Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #51
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
There is nothing you can do once they're gone, I know. And most times no one knows a persons intentions. But to condemn them as not manly enough or weak for killing themselves is harsh.

Just saying...
I've never really understood this attitude either.

It's like the people in cars that get upset if you're lane splitting. They're miserable and stuck in traffic, and figure you should be miserable too.

Why should someone who has stopped enjoying life, for whatever reason, be condemned for leaving the party early?

My only objection to suicide, is leaving others to clean up your mess.

JC
Old 07-09-2009, 12:05 AM   #52
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
I've never really understood this attitude either.

It's like the people in cars that get upset if you're lane splitting. They're miserable and stuck in traffic, and figure you should be miserable too.

Why should someone who has stopped enjoying life, for whatever reason, be condemned for leaving the party early?

My only objection to suicide, is leaving others to clean up your mess.

JC
No the traffic thing is different. If the road is life then the lane splitter is just doing it better. The lane splitter would be like the guy with the big tit model and the one stuck in traffic would be like the guy jerking to the sears catalog.

Now if you want to compare traffic to suicide, the guy sitting in traffic is dealing with life as it comes. Its not always pretty but everyone else has to deal with it.

My aunt didn't end her life when she was dying with cancer (that fucking shit disease that is taking way to many people). Farrah Fawcett fought to the end from what I hear. What could be so bad in my brothers friends life that made his life harder to deal with then that of someone with cancer?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:11 AM   #53
Fleck750
Spiker bike

Moto: KZ750

Quote:

JC
This planet can be a pretty crappy place. Most days it's a matter of survival for those of us that just get by. I guess I should have made better decisions in life that by age 45 that life would be peachy keen. House paid for, $50k a year, perfect hubby, college educated kids, enough money for whatever vacation I want to take, and enough for hobbies.

Hobbies must be the key, cause those are the things that keep reality at bay. Focusing on reality is what causes depression, because heredity, chemical imbalances, and in being poor certainly can't have anything to do with it.
Fleck750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:32 AM   #54
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
No the traffic thing is different. If the road is life then the lane splitter is just doing it better. The lane splitter would be like the guy with the big tit model and the one stuck in traffic would be like the guy jerking to the sears catalog.

Now if you want to compare traffic to suicide, the guy sitting in traffic is dealing with life as it comes. Its not always pretty but everyone else has to deal with it.
You just proved my point through. Why should everyone else have to deal with it, just because you do? It's their life, not yours.

Quote:
My aunt didn't end her life when she was dying with cancer (that fucking shit disease that is taking way to many people). Farrah Fawcett fought to the end from what I hear. What could be so bad in my brothers friends life that made his life harder to deal with then that of someone with cancer?

James
I can't comment of your brothers friend. I don't know what his reasons were.

I've had cancer, and a stroke, (I'm waiting for a heart attack, so I can qualify for a free toaster), but as long as my quality of life is good, I'm sticking around. After that, who knows? I'm sure as hell not going to wait around, if it's obvious I'm going to croak anyway. I'd rather die happy (ish) than have my family watch me waste away.

JC
Old 07-09-2009, 12:35 AM   #55
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I won't go into detail because I don't want to get into a "my pain is greater than yours" contest or even the slightest whiff of one... I'll just say this, I have had several traumatic things happen to me over the course of my life. I have often thought that it would be better to just cash it in and wave goodbye to this "cruel world" as it were. Just end it.... The thing is then the world would win, it would have beaten me. I can't allow that. I also won't take pills for several reasons but mainly because it's just a patch, a very temporary one at that. In my experience, these so called doctors give this medication far too easily but for good reasons at first. The patient has damn well sufficient reason to be depressed! The medication might be necessary at first. Unfortunately, once they are on this train it's next to impossible to get off.

For example, when she was 13, my ex-girlfriend was getting molested by the guy that ran the pool in their neighborhood. When she finally got up the courage to tell her parents, no one believed her. She had a problem telling lies and the man was a Deacon and a close friend of her father. So she started acting up, getting into trouble and became depressed. A doctor placed her on an anti-depressant and she is still on anti-depressants to this day 14 years later. She still has emotional problems AND now she is a drug addict to boot! I have seen heroin addicts, I have seen crack addicts, I have never seen someone freak out like I saw this girl freak out when she was even one day without her Lexipro! Wonderful. It's a pill for every problem isn't it? I just don't understand how our ancestors managed considering that they faced far greater challenges and hardships than we do without being on drugs.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:45 AM   #56
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
You just proved my point through. Why should everyone else have to deal with it, just because you do? It's their life, not yours.

I've had cancer, and a stroke, (I'm waiting for a heart attack, so I can qualify for a free toaster), but as long as my quality of life is good, I'm sticking around. After that, who knows? I'm sure as hell not going to wait around, if it's obvious I'm going to croak anyway. I'd rather die happy (ish) than have my family watch me waste away.

JC
People give up over some shit that doesn't matter. Some people are termailly ill and are going to go anyway. Thats a bit different but..

They can give up if they want. Its their life.

Fleck750 said people should feel compassion for those that commit suicide. I can understand feeling compassion for them when they are dealing with life. But why feel bad for them after they commit suicide? They don't have those problems anymore.

James
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Old 07-09-2009, 12:51 AM   #57
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:

James
its all perspective, to them it was worse than cancer aids and all the other badness wrapped into one. Kinda like how some people have a big emotional blow up over a little thing and others just roll with it.

Just want to throw this one out there and see what you guys have to say or think about this one. How about a schizophrenic whos off his meds (for whatever reason) and kills himself either because the voices told him too or the voices/hallucinations drove him to the edge.

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #58
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIGGER View Post
I won't go into detail because I don't want to get into a "my pain is greater than yours" contest or even the slightest whiff of one... I'll just say this, I have had several traumatic things happen to me over the course of my life. I have often thought that it would be better to just cash it in and wave goodbye to this "cruel world" as it were. Just end it.... The thing is then the world would win, it would have beaten me. I can't allow that. I also won't take pills for several reasons but mainly because it's just a patch, a very temporary one at that. In my experience, these so called doctors give this medication far too easily but for good reasons at first. The patient has damn well sufficient reason to be depressed! The medication might be necessary at first. Unfortunately, once they are on this train it's next to impossible to get off.

For example, when she was 13, my ex-girlfriend was getting molested by the guy that ran the pool in their neighborhood. When she finally got up the courage to tell her parents, no one believed her. She had a problem telling lies and the man was a Deacon and a close friend of her father. So she started acting up, getting into trouble and became depressed. A doctor placed her on an anti-depressant and she is still on anti-depressants to this day 14 years later. She still has emotional problems AND now she is a drug addict to boot! I have seen heroin addicts, I have seen crack addicts, I have never seen someone freak out like I saw this girl freak out when she was even one day without her Lexipro! Wonderful. It's a pill for every problem isn't it? I just don't understand how our ancestors managed considering that they faced far greater challenges and hardships than we do without being on drugs.

I feel the same way. Life is a bitch but I can't be beat that easy. I lost my daughter so being broke or being stuck in traffic or something else stupid is just a cake walk.

I'm the same way with pills. When I was in the car accident I wouldn't take the pills after the first couple of days. Thats not a permanent fix. I told the doctors that I'm still in pain with the meds so why take them? I wanted my back fixed not the problem covered up.

James
Old 07-09-2009, 12:54 AM   #59
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck750 View Post
This planet can be a pretty crappy place. Most days it's a matter of survival for those of us that just get by. I guess I should have made better decisions in life that by age 45 that life would be peachy keen. House paid for, $50k a year, perfect hubby, college educated kids, enough money for whatever vacation I want to take, and enough for hobbies.

Hobbies must be the key, cause those are the things that keep reality at bay. Focusing on reality is what causes depression, because heredity, chemical imbalances, and in being poor certainly can't have anything to do with it.
Don't get me wrong Fleck, in most cases, I think suicide is only the answer, because you're asking the wrong question.

Yes, the world is indeed a crappy place. Things don't always go as planned, and people aren't as happy as they would like to be.

If living well is the best revenge, then living at all is a close second. Remember this, you can be just as poor at the beach, as you can in KC...

JC
Old 07-09-2009, 12:55 AM   #60
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:

JC

See but this is why I left Michigan. I was diagnosed with throat cancer in '06 and after a couple surgeries to remove the other tumors they decided that the one on my jugular has got to stay. It would have been easy to give up at that point, too easy. I watched my father waste away and die this way spitting blood as he drowned in it. I definitely don't want to go out like that. I also don't want to make other people watch me die that way either. I couldn't take the "coward's way out" so I took a different coward's way out and split. Cashed everything in, severed all ties and moved away. It was easier for everyone. I can go to my chemo sessions in peace and they can go on with their lives. If it magically goes away, then I'll possibly go back. If I die, they'll never even know. Win, win!

Besides, who knows maybe Bambi will finally get me!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote