Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 04-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #41
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
The monster Miata or another version of it would be a beast and a blast to drive. Similar to the Cobra kit cars I would imagine. I've driven two of the Cobra replicas...one from Superformance and one from FactoryFive Racing but never a V8 Miata. Well come to think of it I've never driven a Miata period.
I think the biggest difference would be the inability to put serious tires on the Miata without significant body work. Putting 400+ horsepower through 225s is guaranteed to induce some pucker.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #42
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I think the biggest difference would be the inability to put serious tires on the Miata without significant body work. Putting 400+ horsepower through 225s is guaranteed to induce some pucker.
Very true. I had 225's on a 92 5.0 Mustang with 440 rwhp so I switched to 245's and it was better but still not enough meat.

My Vette has 295's but still no match for the power without putting drag radials on it.

From a roll they both were/are fun.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #43
Chris S
Kneedragger

Moto: '07 KTM Super Duke (for sale), '07 KTM 300 XC-W

V8 Miatas are fun, but I don't have time for a project car, and I shuffling 5 vehicles around the garage/driveway is already a royal PITA. Can't wait to sell the old Miata, and we're thinking about selling the Jetta. The M3, new Miata, and Ridgeline would make a great combo and cover all our needs.
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:13 PM   #44
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
Fairly certain a properly set up LS1/2/etc Miata will slaughter the Beemer in every aspect of performance. Style and comfort, no, but definitely speed and handling.
In speed? Doubtful unless it had a V8. I don't think you could boost the stock 4-cyl enough to beat the M3.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:42 PM   #45
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
In speed? Doubtful unless it had a V8. I don't think you could boost the stock 4-cyl enough to beat the M3.
Do they make a 4cyl LS1?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 12:05 AM   #46
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Yeah well I wouldn't want to put a V8 in that car. People can claim it has no effect on handling, but that's BS. Just because it might acheive the same lateral G's or slalom doesn't mean it handles exactly the same. There is a certain lightness in the steering and tossability that would be lost. Also, personally it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. In a V8 Miata your throttle foot would be itching all the time, with almost nowhere to use it.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 03:57 AM   #47
101lifts2
WSB Champion

Moto: 2009 Kawi ZX6R

Quote:
Yeah well I wouldn't want to put a V8 in that car. People can claim it has no effect on handling, but that's BS. Just because it might acheive the same lateral G's or slalom doesn't mean it handles exactly the same. There is a certain lightness in the steering and tossability that would be lost. Also, personally it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow. In a V8 Miata your throttle foot would be itching all the time, with almost nowhere to use it.
But is is more fun to drive a fast car, fast?

Ron Paul - 2012

Mark of Excellence
GM
101lifts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 09:22 AM   #48
Adeptus_Minor
Hopster

Moto: 2009 Buell 1125R

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
But is it more fun to drive a fast car, fast?
I would have to say yes, but where are you going to drive what amounts to "fast" in a fast car? You can feel fast in a sufficiently agile 'slow' car in real world (ie. less potential for flaming death) driving situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty72
Do they make a 4cyl LS1?
Sure, just pull four spark plugs out of the regular LS1.
Old 04-04-2009, 12:38 PM   #49
Chris S
Kneedragger

Moto: '07 KTM Super Duke (for sale), '07 KTM 300 XC-W

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101lifts2 View Post
But is is more fun to drive a fast car, fast?
Yes, at least until you see the flashing blue lights in your rearview mirror or end up w/ a crunched up car &/or body!
Chris S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:31 PM   #50
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Any modification will have an effect on handling. One kit for LS swaps adds less than 200 lbs and has the engine pushed back enough to put about 1/3 of the additional weight on the back wheels. It will effect handling, but with weight on the front wheels increasing by less than 10% it shouldn't completely change the dynamics of the car. Putting huge wheels and tires on one would probably have a more detrimental effect on handling. Concerning the power, that is a personal choice. For people who want more there is no replacement for displacement. I would be curious to see what a 260 horse Cosworth motor would do, but that costs 3 or 4 times what a brand new LS motor costs.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote