Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-24-2010, 01:39 PM   #41
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Yes it is weak, I agree.

The producers said it wasn't about the mythology, that was left up to personal interpretation by what you believe. They said the show was about character development. That's why the ending is dumb and will kill the impact of the show. It wasn't memorable and will make the rest of the show garbage like the sopranos are now.
"Leaving it up to personal interpretation" = Too lazy to create a back-story for the island's complete history, how it got its powers, the physics/metaphysics involved, etc.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:21 PM   #42
Switch
dadbod

I agree with Homeslice on both counts.

This show was stupid from the get go.

SMOKE MONSTERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 05-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #43
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
"Leaving it up to personal interpretation" = Too lazy to create a back-story for the island's complete history, how it got its powers, the physics/metaphysics involved, etc.
I agree. I also also think this last season was designed to create a new mystery that could be explained in the finale as a distraction from all the mysteries they couldn't or didn't bother to explain.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #44
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
As I said, I watched the first couple seasons, then got tired of not receiving any answers.

I prefer shows that are based on a book that was written in advance.....Not shows where the writers have no idea what's going to happen, and make shit up as they go along.
They lost me about a season and a half back. I couldn't be bothered to figure out what night it was going to be on, THAT week, and simply lost interest.

I do agree with you regarding shows that know where they are going from the beginning. 'Flash Forward' seems to be one of those. 'Babylon 5' knew where it was going, from day 1, and stayed the course despite having their soap opera quality cast members start asking for more money than the producers could pay. 'Lost' writers got all into a panic when they were cancelled, shortened the storyline, then had to recover when they got an additional season.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 08:31 AM   #45
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Lost's problem was it got the audience and then started to go into artsy mode. It lost a lot of it's audience because it kept trying to pull off the artsy crap when it had a good storyline for the mythology part of it. In the end they stuck with the artsy bullshit and never went into the potential they had for the backstory.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:57 AM   #46
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Lost's problem was it got the audience and then started to go into artsy mode. It lost a lot of it's audience because it kept trying to pull off the artsy crap when it had a good storyline for the mythology part of it. In the end they stuck with the artsy bullshit and never went into the potential they had for the backstory.

Damn queers and their lab coats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #47
Sixxxxer
Like Gixxxxer But Not

Moto: 2008 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
I'm sure that I'm in the minority here...but...I've never watched the show...and reading this thread does nothing to make me interested in ever watching it. It sounds dumb as hell.
I never watched a single second of it ever.

So i'm with ya
Old 05-25-2010, 02:28 PM   #48
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixxxxer View Post
I never watched a single second of it ever.

So i'm with ya
Me either, heck I've only ever seen a commercial or two... I have no idea what it's about beyond an island, an airplane crash and one of the hobbits from Lord of the Rings...
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 PM   #49
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
'Lost' writers got all into a panic when they were cancelled, shortened the storyline, then had to recover when they got an additional season.
I think your information is off. As I remember it back in 2007 ABC and the creators of the show agreed to do 3 more seasons. The creators only wanted to do 2 more but ABC wanted the additional season. I also don't ever remember the show being canceled at any point over the 6 seasons. The writers had 3 years to map out how they wanted the show to end. If ABC had jerked them around it would have changed my expectations for the finale but I don't remember that happening.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:23 PM   #50
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
I started watching it to connect with my then boyfriend's teenage sister and it was painful. I hate hour long tv shows and I hate dramas. I thought I'd give it a shot to have something to talk to my now sister in law, but I found out me making fun of the show was not making her hate me less. At all. Go figure.
Which proves why we dont see many well written, serial dramas on American TV. People dont want to pay attention to the story line or get involved in character development. They want easy to grasp/shallow characters with one line jokes and bright colors in easy to swallow 30 minute doses.