Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-15-2012, 07:29 PM   #31
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
To put it simply, if you skydive, you feel the free fall feeling because you have air molecules pushing against you and you are pushing against air molecules. .
The only thing air does is slow you down. It isn't responsible for the sinking feeling you get when you jump.

Get in your car and floor the gas. The reason you feel that isn't because of air resistance inside the car.

Last edited by Homeslice; 10-15-2012 at 07:33 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #32
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
No, you feel it because gravity is accelerating you.

Get in your car and floor the gas. The reason you feel acceleration isn't because of air resistance.
You're right. You feel the force of the car pushing you forward, since your body is trying to stay at rest (look up: inertia).

If there is no air, no other object to push against you as you fall... how do you know you are falling? Perhaps when he initially bunny hopped off the ledge there was that "my guts are changing position" sensation.. but once all that settled into a constant delta V (acceleration), you have no way of really FEELING the fall.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
You wont know you are falling unless you feel the sensation of air across skin or have a visual reference that you are falling. If you jump out of a window you will know you are falling because you see the ground getting closer, you might get a second or two of rushing air but that really it. Jumping out of a plane is similar, but you dont get as good of a sense of distance until you are pretty close to hitting, but you will feel the wind rushing past your skin.
All I can tell you is that when I jumped from a plane, I definitely "felt" it in my stomach before any air resistance was felt. I am pretty sure this is due to the fluids and organs inside your body. If you jump from a plane, those things will try to stay where they were, causing them to rise up inside your body. Common sense says you'll feel that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
A good comparison is the zeroG flights, really while it looks like they are flying, they are actually falling inside of a plane which is loosing altitude at the correct angle and speed so as to mimic zero gravity. The people inside the plane without a visual reference or physical cue only know that they are floating, but have no idea how fast they are actually falling.
And yet you can guarantee they "felt" the sudden weight loss when the plane started to dive. That's my point.

Old 10-15-2012, 08:21 PM   #34
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Ive jumped from plenty of planes, and helicopters, and towers, and I have never felt that feeling that you are describing
Old 10-15-2012, 08:25 PM   #35
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
All I can tell you is that when I jumped from a plane, I definitely "felt" it in my stomach before any air resistance was felt. I am pretty sure this is due to the fluids and organs inside your body. If you jump from a plane, those things will try to stay where they were, causing them to rise up inside your body. Common sense says you'll feel that.
You weren't in a vacuum. If unsure did your blood suddenly boil and your head explode and die? When you jumped out of the plane there was pressure and pressure affects your fluids differently. PV=nRT is the ideal gas law which you can argue for our basis relates to the entire unit(Everything inside Felix's space suit). n = moles which is mass. If you look at a periodic table, the number you see is grams/mole.

Weight is a Force and is derived from mass times gravity. When you weigh yourself on the scale you're actually taking the mass of yourself times the affect of gravity at that location (you weigh less at the equator because you are farther from the center of the earth).

Now going to the PV=nRT. Set the pressure to 0 and you get 0=nRT. Solve for n you get n=0. In a vacuum the weight of your cells, brain, suit, or the 2 ton steel balls Felix brought weigh to 0. For our purposes you can set Force=Weight. Our weight is 0 and our force is 0. a=(0 force)/m. You don't feel acceleration in a vacuum because relative to the unit of Felix, there is no acceleration.

Granted, no one knew until Kittinger went up in 1960.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:38 PM   #36
Homeslice
Elitist

So what you guys are saying is, if you were blindfolded, and totally sealed inside a thick wetsuit or something like that so that you couldn't feel any changes in air movements, that you wouldn't be able to detect falling if someone opened a trap door under you?

No way. Your body is mostly fluid, and it can feel the affects of that fluid being displaced.

Last edited by Homeslice; 10-15-2012 at 08:41 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #37
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Only if you are falling in a vacuum. Pressure is the key thing here. If you are in a vacuum that is falling you would.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:56 PM   #38
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
Only if you are falling in a vacuum. Pressure is the key thing here. If you are in a vacuum that is falling you would.
What does vacuum have to do with inertia's affects on the body? If you're playing football and suffer a concussion, inertia is going to smash your brain up against the inside of your skull regardless of whether you're playing outside or in a vacuum chamber.

Last edited by Homeslice; 10-15-2012 at 09:00 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 09:13 PM   #39
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Then you'd have two opposing forces and yes, you'd feel a negative acceleration as your brain smashes into your skull. But we are talking about free fall. There are no opposing forces.

Are you just being stubborn and wanting to argue or do you honestly feel that Einstein is wrong and also that Kittinger and Felix are liars? I showed the math in the above posts.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:22 PM   #40
Homeslice
Elitist

If Felix has said something about it, feel free to post it. I don't read every single news article.

All I know is that everything with mass has intertia. Including the organs inside your body. So if something grabs you and pulls you in one direction, your organs are initially going to try to remain where they are. You're telling me you wouldn't feel that?

Last edited by Homeslice; 10-15-2012 at 09:25 PM..