Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > News Desk

Old 11-06-2009, 05:24 PM   #1
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2000 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie61984 View Post
He (the guy pulled over) had a gun (a real one) pointed at his head. I'm no language expert but I think a gun being pointed at a head is international language for "do the fuck as I say". If it was a bank robber holding a gun to him and asking for his money in Latin, that dumbasses wallet would be out with the 20/10/5/1s seperated in decending order and on his knees ready to give a blow job to him.

He was wanting to be "big and bad" in front of that cop and got tasered. Infact I wanted to taser the cop after hearing 2 minutes of "Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head. Turn around, put your hands on your head."

Deserved 100%. 20 years ago he would have had his ass beat by the 2nd "turn around"
And 40 years ago the KKK was murdering blacks in the south and being acquitted by all-white juries, shall we go back to those times as well. I bet some of those people resisted before the local cops/KKK members killed them.

Extreme example? Sure it is, but it is why we can not give police absolute power.

Somewhere there is a video that I couldn't find of a State Trooper writing a guy a speeding ticket while the guy screams and cusses every name in the book at the Trooper. The man tears the ticket up and throws it out the window at which point the Trooper tells him to pick it up or get fined for littering, which the guy does...but in an aggressive manner. This Trooper is extremely calm, does not yell, does not bark and treats the deranged motorist with respect and courtesy despite the man's behavior. Trooper doesn't even taser or beat him when he exits the vehicle to pick up said ticket.

The Officer in the video posted here is obviously fearful and agitated from the moment he opened his car door. That is a problem. Again, officers have to be tactful, calm and resourceful enough to diffuse adverse situations without violence. Allowing them to tase everyone that does not immediately comply with the orders they bark out puts us closer to a police state mentality.
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Kaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 02:11 AM   #2
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

One thing we do not know is why was he being pulled over in the first place. His car may have matched that of a stolen car or of a get away car or who knows. Maybe the cop had a reason to be cautious of this guy.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:16 AM   #3
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

What action was warranted is obviously up for debate..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
What action was warranted is obviously up for debate..
Seems to me that it's well within policy. He was failing to comply. He was acting in an irrational manner. It was unknown whether he was armed or not. He had approached the officer. Once backup arrived and there were sufficient officers on hand to subdue him, they did.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
HokieDNA01
WERA White Plate

Moto: 2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750

Sir, I am officer _ _ _ _ of the _ _ _ _ police department, you are being pulled over for (rape, car theft, murder, drug dealing, sodomy etc) , please remain in your vehicle at this time."

Seems like a good way to get someone to act out or run. I have NEVER been told of my offense (although I usually know) until AFTER the cop has checked my record for warrents etc.

2014 Honda NC700X
2007 Suzuki GSX-r 750
2000 Yamaha XT225
2004 Kawasaki EX250 (sold)
HokieDNA01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #6
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieDNA01 View Post
Sir, I am officer _ _ _ _ of the _ _ _ _ police department, you are being pulled over for (rape, car theft, murder, drug dealing, sodomy etc) , please remain in your vehicle at this time."

Seems like a good way to get someone to act out or run. I have NEVER been told of my offense (although I usually know) until AFTER the cop has checked my record for warrents etc.
This was not a felony stop and I'm not suggesting that Police Officers change the way they conduct a felony stop as that is a different situation. My point is that when dealing with members of the general public more courtesy and less rudeness is warranted and flat out the right thing to do.

I am also not suggesting that Officers lower their sense of awareness or willingness to act with sudden and violent/deadly force to imminent threats. They certainly have the right to defend themselves in the course of doing their jobs. This is about diffusing a potentially dangerous/violent situation, something that even any average martial artist knows how to do and should be standard behavior for any Police Officer who respects his own life. Screaming the same order over and over again will not accomplish this goal. But then, they have Tasers so why should they be bothered to learn how to deal with the public right? That is my point.

Again, based on the video I've seen it is apparent the cop was fearful right off the bat. If conducting a standard nighttime traffic stop scares you then find a different job, this one is not for you.

*If I am wrong and this was indeed a felony traffic stop then obviously none of what I said applies to this specific case however it does apply to many officers that are out there*
1982 Honda XR80 - blown motor, 1993 Kawasaki ZX6D - sold, 2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S - sold, 1984 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Kawasaki ZRX1200R - blown motor, 2007 Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - totalled, 2003 Yamaha FZ1 - sold, 1994 Honda Magna - sold, 2001 Honda CBR600F4i - sold, 1998 Suzuki DR350 - stolen, 1989 Honda Super Magna - sold, 2007 Yamaha Stratoliner, 2000 Honda CBR 1100XX Blackbird
Old 11-06-2009, 01:22 PM   #7
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneman View Post
This was not a felony stop and I'm not suggesting that Police Officers change the way they conduct a felony stop as that is a different situation. My point is that when dealing with members of the general public more courtesy and less rudeness is warranted and flat out the right thing to do.

I am also not suggesting that Officers lower their sense of awareness or willingness to act with sudden and violent/deadly force to imminent threats. They certainly have the right to defend themselves in the course of doing their jobs. This is about diffusing a potentially dangerous/violent situation, something that even any average martial artist knows how to do and should be standard behavior for any Police Officer who respects his own life. Screaming the same order over and over again will not accomplish this goal. But then, they have Tasers so why should they be bothered to learn how to deal with the public right? That is my point.

Again, based on the video I've seen it is apparent the cop was fearful right off the bat. If conducting a standard nighttime traffic stop scares you then find a different job, this one is not for you.

*If I am wrong and this was indeed a felony traffic stop then obviously none of what I said applies to this specific case however it does apply to many officers that are out there*
OK, I see the problem. ANY traffic stop is potentially a felony traffic stop and police have to treat it that way, or they go home in a body bag.

Guy gets out of car and stays out, when told to get back in. Guy approaches cop while ignoring more orders to stop, and return to his vehicle. Before the advent of Tasers we'd have been wondering if this was a good SHOOTING instead.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:03 PM   #8
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
OK, I see the problem. ANY traffic stop is potentially a felony traffic stop and police have to treat it that way, or they go home in a body bag.

Guy gets out of car and stays out, when told to get back in. Guy approaches cop while ignoring more orders to stop, and return to his vehicle. Before the advent of Tasers we'd have been wondering if this was a good SHOOTING instead.
We almost did.

The cop in question had his gun drawn. He mentioned it @ the 30 second mark, iirc. He did not taser the guy. The suspect asked multiple times if the cop was going to shoot him.

The guy was tasered by the back up officers that arrived.

He was obviously not enough of a threat to shoot. He had three minutes to pull the trigger and didnt.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #9
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Then if he'd have begun to approach within arms' length, he'd have been shot. A lone officer isn't going to trust in a Taser.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:03 PM   #10
Kaneman
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
Then if he'd have begun to approach within arms' length, he'd have been shot. A lone officer isn't going to trust in a Taser.
When did Police Officers begin using deadly force against unarmed drunks? I don't recall this being the norm...in fact, I believe that is exactly what non-lethal force is for. Fists, Billy clubs, pepper spray and yes even tasers. A firearm is not a police officer's first line of defense, it is their last.