Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #31
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Moto: Shadow 750 Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adeptus_Minor View Post
1. Go for a .380, 9mm, or .38 Special, not a rimfire. A single, well-aimed .22 shot can kill, and perhaps the sight of a gun is enough to deter an attack; I wouldn't bet your wife's life on either of those assumptions.

2. Pistol or revolver is not as important as her proficiency with it. Revolvers are 'point & click', and the safety is pretty obvious. Autos will require a little more training, but that shouldn't be a deal breaker. Autos will offer you a little more choice in caliber in a compact size.

3. Did I mention proficiency? If she's scared of it, it will be useless. If it isn't second nature to draw and aim, it will be useless. If she can't operate the safety or firing mechanism, it will be useless.
PLUS1OneONEone

i would never trust anyone's life with a rimfire cartridge. much better to have a centerfire .25 like this http://www.taurususa.com/products/pr...ategory=Pistol
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't give a fuck if it's Hitler cake, it's still CAKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You can come back here with me after the rally and do it!!!
Dragonpaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 09:27 PM   #32
Lamnidae
CMDLINE

Moto: 2008 Black/Grey Hayabusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
S&W .38 special "Lady Smith" Simple to use, never jams, and no safety to deal with. The perfect choice for women to conceal carry.

Hey that's the one my wifey's got.

i'd say 38 or 9.... Stick w/ revolver, easier to use, kinda like a mouse... point and click.
Lamnidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #33
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amblyopic View Post
Hey that's the one my wifey's got.

i'd say 38 or 9.... Stick w/ revolver, easier to use, kinda like a mouse... point and click.
I still can't stand S&W from my Auto 45 and can't bring myself to forgive them for kissing D.C.'s ass during the AWB. A problem I have seen and heard about with the S&W revolvers (Saw a S&W 500 that showed it quick) is the firing pins have bent since they are directly connected to the hammer.

The Taurus revolvers don't have a firing pin that is connected to the hammer. Infact it's also a safety feature so if you do somehow cock the hammer back and it drops before it locks. Your finger has to be on the trigger to fire. Plus it has 5 shots instead of 6 for sleaker carry.

Also don't get hte ultralite 38s. Heavier pistols reduce a lot of the recoil which women prefer. I've seen a lot of women at the range get ultralites and then freak out when that 38 feels like a 357.

But video of me at the range including me firing my stub nose 38/357.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nsu0kyHXF8
Old 12-16-2008, 10:22 PM   #34
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

if you do end up buying her a gun, let me be the first to say: Don't fuck her sister.

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #35
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Ordinarily I would advise against a .22 for self-defense purposes, but seeing how the most likely person to be shot with this gun is you, it's probably a good choice.

JC
Old 12-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #36
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati_atx View Post
for a carry weapon for a chick - why would you want a revolver without a safety? Seems a bit of a risk for something in one's purse, where they are most likely to carry it. If one cant handle the safety, they probably wouldnt be able to pass the conc. carry class.
Revolvers don't have a safety. You are the safety.
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:48 AM   #37
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
If you like the idea of a 22 auto you would be hard pressed to find a better buy than the Walther P22
To echo an earlier thought though you would be hard pressed to find a more relaible easier to use handgun than double action revolver
I agree 100%! The Walther 22 is a very nice little gun for self defense purposes, whether your a tiny woman or a large guy. Very compact, easily carried and deadly with a good aim and close quarters.

I prefer a bit larger myself, with more weight in the rear to stabilize it asI handle and shoot it. 9mm, 40, and 45's are awesome, 45 being my fave. I cant stand revolvers either, i just dont like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjakel View Post
If you can't carry it on your person, don't carry. A purse is useless.
Amen sister. I HATE carrying a purse, if it doesnt fit in my back pocket, it aint going. Ankle holster FTW!

Several people have mentioned gun safety and practice, it cant be said enough. NO ONE needs to be playing with guns if they dont know what they are doing. If you and the wifey are getting a pistol, you BOTH need to be at the range, you both need to take it apart, put it back together, until there would never be an issue with not knowing how to handle it in an emergency situation. (Muscle memory, you do it enough, even if you arent thinking, your body knows what to do.)
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #38
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
I agree 100%! The Walther 22 is a very nice little gun for self defense purposes, whether your a tiny woman or a large guy. Very compact, easily carried and deadly with a good aim and close quarters.
The Walther P22 should not be a defensive piece. It is at best a mediocre range toy. Low quality and either bad engineering or lousy quality control because it's not a reliable piece at all. I just got rid of mine not long ago.

Quote:
I cant stand revolvers either, i just dont like them.
Rae, you broke my heart. There can never be anything between us now. This un-marriage of the mind is too much for me to overcome. Not to mention that it's down right un-American!!!

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 PM   #39
fnfalman
Europhile

Moto: Aprilia RS125, Aprilia SR50 Factory, Aprilia Tuono, BMW Rockster, KTM 990 Adventure

Quote:
IAmen sister. I HATE carrying a purse, if it doesnt fit in my back pocket, it aint going. Ankle holster FTW!
How about garter belt holster?

fnfalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:10 PM   #40
Dragonpaco
Alleged Puppy Pimper

Moto: Shadow 750 Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnfalman View Post
How about garter belt holster?
you have much to teach me sensei
Opinions are nothing like assholes, opinions are like vaginas, less then half of everyone has one, everyone else uses one that isn't their own, and there is no better way to fit in or be cast out than to share yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I don't give a fuck if it's Hitler cake, it's still CAKE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
You can come back here with me after the rally and do it!!!
Dragonpaco is offline   Reply With Quote