Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 04-07-2009, 01:15 AM   #31
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
i was thinking about this thread when riding the other day and something really stood out. when im in a corner i tend to watch the guy in front of me instead of looking through the corner like i should.
I do that, but I'm also following his lines. I learn from doing that when I'm behind a good rider.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:23 AM   #32
Berserker
Trailer Queen

Moto: Honda CBR

Launching at the track...

There is one turn on Missouri HWY 125 that the apex is also at the peak of a hill...just really unsettling.
Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #33
Archren
Sham WOW

Moto: 2007 Ducati 1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue View Post
I do that, but I'm also following his lines. I learn from doing that when I'm behind a good rider.
I have a tendency to do that sometimes, but I've learned that it's a really good way to get sucked into a corner going way faster than what you're comfortable doing (which could potentially mean setting yourself up for a wreck in that you may panic mid-corner, or whatever). Especially people like Chris Fox here in Austin... all you see before he dives in is *tap tap* on the brake, and then swoosh, he's gone. I scraped pegs on Lime Creek Rd. following him (this is when I still had my F2)... Scared the everloving crap out of me.

"The Vincent was like a bullet that went straight; the Ducati is like the magic bullet that went sideways and hit JFK and the Governor of Texas at the same time. It was impossible."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature

"Be who you are and say what you feel
because those who mind don't matter
and those who matter don't mind."
-Dr. Seuss
Archren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #34
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

The other thing I need to work on is, in really tight turns at say speeds of 20-30mph, I tend to want to "dirtbike" it around the corner. Especially on the right handed ones, I'm pushing the bars down and my body is more on top of the bike, definately a habit I can attribute to growing up on dirtbikes.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #35
No Worries
Keyboard Racer

Moto: Old Superbikes

The most difficult for me is passing a car on a twisty two-lane. Takes me a lot of thinking, planning, and calculating. When I pass on a straight between corners, I'm way too fast and in the wrong lane as I'm coming up to next corner. I have to lean one way to get back in the lane, straighten up and brake, then quickly lean the other way to make the corner. Going downhill is even worse. I'm all relieved when I do it correctly, but a minute later, I catch up to another car and have to plan it again.
No Worries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:40 PM   #36
rogue
Wanting to Go Back!!!!

Moto: A Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archren View Post
I have a tendency to do that sometimes, but I've learned that it's a really good way to get sucked into a corner going way faster than what you're comfortable doing (which could potentially mean setting yourself up for a wreck in that you may panic mid-corner, or whatever). Especially people like Chris Fox here in Austin... all you see before he dives in is *tap tap* on the brake, and then swoosh, he's gone. I scraped pegs on Lime Creek Rd. following him (this is when I still had my F2)... Scared the everloving crap out of me.
So far, knock on wood, I haven't done that...yet. I stay far enough back to where I can see what's in front of them. This helps me understand why the position themselves like they do, as well as keeps me from being sucked in. Plus I'm slow in corners.

My knee pads may be Air-Ride and chrome plated but I have standards as to who I use them on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonpaco
so you're just a cougar who doesnt hunt.....a domesticated cougar
Myspace
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 10:46 PM   #37
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

I never push it. I ride at about 70% all the time. Stepping it up means about 80% for me.

There's no fear. I know I can lean this thing way the frak over, I just don't do it.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:50 AM   #38
tached1000rr
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2009 GSXR 1300

It's funny now I've gone from being a stronger lefty to a more aggressive right hand turn guy.
tached1000rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #39
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by tached1000rr View Post
It's funny now I've gone from being a stronger lefty to a more aggressive right hand turn guy.
Mine changes from time to time as well. Sometimes I've got confidence on one side, then another day its the other side...
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #40
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

I aced the tight figure 8 turns during MSF but now they bug the hell out of me. I avoid the tight slow turns when I can. REALLY need to practice dragging the rear brake and keeping the revs up.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote