Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-15-2010, 12:11 AM   #441
njchopper87
Bored

Moto: '01 Spirit 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Oh gawd. Can anyone assist with digging? Or um, throwing oneself at doors and windows?

Was cleaning the garage earlier, and lo and behold, the rescue comes trotting around the the house. He had just finished digging and utilizing the most recent mariana trench under my fence. Tied him up in the garage and let all 3 play while I cleaned the garage, brought them back out to play while I picked up the house and within 5 minutes he was digging a hole on the OTHER side the house, under the fence.

Now, it's bedtime, according to his owner he was an outside dog, but he periodically throws himself at the back door and starts scratching. Or at the window next to the bed.

I put his new rabies tag on him in case he gets out, again, like he did last night, our fault, and I have him tied by the collar on a long rope where he can reach the porch, but not the fence. Have I mentioned how much I HATE tying a dog up?

Any ideas?
Casper used to dig a lot. The only thing we could really do was fill the holes back up to have him dig them up right behind us. There were a couple areas by the fence we threw some potted plants by to discourage him. It's been scorching out recently so I'm unsure if he would still dig if he had the opportunity, but so far he hasn't been. At one point it got so bad that we were going to dig in some chicken wire to make sure he wouldn't escape.
njchopper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:37 AM   #442
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Dogs dig for only a few reasons.

Bordem
Smells
To make a cooler (temp) bed to lay.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:01 AM   #443
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
Australian shepherds are the second pic you posted. the first is the Australian Cattle dog (heeler). They did originate in Australia

Cool, that's what I thought.
Just to keep it relevant, here's another pic of my kelpie mix.

Quit looking at me with those sad doggy eyes... Make your own damn sammich!
Old 07-15-2010, 08:04 AM   #444
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

our little poodle used to dig, A LOT, as in all you'd see would be her butt sticking out of the hole and flying dirt. she just got tired of it or being scolded I guess because she quit after a couple weeks.

I knew a lady who would fill the hole with water and dunk her dogs head in it. I don't have the heart to do that to one of my dogs. she claimed it worked. I would consider squirting him with water if you catch him in the act. although some dogs like that. LOL

not all dogs jumping around like idiots is bad training, my dog sees other people maybe twice a year and other dogs about the same. she goes ape shit when it happens. not aggresive but going crazy. is it training? I don't know the other day she was chasing a cat and immediately dropped chase and came to my side when I called her. I'd say her training is pretty good. you can't remove all traces of "animal" from an animal.

boxers are known for being very hyper. she lives up to her calling.

as for the blue heeler, do you have lots of running room for him? I've also heard they're prone to run off if not preoperly fenced or tied. it's the hunting instinct. critter runs by and the chase is on.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:17 AM   #445
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
our little poodle used to dig, A LOT, as in all you'd see would be her butt sticking out of the hole and flying dirt. she just got tired of it or being scolded I guess because she quit after a couple weeks.

I knew a lady who would fill the hole with water and dunk her dogs head in it. I don't have the heart to do that to one of my dogs. she claimed it worked. I would consider squirting him with water if you catch him in the act. although some dogs like that. LOL

not all dogs jumping around like idiots is bad training, my dog sees other people maybe twice a year and other dogs about the same. she goes ape shit when it happens. not aggresive but going crazy. is it training? I don't know the other day she was chasing a cat and immediately dropped chase and came to my side when I called her. I'd say her training is pretty good. you can't remove all traces of "animal" from an animal.

boxers are known for being very hyper. she lives up to her calling.

as for the blue heeler, do you have lots of running room for him? I've also heard they're prone to run off if not preoperly fenced or tied. it's the hunting instinct. critter runs by and the chase is on.
I have two boxers and neither jump on people or are too rough with other dogs. Proper socializing takes care of them jumping up on people. You said it best, they don't see people or other pets often, so they just get over excited.

We bring ours to the park several times a week. They're to the point that they just walk away from aggressive dogs. It's actually funny, the other dog will be snarling and lunging, my two don't even acknowledge it being alive.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #446
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I had a Australian shepherd /border collie mix that could do your taxes. Very smart. Loyal, loving, protective of my gf, does whatever you want it to. Learns new tricks amazingly well and even picks up on things on it's own. Lots of energy.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #447
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by the chi View Post
Oh gawd. Can anyone assist with digging? Or um, throwing oneself at doors and windows?

Now, it's bedtime, according to his owner he was an outside dog, but he periodically throws himself at the back door and starts scratching. Or at the window next to the bed.
Gas hit is with why he is digging, I think.

Window throwing - watch out, reminds me of my sister's boxer that jumped through a window while she wasn't home. I think it was separation anxiety on why the dog did it.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:10 PM   #448
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Thanks guys, I think your right on the seperation issue. Apparently he is REALLY attached to me. When I go in after being outside with him he just stands and stares at the door for several minutes, and if he hears any movement in the house, that prompts him to stand, stare and hit the door.

We rent, so I cant really afford to make any major changes to the house or yard for him. I tied him last night before bed, the hubby untied him when he got home and we had no issues until this morning. I let the girls out to potty and play, and he dug a hole under a DIFFERENT fence while they were out. The digging seems to be an issue only when the other dogs are out with him.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:30 PM   #449
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
Australian sheperds are the second pic you posted. the first is the Australian Cattle dog (heeler). They did originate in Australia
Smart broads are so sexy!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 12:36 PM   #450
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

Thanks Lon! Didn't even need to go back to college for that bit of info. Just watched Animal Planet while bored.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote