Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 03-22-2010, 01:07 PM   #41
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmike View Post
I need a new grill.

What this infared nonsense?
Rather than cooking over a direct flame, a flame heats a ceramic plate which emits heat to cook. It is supposed to heat up faster, get hotter, reduce hot spots, and reduce flame ups. They work well but for the money I would get another Weber.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #42
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee Stud View Post
Who cares? It's delicious.

edit: So I just read a little bit about it. PAHs form when fat from the meat falls to the burning embers and then burns. The longer the meat cooks, the more at risk you are. Of course, these threats are pretty much eliminated if you A: don't cook directly over the charcoal (like you are supposed to do anyway) and B: if you don't eat your meat "well done" (which you shouldn't, because it sucks that way.)
Everytime I'm over at someone's place or at some kind of picnic, 80-90% of the time they're cooking it right over the charcoal.

And for those dudes that are REALLY old-skool, who don't have gas grills, and use old-skool charcoal and lighter fluid, the cancer risk is much worse due to the chemicals in the lighter fluid. I remember when I was a kid, people used to squirt fluid on the coals even when there was food on the grill......to give their food an extra "flame burst taste"

Last edited by Homeslice; 03-22-2010 at 01:17 PM..
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:20 PM   #43
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
Rather than cooking over a direct flame, a flame heats a ceramic plate which emits heat to cook. It is supposed to heat up faster, get hotter, reduce hot spots, and reduce flame ups. They work well but for the money I would get another Weber.
So basically it converts your grill into one of these?

Instead of beer, are grill-masters now supposed to drink appletini's?
Old 03-22-2010, 01:30 PM   #44
Switch
dadbod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Everytime I'm over at someone's place or at some kind of picnic, 80-90% of the time they're cooking it right over the charcoal.

And for those dudes that are REALLY old-skool, who don't have gas grills, and use old-skool charcoal and lighter fluid, the cancer risk is much worse due to the chemicals in the lighter fluid. I remember when I was a kid, people used to squirt fluid on the coals even when there was food on the grill......to give their food an extra "flame burst taste"
I remember as a kid, I had a buddy whose dad would do this.

I just buy regular charcoal and use a chimney to get it started. Good stuff, just need newspaper.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #45
jtemple
Geek

Moto: 2011 Husqvarna TE630

Yep, charcoal chimneys rock. You can even get an old metal bucket, turn it upside down, and put your chimney on that, if you need to get more coals going while you cook. Say, you're having a big cookout.
jtemple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #46
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

The CharBroil gas grill my in-laws gave us when we moved into this house is now sitting up at the top of my driveway waiting for the trash/recycle service. The internals were rotting out after 4.5 years of use. $200 to replace the internal parts. After some research Friday I said "Screw it" and made the jump to charcoal and bought this Weber Performer. Consistant 5 star user reviews on all of the sites I checked out. Some friends have had one of these (or a stand alone Weber kettle just like it) for 10+ years. Nice feature is the propane coal starter; uses a 16oz bottle of propane to light the charcoal in the chimneys, making for easier starting. Looking forward to breaking it in this week.

Got a TXT msg last night from a buddy I work with and he went out and bought the same thing yesterday since his grill took a shit on him too. Total coincidence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Weber1.jpg (126.2 KB, 84 views)
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:27 PM   #47
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Remenants of tigger, wonder how he is doing.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #48
Switch
dadbod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Charcoal for sure. But my life is jist too busy for tt.
1. Get charcoal chimney
2. Start charcoal
3. Go beat off
4. Grill
Old 05-08-2011, 04:06 PM   #49
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
The CharBroil gas grill my in-laws gave us when we moved into this house is now sitting up at the top of my driveway waiting for the trash/recycle service. The internals were rotting out after 4.5 years of use. $200 to replace the internal parts. After some research Friday I said "Screw it" and made the jump to charcoal and bought this Weber Performer. Consistant 5 star user reviews on all of the sites I checked out. Some friends have had one of these (or a stand alone Weber kettle just like it) for 10+ years. Nice feature is the propane coal starter; uses a 16oz bottle of propane to light the charcoal in the chimneys, making for easier starting. Looking forward to breaking it in this week.

Got a TXT msg last night from a buddy I work with and he went out and bought the same thing yesterday since his grill took a shit on him too. Total coincidence.
That's how we ended up with our Weber, too. I got tired of the Charbroil grates falling apart and the whole damn thing falling apart at a high rate of speed. Nothing but good things to say about the Weber so far.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #50
zerioustt
i like titties

I have a dual purpose grill half propane half charcoal, I love it. Use the gas half to make hot dog and burgers and the coal side to make chicken, steak, ribs.
zerioustt is offline   Reply With Quote