the local school boards and let them control and decide how to educate their children in their neighborhoods.
fujimoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #32
Crotch Rocket Curmudgeon

Moto: Li'l red baby Ninja

National curriculum. National independent student testing. Independent teacher testing and review.

Accountability that can't be faked by the administrators.

Watch them start using their resources more responsibly, or face unemployment.

Fixed.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #33
goof2
AMA Supersport

I like how the author of the original article likes to blame the testing instead of the teachers. When a student is caught cheating does the test get blamed?

For all the gnashing of teeth over the testing that resulted from No Child Left Behind it strikes me as one of the least onerous ways to measure teacher performance under the current structure of our public education system. Teachers are bitching and moaning about it but they sure as hell wouldn't like what true oversight would look like.

The feds are giving out way too much money to way too many small fiefdoms for its effectiveness to be accurately tracked without a serious commitment on the part of individual schools and school systems. Unfortunately I think the primary thing those schools and school districts are committed to is getting more money from Uncle Sugar.

Kaneman, that was an interesting article you posted but it makes a big assumption without backing it up. It assumes the kids have the interest and ambition to do more than the teachers are giving them, only the teachers don't want to. I'm not sure that is the case for many of these students. The article also doesn't back up your premise that it is an active conspiracy to make the population dumb. With that author the blame is put on teacher laziness/incompetence/motivation. The article also readily states there are AP classes available and I can only guess with the way they describe the regular classes the standard to enter AP classes is not eating paste.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:19 PM   #34
MILK
The cows want you dead.

Its Georgia..

As we left Florida yesterday and entered GA my son said, "Oh great, is Georgia going to stink up the car again?".
MILK is offline   Reply With Quote