Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 03-27-2010, 11:08 PM   #41
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

BUt doesn't this whole thing tell you that Erik has nobody to blame but himself? He essentially signed over his dream company to a company that was in the cruiser market and epically so. Fast forward to this crazy market. Companies have to make hard decisions. If they fail to do that, they will fail completely.

I understand being tinged at HD for the axe. But they are only acting in self preservation. Erik gave them the power to kill his own dream. He has to be ultimately accountable for end result.

If you don't want somebody to axe your dream, don't give away that power. Especially a corperation that isn't in the same market that you are.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:12 PM   #42
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
BUt doesn't this whole thing tell you that Erik has nobody to blame but himself? He essentially signed over his dream company to a company that was in the cruiser market and epically so.
I agree, I kinda felt sorry for the guy til I read this article.

He went against the advice of his legal counsel and sold his soul to HD. HD fucked him good, but it's his own damn fault for selling out at such a high price. It was a stupid move and he was given that advice prior to making it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 11:25 PM   #43
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

I see why he did. HD has deep pockets. Deep pockets to fund his super mind and make cool shit. You're right... its kinda like selling your soul to the devil. Not to say that HD is the devil, I love HD. But they aren't going to share the same POV and/or goals as somebody in road racing like Buell. Neither would Victory. Maybe he should have tried Ducati or something. I know he wanted to keep it American, but he could have worked that from the inside. At least they would have shared the same passion for the same types of racing and all.

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:01 AM   #44
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

If either of you want to buy me a Harley, I'd gladly ride it. I just don't see the point in supporting a company who didn't give me what I wanted. When the time comes for a cruiser I'll speak with my wallet and there's about a 95% chance it will not be Harley.

Before the Buell fiasco it was the exact opposite. I was considering an XR1200 to suit my needs. Now I think I'd rather a japanese standard or a Triumph..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #45
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
If either of you want to buy me a Harley, I'd gladly ride it. I just don't see the point in supporting a company who didn't give me what I wanted. When the time comes for a cruiser I'll speak with my wallet and there's about a 95% chance it will not be Harley.

Before the Buell fiasco it was the exact opposite. I was considering an XR1200 to suit my needs. Now I think I'd rather a japanese standard or a Triumph..
None of my money will ever go to that company.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:00 AM   #46
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post

triumph. and id be floored if honda doesnt drop a magna 1200 next year
TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 02:18 AM   #47
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Thats awesome. Love that guy. A guy like Erik Buell will get my support all day.
Fat Bastard sent the card...My salesman sends me a card every year and even Ron Ayers has contacted us twice about my gf's bike since she bought it. There are good salespeople for every brand. To be honest, for the most part, I wouldn't count the Harley guys who sold Buells on that list. It was quite typical for guys entering HD dealerships seeking info on Buells, to be treated with apathy at best.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:54 AM   #48
Phenix_Rider
WERA White Plate

Moto: Ninja 650R

Very interesting that he had short-stroke big bores (and turbos!) in the works. That could have brought the rev range and horsepower up to a comparable level, instead of feeling like a tractor engine.

I can understand why he originally sold out. Big ideas and big plans are Erik's thing. Hard to leap into production with wild new ideas if you can't afford to promote or build/sell the numbers you need. How many computer/software/tech companies started in garages and dorm rooms? Nearly all of the great ideas are sold off to deep pocketed monster companies for peanuts.
Old 03-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #49
smileyman
White Trash Hero

Moto: Buell 1125R Porco Rosso Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Fat Bastard sent the card...My salesman sends me a card every year and even Ron Ayers has contacted us twice about my gf's bike since she bought it. There are good salespeople for every brand. To be honest, for the most part, I wouldn't count the Harley guys who sold Buells on that list. It was quite typical for guys entering HD dealerships seeking info on Buells, to be treated with apathy at best.
That happen to you? I went to 2 dealers, Pig Trail HD and Old Fort HD and both dealerships went way over backwards for my business. Best service I have ever recieved from any brand or vehicle auto or bike??

Arkriders.com
To be the best you must first be willing to risk the worst!
smileyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #50
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
That happen to you? I went to 2 dealers, Pig Trail HD and Old Fort HD and both dealerships went way over backwards for my business. Best service I have ever recieved from any brand or vehicle auto or bike??
Yep, I went to two HD dealerships inquiring about Buells...now, I will admit that this was back in the first few years of the brand... I pulled up on my GSXR, wearing typical "rice-rocket" gear and was treated poorly, very poorly. Heck, I once walked into a HD dealership and asked about Buell and the guy replied, "We don't sell that crap here" I swear on my Mother's grave! In fact, I did a job last night where the guy had a Lightning in his garage. I asked him about it and he told a similar story about how he had to ask for it, it was stuffed back in the warehouse and none were on display.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote