Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 07-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #51
ericr
I'm so much cooler online

Moto: 06 FZ1

I was the shipping supervisor at a cold storage warehouse for a year. The loading dock in the middle of a GA summer was 40F, the warehouse was -20F and the blast freezer was -50F with a 60mph wind inside. I stayed sick with my sinuses the whole time I was there and had my first sinus surgery because of it. The worst part was walking around in bloody water from the loads of fresh chicken we brought in to blast freeze and having to be in the warehouse for any length of time, sometimes having to climb 30ft up in the racks to inventory or restack a pallet that fell or shifted. The forklift drivers had it the worst, they were in the warehouse most of the shift.

Oh, and it didn't pay enough to make you want to work there long.

Eric: ibu what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
but I'm perfectly placed when I'm on my knees . . . .
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:04 AM   #52
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

I had a couple of sucky jobs but they pale in comparison to a few posted here.

Cold storage warehouse which was pretty much like described above by ericr...except for the walking around in bloody waters part...everything was frozen where I was at.

Loading dock for Yellow Freight Trucking Co....unloading and loading tractor trailers for 12 hour shifts. I was considered "casual labor" and the full time guys were union which meant they could sit around on their fat azzes on the forklifts and you didn't get to use it because you weren't union and didn't have seniority so you had to make the best of it. I've hated unions ever since and that was over 20 years ago.

Colony Cany Co. a long time ago making candy which consisted of lugging 100 lb. bags of sugar up stairs all day and pouring them into vats of stuff and mixing it and then going back down to get another bag. I was in high school and only weighed 135 lbs. at the time.

I left there and joined the Marines...it was easier.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:21 PM   #53
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

worst was cleaning out a barn with a shovel and wheel barrow after the manure conveyor broke.

toughest job was working a pipeline in Tenn
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #54
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Loading dock for Yellow Freight Trucking Co....unloading and loading tractor trailers for 12 hour shifts. I was considered "casual labor" and the full time guys were union which meant they could sit around on their fat azzes on the forklifts and you didn't get to use it because you weren't union and didn't have seniority so you had to make the best of it. I've hated unions ever since and that was over 20 years ago.

Funny I used to drive a flatbed semi. I hated going to union shops because the fat asses on the forklifts would take their own sweet time loading you. usually they would put the lift on the truck then go take break.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:40 AM   #55
lauralynne
667:Neighbor of the Beast

Moto: VTR1000, SV650, FZR400, CRF150

not so bad after reading here:
shoveling cedar chips into a bailer and stacking the bales. Hard work - I was in kick ass shape though! Even with a respirator, I was blowing cedar snot for MONTHS! It was hot, it was dirty, the little tractor caught on fire more often than not, I was throwing bales 5 feet over my head (and each bale weighed 90-100 pounds!).
but the only job I would NEVER do again is making cotton candy at a local fair. I can't even type how bad that was. Stupid people, spun sugar everywhere, never again. Ever.

Married my best friend 8/30/09
lauralynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:51 AM   #56
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

I used to work as a mason but when I started I got stuck running the brick saw all day. I was covered in brick dust from head to toe and could build a house from the bricks I would pick out of my nose.
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #57
zed
yellow don't corner well

Moto: 06 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauralynne View Post
not so bad after reading here:
shoveling cedar chips into a bailer and stacking the bales. Hard work - I was in kick ass shape though! Even with a respirator, I was blowing cedar snot for MONTHS! It was hot, it was dirty, the little tractor caught on fire more often than not, I was throwing bales 5 feet over my head (and each bale weighed 90-100 pounds!).
but the only job I would NEVER do again is making cotton candy at a local fair. I can't even type how bad that was. Stupid people, spun sugar everywhere, never again. Ever.
one of the hardest jobs I've done on my body was loading a cardboard baler 8 hours a day. I'd wake up the next morning and couldn't open my hands. I'd have to get Tina to help move them to loosen them up. the work was crappy but the employer was great. after the first week working there, they started paying me through lunch. these bales were too big to throw.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:51 AM   #58
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
Funny I used to drive a flatbed semi. I hated going to union shops because the fat asses on the forklifts would take their own sweet time loading you. usually they would put the lift on the truck then go take break.
This was my impression and experience EXACTLY !! I'm sure all unions/union workers aren't the same I mean look at UPS...those guys bust azz but at Yellow Freight back in the 80's when I was there...the union guys sucked !!
Old 07-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #59
z06boy
Letzroll

Someone mentioned working at a gun range here and made me think of this guy's job sucking.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:59 AM   #60
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
This was my impression and experience EXACTLY !! I'm sure all unions/union workers aren't the same I mean look at UPS...those guys bust azz but at Yellow Freight back in the 80's when I was there...the union guys sucked !!
Now a days Unions are what's wrong with this country.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote