Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 06-23-2009, 11:05 AM   #41
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Aww come on rae, you know we are just trying to help, but you are free to do whatever you want. Ya'll make fun of me for my squiding I have done. I know what could come of it and I do it anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:07 AM   #42
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Aww come on rae, you know we are just trying to help, but you are free to do whatever you want. Ya'll make fun of me for my squiding I have done. I know what could come of it and I do it anyway.
What, you no likey my hypotizing picture?

Im not offended, I understand you guy's reasons for trying to assist, honestly these days I ride so little, its almost a moot point. Batteries dead, and packing and working take up most of my time. *sigh*
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #43
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post

Im not offended, I understand you guy's reasons for trying to assist, honestly these days I ride so little, its almost a moot point. Batteries dead, and packing and working take up most of my time. *sigh*
When I get the GS, I am going to come down there and chase you on it til you get on the bike and ride. LOL!
Quote:
Whatever,Stoner is a bitch! O.J. Simpson has TWO fucked knees and a severe hang nail on his left index finger but he still managed to kill two younger adults,sprint 200 feet to his car (wearing very expensive,yet uncomfortable Italian shoes) and make his get a way!!!
Old 06-23-2009, 11:36 AM   #44
MikeSP1
Perpetual trouble

Moto: VTX 1300C, RC51, CBR600RR, CBR929RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post

That problem, my dear, had better be resolved before I get there next spring. If it isn't, then it will be shortly after I arrive. I will be riding, and will need someone to ride with.

Which reminds me, I need to start looking for a bike to buy when I get there
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"
MikeSP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM   #45
t-homo
WSB Champion

I didn't realize my face had moved so close to the computer till i tried to look away.
t-homo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #46
Yamerhaw
Country Boy

Moto: 07 R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Some of these repsonses are scaring me.
no doubt!

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.
Yamerhaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #47
MissHell
Followed the crowd over.

Moto: '07 Yahama R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
Lets clarify a few things before going any further. First, trail braking is an essential skill for performance riding. There is no going fast without it. Second, trail braking MUST be either application of the front brake alone, or a combination of both brakes. Dragging the rear brake into a corner is not trail braking.

The biggest function of trail braking is load distribution upon corner entry. If you brake in a straight line, release the brakes, then turn in, you are forcing the suspension to compress, decompress, and then compress again as you turn in. This causes the chassis to be unstable and fighting the rider through the duration of the corner. Proper trail braking will allow you to compress the forks, then trade braking forces for cornering forces while keeping the chassis of the bike stable and properly loaded. As I explored the development of this skill I gained a huge respect for the ability of pro riders to use and properly control the front end of a motorcycle. It's mind boggling what capabilities are really there if you know how to use them. It's important to approach your development of this skill slowly, because it's easy to get in over your head and tuck the front end when you don't know how to ride the front wheel properly.
I think your response was directed at everyone, but I wanted to know more.

I never hear the term "trail braking" until my track instructor told me I was doing it. About 70% of the time I use my front brake BEFORE a turn to slow down. However I also use the method of using my rear brake in the turn, to kinda slide through the turn, this is trail braking?

Are both methods okay? What are the con's of trail braking?
MissHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 04:38 PM   #48
The Awesome
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissHell View Post
I never hear the term "trail braking" until my track instructor told me I was doing it.
I don't know where you went or who you worked with, but unfortunately some "instructors" are not qualified to do what they're doing. Don't necessarily assume that because someone has a vest on and talks a lot that they know what they're talking about. I've seen instructors before throwing around terminology and giving advice that was out of their realm of understanding. He may have simply seen you braking at some point while leaned over and told you that was trail braking. Of course, this is just conjecture on my part.

Quote:
About 70% of the time I use my front brake BEFORE a turn to slow down. However I also use the method of using my rear brake in the turn, to kinda slide through the turn, this is trail braking?
It depends on exactly how you're using the front. I am not a rear brake user, so I'm not going to try to tell you how to properly incorporate the rear brake into the equation. The important part is to consider what the suspension is doing during the time you're using the front brake.

When I approach most corners, I apply maximum front brake, bringing the rear of the bike to the point that it is just barely contacting the ground. The immediate goal is to get to the point that the chassis is stable and I can keep the bike right at the edge of totally raising the rear wheel. Below is a good picture to show the distribution of weight when you are close to maximum braking:

Note that the forks are very close to being bottomed out, and the rear shock is completely decompressed. I am anchoring myself to the bike with my lower body, and my elbows are bent and keeping weight off of the front end of the bike. This will allow for more brake application before the rear comes off of the ground.

The next thing I often do is to bring the bike slightly out of line using foot input and momentum. I like to do this right before the point of turn in to get a little head start on getting the bike turned. It's not a massive Gary McCoy style move, it's just a minor shifting of the rear wheel out of line from the front. I tend to do this on corners at the end of straights where the speeds are higher and it takes more input to make the bike turn.

At this point, I begin to turn the bike in, and I begin to trail off of the front brake as cornering forces increase. The key here is to be very sensitive to the feel of the front end, and know what the bike feels like when it approaches the limits of traction. In an ideal scenario, I want to keep the tire at the threshold of breaking traction all the way from the point that I first apply the brake to the point that I release it completely and begin to throttle out. If you have 100% tire traction available, you want the percentage being taken up by cornering and the percentage being taken up by braking to equal 100% or as close to it as you can. If you're using 60% of available traction by braking, you want to be using the other 40% for cornering. As you proceed deeper into the corner, the amount being taken by braking will decrease as you release the lever, and the cornering percentage will increase as you lean the bike and proceed through the corner. Anything below 100% would be failing to use the available traction, and anything over 100% would result in a slide that may or may not be recoverable.

Quote:
Are both methods okay? What are the con's of trail braking?
Using the rear brake alone will not set the suspension correctly, but it can be incorporated into the process. Focus on what the front forks are doing when you ride. If they are decompressing between the point that you first apply the brakes and the apex of the corner, you are not trail braking correctly.

There are no cons to trail braking from a performance standpoint. The only con is that the deeper you go and the harder you push the smaller the margin of error becomes, and the amount of skill required to explore the limits of the front end increases rapidly.

Last edited by The Awesome; 06-23-2009 at 08:18 PM..
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:26 PM   #49
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

That was an AWESOME POST!!!! Seriously!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 05:35 PM   #50
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Very nice dude, great read.
Quote: