Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #41
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Tigger, it strikes me as strange that you're using DOT5... is your brake system compatable with that? Imho brakes [as a safety feature] are more important than anything else on your bike - as even if you blow a tire, you still need to stop. Maintaining brakes are a big deal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I use silicone based because I don't feel like fucking with it every year. I cover it because I like the way it looks.
orly?

Quote:
Silicone Brake Fluids
In years past, all brake fluids were glycol. Then D.O.T. 5, a silicone fluid having a higher temperature rating, emerged, initially to meet the higher boiling point requirements of racing use. (Race car brake systems include oil-cooler-like heat exchangers and ceramic pads.) Silicone fluid was able to withstand the most heat of any brake fluid, so it earned a reputation as a racing brake fluid. However, silicone brake fluid has properties very different from glycol fluid, and has its own pros and cons. On the advantage side, silicone fluid will not harm paint or plastic, and does not aggressively attract additional moisture as glycol fluid does. On the disadvantage side however, silicone fluid aerates easily. Harley-Davison, one of the sole current OEM users of silicone fluid, warns buyers to let the fluid sit at least an hour before using it. The trip home in the saddlebag is enough to aerate silicone brake fluid until it looks like a freshly poured soft drink. Silicone fluid is also slightly more compressible than glycol fluid, does not change color to tip the user to its moisture content, and worst of all, neither accepts or disperses moisture, making systems using it more corrosion prone, and requiring much more frequent fluid changes. Silicone brake fluid also lacks glycol fluid's naturally occuring lubricity, making it incompatible with the mechanical valving in some antilock braking systems.
See, I can quote random internet articles too
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...rakefluid.html

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:57 PM   #42
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

The one I have adds 5 hp
Old 01-24-2010, 04:59 PM   #43
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Isn't that what I said? I said it says to avoid sunlight, but that it doesn't say why. Could be simply because they want to avoid the bottle bursting or something. It doesn't prove that the fluid actually degrades.
I have been to Federal Mogul many, many times. They ship fluids and parts out by the barrel/bin, for the most part. A MSDS is not concerned with "packaging" but only with the material itself. When a manufacturer suggests keeping a product away from any specific condition it will be solely for the purposes of safety and/or product performance. Besides, have you forgotten what we are dealing with here? Brake fluid is extremely temperature stable, otherwise it couldn't be used as brake fluid. Or do you purpose that a bottle of Dot 3 sitting on a window sill will build more heat than it will in the res of a race car?
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #44
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
I have been to Federal Mogul many, many times. They ship fluids and parts out by the barrel/bin, for the most part. A MSDS is not concerned with "packaging" but only with the material itself. When a manufacturer suggests keeping a product away from any specific condition it will be solely for the purposes of safety and/or product performance. Besides, have you forgotten what we are dealing with here? Brake fluid is extremely temperature stable, otherwise it couldn't be used as brake fluid. Or do you purpose that a bottle of Dot 3 sitting on a window sill will build more heat than it will in the res of a race car?
You and I are both speculating about the intentions of the MSDS. I'd still like to see proof. How come there's not one engineering article stating that brake fluid degrades from sunlight?

Like I said, I don't care one way or another......I'd just like to see proof.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:14 PM   #45
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Tigger, it strikes me as strange that you're using DOT5... is your brake system compatable with that? Imho brakes [as a safety feature] are more important than anything else on your bike - as even if you blow a tire, you still need to stop. Maintaining brakes are a big deal...

orly?

See, I can quote random internet articles too
http://www.motorcycleproject.com/mot...rakefluid.html
Oh btw the thing with water and silicone based fluid is that silicone won't mix with water what so ever, which leaves raw water in your system...if it were present to begin with. There is no way for water to just "appear" in a braking system, which makes that concern a bit stupid.imho.

Yea mine was from a part's suppliers website and not an "article" although I do agree with Trip that it's not "proof". Heck, as far as I'm concerned, I like Homeslice's proof of my supposition better, a MSDS/handling sheet from the manufacturer. The SBS page was the first thing that came up when I did a search. My reasons for the using a cover and for using silicone based brake fluid are my own, formulated over 25 years of riding experience...period.

1. cover-total fashion statement, almost zero function.

2 Dot 5 brake fluid.
a don't have to change it as often-according to the manufacturer
b won't eat my paint if it is spilled
c pretty purple color
Old 01-24-2010, 05:21 PM   #46
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Quote:
... My reasons for the using a cover and for using silicone based brake fluid are my own, formulated over 25 years of riding experience...period.

1. cover-total fashion statement, almost zero function.

2 Dot 5 brake fluid.
a don't have to change it as often-according to the manufacturer
b won't eat my paint if it is spilled
c pretty purple color
Everything I've read, and my conversations with actual trained and certified mechanics are against DOT5 fluid going into a system designed for glycol [DOT 3, 4, 5.1] fluids... strange. Hmmmmmmm hope the pretty purple color works well for ya

fwiw, I don't care if or why people use a wristband to cover a reservoir.

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #47
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
You and I are both speculating about the intentions of the MSDS. I'd still like to see proof. How come there's not one engineering article stating that brake fluid degrades from sunlight?

Like I said, I don't care one way or another......I'd just like to see proof.
Dude, a MSDS is not the Bible and subject to interpretation. When ever a MSDS states "Do not expose too________" the product is either hazardous to, as in," Do not expose to skin", reactive to, as in, "Do not expose to oxidizers" or denigrated by, as in, "Do not expose to direct sunlight". They are always talking about the raw product itself without any consideration to packaging.
Old 01-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #48
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Dude, a MSDS is not the Bible and subject to interpretation. When ever a MSDS states "Do not expose too________" the product is either hazardous to, as in," Do not expose to skin", reactive to, as in, "Do not expose to oxidizers" or denigrated by, as in, "Do not expose to direct sunlight". They are always talking about the raw product itself without any consideration to packaging.
Material Safety Data Sheets are for (get this) Material Safety. They list things that are important for humans to know what risks there are and how to protect against them. If it says do not expose to high temps or sunlight, then it's a good assumption they are worried about the combustible danger it has to humans, not what will degrade the usability of the product in it's intended function. It's where you look when you want to see what danger the product holds to you as an individual and workplace, not what will degrade the intended use of the chemical.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:32 PM   #49
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Never heard of "reservoir socks" and originally thought from the title that this thread was going to be about birth control devices.

I label thee thread fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 05:39 PM   #50
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Everything I've read, and my conversations with actual trained and certified mechanics are against DOT5 fluid going into a system designed for glycol [DOT 3, 4, 5.1] fluids... strange. Hmmmmmmm hope the pretty purple color works well for ya

fwiw, I don't care if or why people use a wristband to cover a reservoir.
I've been using silicone based fluid in this bike since 2006, which is also the last time I changed it btw and I've been using it in every bike since at least my '01 or '03 GSXR, I'm not sure. The requirement is that you flush your system completely, since I only make the change while replacing my brake lines, I'm pretty safe. BTW there isn't any reaction between the actual fluids but there can be between the different additives used.