pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
Dance Monkey! Dance!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:20 PM   #42
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I disagree. Being a lumber jack builds character.

Bringing me my food makes you subservient.

You walk back and forth to the kitchen and top up drinks.

If anybody thinks that is in any way a hard job, then you didn't have enough character building.
I've also been a roofer. Making money in hospitality requires a different set of skills. They both build character. Just one man's opinion.
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:33 PM   #43
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceaholic View Post
I've also been a roofer. Making money in hospitality requires a different set of skills. They both build character. Just one man's opinion.
I think we have a different definition of "character".

To me somebody who has built character has realized that life is hard, and sometimes you just have to lower your head and keep plowing on through till you reach the other side.

A man with character can eat his shit sandwich and joke about the stale bread.

Somebody bitching 10 years later about how rude people sucked and only gave them 20% for doing 10 minutes of actual work hasn't built any character from doing it. They've just added experience to their life. This is, of course, just another man's opinion..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:59 PM   #44
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

#51. Own up to your mistakes. If you fucked up and forgot to put the order in, admit it. Don't act like nothing happened. And come back and refill drinks sometime during the 45 minutes that people have been waiting for their fucking sandwich at lunch while other people came in after them and are already done eating. And if you're a manager, at least fucking apologize, rather than telling the people to call ahead during the busy hour, especially since there were only 10 people sitting in the place when the 8 of them walked in.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:18 PM   #45
Amorok
Issukangitok

Moto: '06 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

I've been a waiter. It was a shit job that I didn't enjoy and I did it to pay bills. No one at any of my tables knew that. I wrote your order down on a pad and kept your order in my pocket as long as you were there. Before I came to your table I looked at my list so I knew what your order was, and if there were questions I was ready. If your order was wrong I went to the kitchen and made it right, and the last thing you heard from me was "Thank you for visiting us, please come back soon!" I made sure to treat your meal as an important event, because as far as I knew it was your anniversary. I got great toips and was requested by repeat customers and the other waiters wondered why. It isn't a particularly difficult job nor is it physically demanding. People should have a modicum of preofessionalism and there wouldn't be problems with service.
Old 11-04-2009, 06:24 PM   #46
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
I've been a waiter. It was a shit job that I didn't enjoy and I did it to pay bills. No one at any of my tables knew that. I wrote your order down on a pad and kept your order in my pocket as long as you were there. Before I came to your table I looked at my list so I knew what your order was, and if there were questions I was ready. If your order was wrong I went to the kitchen and made it right, and the last thing you heard from me was "Thank you for visiting us, please come back soon!" I made sure to treat your meal as an important event, because as far as I knew it was your anniversary. I got great toips and was requested by repeat customers and the other waiters wondered why. It isn't a particularly difficult job nor is it physically demanding. People should have a modicum of preofessionalism and there wouldn't be problems with service.
Sounds like you knew what the hell you were doing. Unlike many of the teeny bopper ass clowns doing it now a days.

Get off my lawn, you kids!

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #47
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
Somebody bitching 10 years later about how rude people sucked and only gave them 20% for doing 10 minutes of actual work hasn't built any character from doing it. They've just added experience to their life. This is, of course, just another man's opinion..
Yeah I can say I learned absolutely nothing other than not to wait tables anymore.

I can't really say I've learned anything of real value at any job I've had though.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 06:27 PM   #48
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
Yeah I can say I learned absolutely nothing other than not to wait tables anymore.

I can't really say I've learned anything of real value at any job I've had though.
I've learned that working in TV news SUCKS ASS! GOV'T WORK FTW!

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #49
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I waitressed at the local hotel/restaurant when I was 14. I hated it and people tipped like crap no matter how hard I worked. The 25 cent breakfast tip was very common with the regulars. Made me determined to get an education so I didn't have to waitress my whole life.I

I think a good tip for good service is due, but if service sucks we will leave a small or no tip at all. If I have coffee, I want a refill, not to sit there for 20 minutes trying to chase a server down.

I also tip more if I am demanding more, special orders, lots of coffee or pop refills etc.
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:07 PM   #50
TYEster
With MORE TYEstosterone

Moto: '12 KX450F / 08 YZ250F #512 / 07 KX65 #1

I bet this hasn't been addressed yet...

#Whatever - When a customer is CLEARLY eating, has food in their mouth, or is in other words enjoying the food - DON'T ASK QUESTIONS to which the customer will have to respond while trying to enjoy the food. "How is the food?" is ONLY acceptable if the customer is not eating, sitting without touching the food, plate or beverage, or is waving you down because something's fucked up.

I am tired of having to respond when I clearly DONT have a problem with my food. Even when I'm picky, it's obvious and I make life easy for the wait staff.
*this falls under the "dumb questions" thread too. Why WHY do they always ask when I'm in the middle of a mouthful of food? I would respond with words but I was taught manners. So instead I just sit there till I'm done. Annoying? Hmm maybe someone should have some better timing and customer service.
TYEster is offline   Reply With Quote