Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 04-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #41
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post

My electric company would charge me to use my CC... fuck that.
I am surprised your water company lets you.

Businesses accept CC because they think it will help attract/retain customers due to the increased convenience. Restaurants for example. Even fast food places finally woke up and started accepting them because they realized they were losing customers who didn't have cash on them at the time.

But with a water company, there's probably no other game in town, so why should they offer that convenience at their expense?

Same with cable, I mean I really doubt people would cancel their Comcast if they were forced to use bank acct deductions instead of CC.

Last edited by Homeslice; 04-12-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #42
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post

Businesses accept CC because they think it will help attract/retain customers due to the increased convenience. Restaurants for example. Even fast food places finally woke up and started accepting them because they realized they were losing customers who didn't have cash on them at the time.

But with a water company, there's probably no other game in town, so why should they offer that convenience at their expense?

Same with cable, I mean I really doubt people would cancel their Comcast if they were forced to use bank acct deductions instead of CC.
Less paperwork, more automated... saves money. AND, more importantly, it ensures timely payments... I know for my company, we prefer CC because of these things... the cost is minimal compared to chasing customers down for payments...
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:59 PM   #43
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSickPsycho View Post
Less paperwork, more automated... saves money. AND, more importantly, it ensures timely payments... I know for my company, we prefer CC because of these things... the cost is minimal compared to chasing customers down for payments...
Right.

A 2-ish% fee is nothing when you know you are going to get paid each month on time and not have to send the collection squad out every 30 days.
Old 04-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #44
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
OK let's say that you averaged 4% cash back across all your purchases (and that's being generous, since I'm sure most of your transactions only give you 2-3%)..........You would still need to charge $37,500 (more than $3K per month) to get back $1,500. Do you seriously charge that much per month? On what?
Quote:
I can see if you're a homeowner, spending on home improvements........or you have a business on the side that you're spending for.......Otherwise I can't see $3K a month on credit cards unless you're a baller who goes out every night.
I can't remember the last cc bill I had that was under $3k, and that's not including any work-related charges. Day to day expenses, a wife that likes to shop, and a few hobbies here and there can grind through $36k a year in a blink.

WTF do you do all year that $3k/month seems exhorbitant? Play XBox?
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #45
Rangerscott
Viff6N Mutated Warrior

Moto: '01 Honda VFR 800 & '09 ER-6N

Id be broke in no time if I spent $3k a month.

If I was to get a cash back card, who should I go with? Ive always had visa and never have a problem with anyone not accepting them.
Rangerscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #46
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
Sure it does. And why should I use a corporate card when I can get a benefit from using my own? And work is just a small percentage in my case - only 1-2 trips per quarter and an occasional sub-$1K purchase.
Exactly, I use my own for work stuff too. I could use my company card, and they would pay the balance. Instead I use my own and get reimbursed.
I guess if one were living paycheck to paycheck it could be bad, but I can cover the costs until I get paid back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #47
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:

Our city (water, sewer, garbage) and gas bills *can* be paid w/ a cc, for a 5% fee. They get paid by check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:33 PM   #48
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
Id be broke in no time if I spent $3k a month.

If I was to get a cash back card, who should I go with? I've always had visa and never have a problem with anyone not accepting them.
Depends on your spending habits, but the best two for me we're AmEx Blue Cash and Citibank MasterCard Dividends. Rewards are capped at $300 per year on the MC, and AmEx gives a smaller rebate % for the first $6,500 you spend each year. Otherwise they were comparable

That was years ago though and terms and conditions change all the time. Best thing to do is search around to see what offers you the best cash back based on your spending habits.

Last edited by fasternyou929; 04-13-2013 at 10:37 PM..
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:54 PM   #49
Porkchop
125GP Champion

Moto: Empty Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
I can't remember the last cc bill I had that was under $3k, and that's not including any work-related charges. Day to day expenses, a wife that likes to shop, and a few hobbies here and there can grind through $36k a year in a blink.

WTF do you do all year that $3k/month seems exhorbitant? Play XBox?
$3,000??? I don't even MAKE fucking $3,000 in a month. Jesus. I mean I pull a lot of stuff straight from my bank card rather than to the cc. But even if I wouldn't my cc bill would only be about $350-$450 .
1999 Yamaha R6 - Sold
Porkchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 12:03 AM   #50
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

I guess living in the South has its benefits, what's your mortgage, only $1500/mo?

Also I an accustomed to large employers, they don't want you using your personal card, it's against policy. Why would they go to the trouble of issuing corporate cards and creating an intranet portal that automatically uploads your charges onto a T&E form if you're not going to use it?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote