Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 09-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #41
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTB View Post
...with an IBM 8088 processor running at 4.77 mhz and 16K of RAM and 2- 5.25 inch floppies...no hard drive. You loaded the boot floppy into A, fired it up, and proceeded to swap floppies till the OS was loaded.

The OS floppies you kept in your OS box....then you went to your APPS box and proceeded to get the 8-10 floppies so you could load LOTUS 1-2-3......or Word.........it usually took about 15 minutes to get your computer so you could use it......kinda like Vista today

Thank fucking god I was born in 88... the only thing i had to struggle through was dial up...
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #42
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

My 1st computer was an Atari 400 (16K RAM, 1.8 MHZ 6502 CPU); I was 11 years old when my older sister gave it to me for Christmas. Eventually got a tape drive for it, and a 300 baud modem.

Every month I would pick up an issue of Compute or some other magazine, and spend a couple of hours torturing my fingers on the flat membrane-style keyboard, entering in the program(s) in BASIC. Of course, when you ran the program, it never worked. There was ALWAYS misprints in the magazine or a logic error in the code somewhere. So I would spend countless more hours going through the code line by line, until I could get it working (sometimes not). After all of that work, the program typically was something quite lame...and I felt a little cheated in the end. But for some unkown reason, I kept doing it.

My parents always knew when I was finished, because for the next couple of weeks I was constantly outside - riding my bike, shooting shit with my BB gun, playing with friends, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atari_400_2_hr.jpg (96.0 KB, 15 views)
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 05:05 AM   #43
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
My 1st computer was an Atari 400 (16K RAM, 1.8 MHZ 6502 CPU); I was 11 years old when my older sister gave it to me for Christmas. Eventually got a tape drive for it, and a 300 baud modem.

Every month I would pick up an issue of Compute or some other magazine, and spend a couple of hours torturing my fingers on the flat membrane-style keyboard, entering in the program(s) in BASIC. Of course, when you ran the program, it never worked. There was ALWAYS misprints in the magazine or a logic error in the code somewhere. So I would spend countless more hours going through the code line by line, until I could get it working (sometimes not). After all of that work, the program typically was something quite lame...and I felt a little cheated in the end. But for some unkown reason, I kept doing it.

My parents always knew when I was finished, because for the next couple of weeks I was constantly outside - riding my bike, shooting shit with my BB gun, playing with friends, etc.
I know your pain, my folks had had a subscription to 99'er magazine which always had a couple of sample programs in the back. For fun I'd try and port said from ti-basic to q-basic on my high school era 286. Iirc it only ever really worked once or twice and even then not well
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote