Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-04-2009, 07:00 AM   #41
Quick281
Victim of Blazer Rapage

Moto: 06 GSXR 600

I am glad this topic came up. It is fun to see the responses.

As some of you know I am in the middle of no where Alaska right now. I am VERY lucky to have a job at a little bakery in a town of 800 people. Winter work in nill here and most people are happy collecting unemployment until summer rolls around and the jobs open up for a couple months. (Tourism based town)

I have a bachelors in Business Management and some days I really want to move to the town of Wasilla (Palin can see Russia from there) and put my degree to some use. However, I hate that town and the people in it. I love my small town and the quirkiness of the people in it. Will I be here forever? Probably not but I am enjoying this odd moment in my life.

I am considering going to the University of Alaska next winter to get certified as either a diesel mechanic or a welder. There are lots of construction jobs out here and I would enjoy working either of those fields despite the fact it means going back to school and not using the degree I already invested 4 years into.

Happiness first right?

My 06 GSXR 600 <-- Its Clickable Fools.
Quick281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:07 AM   #42
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrchick View Post
My husband was farmed out to the VDQ...For the past 3 days he's been on the beach in Curaco and I've been with our 4 month old for 2 weeks. It's great that he earns the money he earns, but I know I work harder and longer on average and earn less.

For the next 8 months, my job is to raise our baby. Love it, wouldn't trade it for the world. Long hours. Crappy hours. Crappy pay and well...crap. Much like my real job in the ER except I get to snuggle and someone likes my silly songs.

My career as a nurse... I don't like going to work some days but don't mind it once I am there. Deal with far too many sad/scary things and get tired of being someone's perpetual and literal punching bag. Love most of the medical/clerical staff I work with....others make the day longer and more stressful than need be.

Could I imagine being anything else. Probably not. I am good a this. This is what I was ment to be.

People (Tommy excluded, aka, nurse hater!! ) don't laugh when they ask what I do. Most are appreciative and have a story to tell about another person like me that has helped them or their family. That or if I can give them a sponge bath....

I'm really, really good at that too!

hey I am not a nurse hater, just a bad nurse hater

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #43
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

I make reasonably good money, have a good supervisor and (for the most part) good co-workers, and when I walk out the door I can look in any direction and see 20 year old hotties from every nation on Earth. Yeah, I hate my job

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:43 AM   #44
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick281 View Post
I am glad this topic came up. It is fun to see the responses.

As some of you know I am in the middle of no where Alaska right now. I am VERY lucky to have a job at a little bakery in a town of 800 people. Winter work in nill here and most people are happy collecting unemployment until summer rolls around and the jobs open up for a couple months. (Tourism based town)

I have a bachelors in Business Management and some days I really want to move to the town of Wasilla (Palin can see Russia from there) and put my degree to some use. However, I hate that town and the people in it. I love my small town and the quirkiness of the people in it. Will I be here forever? Probably not but I am enjoying this odd moment in my life.

I am considering going to the University of Alaska next winter to get certified as either a diesel mechanic or a welder. There are lots of construction jobs out here and I would enjoy working either of those fields despite the fact it means going back to school and not using the degree I already invested 4 years into.

Happiness first right?
I'd get out of there before the vampires show up and eat everyone.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:49 AM   #45
sherri_chickie
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: Gs500F

I love the school I work at, I have a cush job as the Resource Teacher and the pay is not half bad. I am pretty happy here. Now if I won a couple million I would quit and be a stay at home mom ( until I got bored and went back part time)
sherri_chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:03 AM   #46
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

I went to college and majored in Communications. I thought it would be fun to work in media. I originally wanted to be a sports anchor. I wanted to do something I would enjoy. I knew going in that the pay would SUCK...and it does. And I knew it would be tough to actually find a job. Comm is a cake walk through college and a lot of people major in Comm. So there are a ton of peeps looking for work.

I got a job in at a major market (top 50) TV station a month after I graduated as a tape editor for the morning show. Pay was 22k. SUCKED. Tought me a lot about the biz.

After a year a moved up to a Photojournalist slot. I loved it. I gave on being on air, I enjoyed working behind the camera much more than being in front. I won a few awards. Then the business got shitty. Lay offs, pay cuts, run and gun style of ENG. SUCKED DONKEY BALLS.

So I got out. Moved on to state government. I enjoy this work. It's boring at times, the subject matter sucks a lot. But for a TV gig it's as easy as it gets. Hardly ever a daily deadline. EXCELLENT government benefits. Pay is not great, but WAY better than news. 21% pay INCREASE when I took this job. A lot of days, like today, are spent cruising the internet. I dont dread going to work every day.

Cliff notes: Yes I'm happy going to work.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:42 AM   #47
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
I went to college and majored in Communications. I thought it would be fun to work in media. I originally wanted to be a sports anchor.
Probably a good thing that didn't work out for you. I've got a friend here in Tulsa who is a sports anchor and while he likes his job well enough, he absolutely hates the hours.

He rides, and really likes competing in trials events, but he HAS to be at the station to do the evening news. If we have a big, two-day event, he's screwed. He can get to most of the local events just fine, but he usually has to leave either immediately when it's finished or sometimes even before he gets to finish the event just so he can hightail it back to the station because he has to be on the air. You can tell he'd much rather be riding.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #48
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
Probably a good thing that didn't work out for you. I've got a friend here in Tulsa who is a sports anchor and while he likes his job well enough, he absolutely hates the hours.

He rides, and really likes competing in trials events, but he HAS to be at the station to do the evening news. If we have a big, two-day event, he's screwed. He can get to most of the local events just fine, but he usually has to leave either immediately when it's finished or sometimes even before he gets to finish the event just so he can hightail it back to the station because he has to be on the air. You can tell he'd much rather be riding.
Yeah, sports in general suck. It's always gonna be nights and weekend work. F that.

I always loved sports. But it's tough to be creative shooting sports highlights. News was much better suited for that.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:18 PM   #49
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post

Time for him to do a remote from the competition and support the sport.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 01:45 PM   #50
Krabill
WERA Yellow Plate

Moto: 08 WR250R, 12 XTZ1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Time for him to do a remote from the competition and support the sport.
He does when he can. He always does a highlight of our local big 2-day event and a few others. But again, he has to film in the morning, then hightail it back to the station to edit it and get it on the air that evening while the rest of us are out riding.

I didn't even mention football season. That poor guy is tied up pretty much every night for months during that.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote