Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 08-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #51
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

BTW here's a newsflash for you, for the last 30 years or so all companies have been going to more automation and less people. it's a growing trend.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #52
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildchild View Post
actually an interesting thought occurred to me. if HD builds outside of USA and sells here, we all agree their sales in America will basically dry up. so what would happen to sales of Japanese copies of HD. I truly think those would go away as well.
most of HD's sales go to people who don't really ride. they enjoy the "image" of a Harley. Yes most of us here with HDs ride them. that's why we are on a motorcycle site to start with. we like to ride. the sales of Japanese cruisers go to guys who want to look like Harley guys without dropping the coin. So would anyone want to ride Japanese cruisers if they weren't trying to look like HD's? I had a Shadow for a year. I wouldn't buy another one for anything. The HD I have now is a much better bike then that.
If I weren't on the HD right now I would either be back on a SS or try a BMW for a change. Guzzi is looking interesting as well.
If I was looking for a standard a guzzi or sportclassic would be very tempting
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #53
KSGregman
Get Fit...or Get OUT

Moto: 07 M109-R

Quote:
the sales of Japanese cruisers go to guys who want to look like Harley guys without dropping the coin. So would anyone want to ride Japanese cruisers if they weren't trying to look like HD's?
I can't speak for everyone who rides a metric cruiser or power cruiser...but for myself, this is a laughable load of shit.

When I buy a motorcycle, I try to obtain the maximum amount of power, performance and style (for lack of a better word) available at a price I'm willing to pay.

Currently I ride a 2007 Suzuki M109-R. It has more power, more performance and better style (subjective, I know) than anything HD offers (other than the Nightrod which is probably on fairly even footing) and for about half the price.

Harley guys seem to hold on to the higher price point as a shield to fend off the inevitable "Uh...dude....that bike MIGHT make 80-90 HP....and it's like 100 pounds overweight" comments. I see it time after time at the Cassoday rally....the Harley goes on the dyno...and the owner slinks off in embarrassment when they give the horsepower and torque output over the PA.

In my opinion, a more appropriate question might be why would anyone ride a HD knowing there are far more capable motorcycles available at much more attractive prices....other than maybe they care less about "riding" and more about "posing?"
KSGregman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #54
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSGregman View Post
I can't speak for everyone who rides a metric cruiser or power cruiser...but for myself, this is a laughable load of shit.

When I buy a motorcycle, I try to obtain the maximum amount of power, performance and style (for lack of a better word) available at a price I'm willing to pay.

Currently I ride a 2007 Suzuki M109-R. It has more power, more performance and better style (subjective, I know) than anything HD offers (other than the Nightrod which is probably on fairly even footing) and for about half the price.

Harley guys seem to hold on to the higher price point as a shield to fend off the inevitable "Uh...dude....that bike MIGHT make 80-90 HP....and it's like 100 pounds overweight" comments. I see it time after time at the Cassoday rally....the Harley goes on the dyno...and the owner slinks off in embarrassment when they give the horsepower and torque output over the PA.

In my opinion, a more appropriate question might be why would anyone ride a HD knowing there are far more capable motorcycles available at much more attractive prices....other than maybe they care less about "riding" and more about "posing?"

the M109 I would barely consider a harleyesque cruiser. (meant as compliment) it is more like VTX and such. they are as you pointed out better. a different breed.
i was refering to bikes like honda shadow, yamaha stars, etc. they are almost direct copies in every way.
BTW my price point was less then a Honda shadow 1100.
Harley's aren't as expensive as they used to be. people just don't always know that yet.
just picked up an 883 sportster for my GF and for the price I paid I could possibly get a 750 Shadow.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #55
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpuppy View Post
think what you want i know who is building their plant in india right now and like i said i have the exact address in india of said plant.. so try to tell me i don't know the facts.. and they are building a new plant in the U.S. with more automation = less people.. so i am not "kind of right about india".. yes they have used the whole we are building bikes to sell in india bs to spin it but its bullshit.. they are already using off shore parts for their bikes.. HD is a spin master.. believe what you want..
Relax, I never said you didn't know the facts. I wrote that what I was posting was my opinion and not fact. It didnt' refer to your post at all. In my opinion Harley building motorcycles overseas that are meant for the American market makes no sense. That doesn't mean they won't do it, just that, again in my opinion, it would be stupid of them to do so.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:03 PM   #56
goof2
AMA Supersport

Quote:
actually an interesting thought occurred to me. if HD builds outside of USA and sells here, we all agree their sales in America will basically dry up. so what would happen to sales of Japanese copies of HD. I truly think those would go away as well.
most of HD's sales go to people who don't really ride. they enjoy the "image" of a Harley. Yes most of us here with HDs ride them. that's why we are on a motorcycle site to start with. we like to ride. the sales of Japanese cruisers go to guys who want to look like Harley guys without dropping the coin. So would anyone want to ride Japanese cruisers if they weren't trying to look like HD's? I had a Shadow for a year. I wouldn't buy another one for anything. The HD I have now is a much better bike then that.
If I weren't on the HD right now I would either be back on a SS or try a BMW for a change. Guzzi is looking interesting as well.
I doubt all cruiser sales would dry up. I actually think Japanese cruiser sales would increase. I have started to become more interested in touring cruisers myself. I'm not going to be in a position financially to buy one anytime soon but I have been curious about the segment. If I were in the market for one though there is no way in hell I would buy a Harley.

There are a few reasons, but an important one is I specifically don't want to be associated with the "image" you are referring to. Another issue is, because of that image, I'm required to pay a premium for what I feel is a lesser motorcycle. I see no reason to get a Road King Classic when I can get a more powerful and I think much better looking Yamaha/Star Stratoliner and have money left over. The Yamaha/Star also has the bonus feature of repelling the old hags with pancake tits and a leather fetish.
goof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #57
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by goof2 View Post
I doubt all cruiser sales would dry up. I actually think Japanese cruiser sales would increase. I have started to become more interested in touring cruisers myself. I'm not going to be in a position financially to buy one anytime soon but I have been curious about the segment. If I were in the market for one though there is no way in hell I would buy a Harley.

There are a few reasons, but an important one is I specifically don't want to be associated with the "image" you are referring to. Another issue is, because of that image, I'm required to pay a premium for what I feel is a lesser motorcycle. I see no reason to get a Road King Classic when I can get a more powerful and I think much better looking Yamaha/Star Stratoliner and have money left over. The Yamaha/Star also has the bonus feature of repelling the old hags with pancake tits and a leather fetish.

that was exactly what I was wondering about. buddy of mine had the venture royal and loved it. another buddy has the warrior and it is awesome!! Love that bike.
I will admit I hate the "image" thing. I actually stopped riding HD for a number of years because of it. now I just avoid the ones who think HD is the only bike made yada yada you know the ones.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #58
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
We could use some more jobs in MI. Send them over.
I think HD would put their manufacturing operations in Afganistan before they'd put it in Michigan. Which I'd fully support.

I don't see HD moving overseas but I could see HD moving away from the North or other strong union areas. If I was HD I'd probably try to set shop up in SD near Sturgis to kind of keep that Harley nostalgia. But if not there somewhere in the South would be the best choice.

I did go to Wisconsin in late June to check out Summerfest in Milwuakee and I have to say that city seemed pretty cool. Granted I was only in the touristy area but enjoyed walking through the city. I'd love to do those bar hoping boats. But once I left that area I could tell that the town was probably a shit hole. But still it had a very cool vibe to it. Atlanta doesn't have anything really worth noting.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 PM   #59
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
the ones i like are the "i'll only ride bitch on a harley". they won't ride on anything else. alwayss tempting to take 'em out in country somewhere and drop 'em off. then have one of my buddies ride up on their metric bike and see if she'd ride anything else then. LOL
Would they even know the difference, without seeing the badge?
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:50 PM   #60
wildchild
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
Would they even know the difference, without seeing the badge?
dude don't you know, if it's loud and the guy wears an HD shirt then it must be a harley. LOL