Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > Riding > Street

Old 01-15-2009, 07:43 AM   #51
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Awesome View Post
The problem is you don't have to be able to ride, or know anything about riding for that matter, to be an MSF instructor. The MSF is a joke, and it should not be assumed that just because someone is playing the role of teacher that they have any business being there. My MSF instructors were some of the worst riders I've seen to this day.
you must not hang out w/ many riders, or all your friends like you are riding gods........

maybe not

how many times you crashed ?, thread

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure. I think it's somewhere around 10 or 12.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.

Last edited by RACER X; 01-15-2009 at 07:50 AM..
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 10:25 AM   #52
NeonspeedRT
At Large

Moto: 2005 R1

Quote:
The problem is you don't have to be able to ride, or know anything about riding for that matter, to be an MSF instructor. The MSF is a joke, and it should not be assumed that just because someone is playing the role of teacher that they have any business being there. My MSF instructors were some of the worst riders I've seen to this day.
I hate to inform you, but you are very, very mistaken. Part of the qualifications to be a MSF rider coach is that you must be an active motorcycle rider and currently own a motorcycle. "Most" schools will want you to have several years of riding under your belt and those years consisting of alot of miles. Not just riding back and forth to bike night or being a weekend warrior.

Not to mention to be a rider coach, you must have completed the BRC MSF class and then have 60 to 120 hours of "range aiding". Basically being a cone kicker and learning how to set up the range, what goes where and observing the rider coaches. Seeing how they interact with all the students what they say and what they do. Seeing how things are done, what kind of questions they ask and how they deal with the different situations.

Once the range aiding is done there is an 8 day program to get certified to become a rider coach. During that 8 day program the rider coach candidates are observed and watched from every angle possible. The rider coach candidate has to basically do the whole BRC class again and complete the riding evaluation with a much better score then the normal student.

So there is alot of time and training that goes into becoming a MSF rider coach. Training will vary by state, but those are the basic guidelines. There is also the ongoing training and state updates that rider coaches are required to attend.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like you just chose a bad school to attend. Did you do any research about the school first? Maybe you went to class with the "I know it all and they can't teach me anything" attitude. I don't know you, so I can't say either way. But we have those kind of students come through all the time. If you have that attitude, you are already in shut down mode and will never learn anything.

I would highly reccomend taking the class again and see if you have a different experience. It can't hurt. It can only help you.

If your instructors were truly that bad, you should have filed a complaint with the MSF or the school itself. Did you contact the owner of the school to share your experiences?

"Riding a motorcycle is like playing chess. Anyone can learn the moves, but it takes a lifetime to master the game."

Last edited by NeonspeedRT; 01-15-2009 at 10:27 AM..
NeonspeedRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:05 AM   #53
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
you must not hang out w/ many riders, or all your friends like you are riding gods........

maybe not

how many times you crashed ?, thread
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #54
neebelung
Ornery, scandalous & evil

Moto: 2004 Scarlet R1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Is this one of those Trip-like arguments where you say stupid shit to stand ground on something you don't believe in just for the sake of arguing?
Pretty much. PoD likes to sprak discussion and controversy (nothing wrong with it, but it helps when you know that's his M.O. ).
neebelung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:30 AM   #55
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by neebelung View Post
Pretty much. PoD likes to sprak discussion and controversy (nothing wrong with it, but it helps when you know that's his M.O. ).
Well, there's nothing wrong with it except it's painfully stupid, but at least I know that's his MO now.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #56
The Awesome
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X View Post
how many times you crashed ?
Maybe my lack of riding ability stems from my poor MSF instruction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonspeedRT View Post
I hate to inform you, but you are very, very mistaken. Part of the qualifications to be a MSF rider coach is that you must be an active motorcycle rider and currently own a motorcycle.
"Buy a bike and ride it" is hardly what I would call a qualification. Every squid in the world bought a bike and rode it.

Quote:
Not to mention to be a rider coach, you must have completed the BRC MSF class and then have 60 to 120 hours of "range aiding".
So we've got "buy a bike", "ride it", and now "show up".

Quote:
Once the range aiding is done there is an 8 day program to get certified to become a rider coach.
"Buy a bike", "ride it", "show up", and finally "Come to class for a week". I guess the reason for the inadequacy is no secret. We desperately need real rider training in this country just like we need real driver training. The standards for everything are just so low it's a joke. We will continue to have streets full of squids and oblivious soccer moms until licensing becomes less about collecting money and more about properly educating.

I had the displeasure of riding later on with the group of instructors that taught my MSF, and even then I could see they were everything that embodies the stereotypical squid. They had absolutely no clue what to do on a motorcycle in any way, shape, or form. The "training" was just as bad.

As far as the material itself, there are quite a few points that I disagree with. I don't believe in the method of teaching something incorrectly to simplify it for a beginner, only to have to relearn it the correct way at a more advanced stage. A good example would be a statement to the effect of "never brake while turning" made in my MSF class. I realize this is aimed at street riding, and you'll rarely have to do this on the street, but wouldn't it be nice to at least know what trail braking is so when I go into a corner too hot one day I'll be equipped to handle it? Maybe this particular issue wasn't an MSF problem but an instructor problem, I don't know, but there were several things looking back that were very poorly taught in my class.

I would like to see civilians have to pass the IPTM course to get a license. That would weed out most of the people on the street right now, but at least the ones that are left would be able to handle a bike to some degree of competency. The MSF is a good idea that is poorly executed.
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #57
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

It's a basic coursed designed for non riders to get started. If you expected to be a racer when you were done, you should have taken a race school. They do have those out there.
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #58
The Awesome
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
It's a basic coursed designed for non riders to get started.
Yes it is, and it does a poor job of that in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
If you expected to be a racer when you were done, you should have taken a race school. They do have those out there.
Who's talking about racing?
The Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #59
RACER X
AMA Supersport

Moto: '10 Tuono Factory

well i guess the ol addage

you can't please all the people all the time

would be perfect.
2009 SFV Gladius - SOLD
2008 Hayabusa - SOLD.
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #60
pickle.of.doom
el diablo de verde

Moto: VTR, CBR, DRZSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
Well, there's nothing wrong with it except it's painfully stupid, but at least I know that's his MO now.
Excuse me if I don't jump on your bandwagon there line-boy, I think for myself.

WOS Forums
pickle.of.doom is offline   Reply With Quote