Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 06-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #41
Apoc
For Science. You Monster.

Moto: '08 HD FLSTSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatard View Post
Wait, I'm no engineer. Top kill? Junk shot? I dunno shit about 'em.

I do think one thing though:

Wouldn't a nice explosive shot down the hole essentially "liquefy" the sea floor in that area momentarily, and then it would all immediately re-settle due to gravity and water pressure, and seal this shit right up?

Why can't the Navy aim something straight down the throat of this thing?
Too much pressure. They actually do use dynamite to kill wells, as long as they arent to deep. Deeper the well, the more pressure coming from it, and explosion inside of it would not seal a well that deep, and instead make it impossible to shut down at all.

Its a mess right now, but wait till the hurricanes get into that shit, and starts pushing it up the gulf stream, all over the the shores of the atlantic ocean.

Oh, and thats august assuming they actually hit the relief well on the first try, and dont end up off by even a little bit. This is a huge mess that is going to turn catastrophic. I cant imagine how much marine life has died because of this.

And dont let your babies grow up to be cowboys, either.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #42
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtemple View Post
The one thing that bothers me about this is that there was no backup plan, should an accident like this happen. Of all the offshore rigs owned by all the different oil companies in the world, not one of them has a way to fix an accident like this? Unbelievable. Let's hope everyone at least learns something from this and has some sort of emergency plan in place, with the proper gear staged nearby, should it happen again.
I agree. The should be gear no more then 2 days away from drilling sites. How many rigs are there in the Gulf? They should have a way to stop pretty much any leak within days of it happening.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #43
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I agree. The should be gear no more then 2 days away from drilling sites. How many rigs are there in the Gulf? They should have a way to stop pretty much any leak within days of it happening.

James

You dont just grab an oil platform and move it in a couple of days. Its easy to throw out ideas when you dont understand the scale of the operation.

Not defending BP, apparently they are a pretty shady company. But its not as simple as grabbing a rig and moving it where you want in a matter of days. I was actually suprised they said they could have the job done by August. Especially in the middle of hurricane season. I'd say August is the best case scenario.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:47 PM   #44
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
You dont just grab an oil platform and move it in a couple of days. Its easy to throw out ideas when you dont understand the scale of the operation.

Not defending BP, apparently they are a pretty shady company. But its not as simple as grabbing a rig and moving it where you want in a matter of days. I was actually suprised they said they could have the job done by August. Especially in the middle of hurricane season. I'd say August is the best case scenario.
I don't mean moving a rig. I mean having the equipment in place to handle things like this. They are guessing at how to stop the leak. They shouldn't be drilling at depths that they don't know how to work in.

And I do have a small idea on the scale of operation. They need to have a lot of pre planning done. That big ass steal condom that was built (that didn't work), should have been pre made, tested and ready to go when needed. They are fucking the ocean and the lives of many people.

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:28 PM   #45
Apoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
I don't mean moving a rig. I mean having the equipment in place to handle things like this. They are guessing at how to stop the leak. They shouldn't be drilling at depths that they don't know how to work in.

And I do have a small idea on the scale of operation. They need to have a lot of pre planning done. That big ass steal condom that was built (that didn't work), should have been pre made, tested and ready to go when needed. They are fucking the ocean and the lives of many people.

James
It was absolute freak circumstances from what I understand. A failsafe system failed. As I said in the last thread, BOP's have never failed before.

If they followed procedure, and it was an approved BOP, and it failed, then as far as im concerned, they did all they could do.

This is a catastrophic mess, and I think this is just the beginning of a much, much, much larger problem before this is all over. But the fact is, if BP adheres to its governments standards on offshore drilling, and used proper equipment in its wells, then the blame isnt really on them.

However, if it turns out they were using inadequate safety measures and equipment, then I hope they all rot in prison.

Im just saying, its easy to judge, but none of us know what actually happened, and who is really at fault. If they regularly test their BOP's, and they were always in working order, its hard to fault BP. Every other company in the world is using the same standards they are. Considering they are in the USA, their standards might even be higher than most countries.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #46
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

I remember the old days when a thread title like this would result in dozens of Harley jokes.
Unfortunately, they are pretty well built nowadays so now its all "serious talk" in here.
lame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:01 PM   #47
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
I remember the old days when a thread title like this would result in dozens of Harley jokes.
Unfortunately, they are pretty well built nowadays so now its all "serious talk" in here.
lame
I would have though the guy with the 08 1000RR wouldn't want to poke the oil leak/consumption bear but I guess not.

Are you happy now?
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:02 PM   #48
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

nice

Handle every stressful situation like a DOG: If you can't eat it or hump it, pi$$ on it & walk away.
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #49
pauldun170
Serious Business

Moto: 1993 ZX-11 2008 CBR1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I would have though the guy with the 08 1000RR wouldn't want to poke the oil leak/consumption bear but I guess not.

Are you happy now?
First of all CBR1K don't leak oil they burn oil like a two stroke.
second... your a scumbag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
feed your dogs root beer it will make them grow large and then you can ride them and pet the motorcycle while drinking root beer
pauldun170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:12 PM   #50
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauldun170 View Post
First of all CBR1K don't leak oil they burn oil like a two stroke.
second... your a scumbag
That's why I put the /consumption, but you are right on both counts.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote