Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-12-2010, 12:17 AM   #41
upshift
Looing for a bike...

Moto: Nothing at the moment

I like this thread and I have only read maybe half. From what I've gathered we have people on one side wearing "Emphysema FTW!" t-shirts and the other side wearing "I like my clean air, leave it alone!" shirts.

I myself don't have a problem with smoking/smokers but I'm glad it's outta the stores, offices, etc... because it's a health hazard. That and the smell isn't all that great. And everyone is talking about lung cancer like it's the only risk, which it's not. I work in the medical field and I have seen what it can do and it's sad. I did find it amusing however when I was jokingly told by a doctor to tell a patient to cut their 5 packs a week down to one and they could afford their med. It may sound bad to say but the doc had a point: the patient would gladly spend $25+ a week on cigarettes but spending near what they pay for cigarettes on a prescription? Out of the question.
upshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #42
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by upshift View Post
I like this thread and I have only read maybe half. From what I've gathered we have people on one side wearing "Emphysema FTW!" t-shirts and the other side wearing "I like my clean air, leave it alone!" shirts.

I myself don't have a problem with smoking/smokers but I'm glad it's outta the stores, offices, etc... because it's a health hazard. That and the smell isn't all that great. And everyone is talking about lung cancer like it's the only risk, which it's not. I work in the medical field and I have seen what it can do and it's sad. I did find it amusing however when I was jokingly told by a doctor to tell a patient to cut their 5 packs a week down to one and they could afford their med. It may sound bad to say but the doc had a point: the patient would gladly spend $25+ a week on cigarettes but spending near what they pay for cigarettes on a prescription? Out of the question.
Whenever someone comes up to me with a cigarette in one hand and a beer in the other saying how they wish they could afford a bike, I tell them that the payment is already in their hands.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:38 AM   #43
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Since I smoked for 4 years I understand why people smoke. My take is this....You should be able to smoke in designated INDOOR areas that are ventilated. Bars should also have designated areas to smoke. This go outside stuff in the Northern states is pure bullshit IMO. You go to a bar to smoke, drink and pick up chicks.

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:54 AM   #44
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
Since I smoked for 4 years I understand why people smoke. My take is this....You should be able to smoke in designated INDOOR areas that are ventilated. Bars should also have designated areas to smoke. This go outside stuff in the Northern states is pure bullshit IMO. You go to a bar to smoke, drink and pick up chicks.
I think there should be smoking bars and non smoking bars. The smoking bars should have to get special licensing or something. BTW obviously "MOST" people don't go to bars to smoke or these laws would never be passed. I don't think that people shouldn't be allowed to smoke, I just think that I shouldn't have to deal with it. I really don't think that is too unreasonable.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:04 AM   #45
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
I think there should be smoking bars and non smoking bars. The smoking bars should have to get special licensing or something. BTW obviously "MOST" people don't go to bars to smoke or these laws would never be passed. I don't think that people shouldn't be allowed to smoke, I just think that I shouldn't have to deal with it. I really don't think that is too unreasonable.
My buddy Alex (never eifel towered a girl with him, but I screwed his wife 10 years before he did) has a bar and once the smoking ban was enacted he lost most of his bussiness, so to bring bussiness back he made his bar smaller, fired 1/4 of his workers and brought smoking back once he was under the size limits. He's doing more bussiness than ever now
Old 05-12-2010, 01:13 AM   #46
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
My buddy Alex (never eifel towered a girl with him, but I screwed his wife 10 years before he did) has a bar and once the smoking ban was enacted he lost most of his bussiness, so to bring bussiness back he made his bar smaller, fired 1/4 of his workers and brought smoking back once he was under the size limits. He's doing more bussiness than ever now
Oh hey I live in NC, I know people smoke! I just hate the smoker's attitude of, "hey, if you don't want to deal with our stench, then stay at home". The worst part is how most bars don't have adequate ventilation to deal with that many people smoking inside.
Old 05-12-2010, 02:06 AM   #47
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
You pushed us out of offices, restaurants and buildings in general. For the most part, we tried to see it your way. You have a problem with indoor smoke, we get that. Now you want to push us off the sidewalks and local parks as well.
That's life in the land of the free...
Your right to choose for yourself is absolutely protected... but I'll be goddamned if they can't legislate everything around it until making anything but the "socially acceptable" choice is as expensive, painful, and inconvenient as humanly possible.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:02 AM   #48
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Tigger, you've never made more sense than you are in this thread. Do your thing, son.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #49
itgirl
is in your head...

Moto: 04 kawasaki zx636, 08 HD xl1200n (nightster)

your right to smoke ends where my nose begins...

kim

www.facebook.com/itgirl25
itgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #50
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Fuck you all.

I have always made somewhat of an effort to no blow smoke in peoples faces. 99% of the time I step away or walk downwind, and for a while that was okay, then folks started to complain that even no being around it will affect you