Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 11-05-2009, 01:18 AM   #51
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
I think we have a different definition of "character".

To me somebody who has built character has realized that life is hard, and sometimes you just have to lower your head and keep plowing on through till you reach the other side.

A man with character can eat his shit sandwich and joke about the stale bread.

Somebody bitching 10 years later about how rude people sucked and only gave them 20% for doing 10 minutes of actual work hasn't built any character from doing it. They've just added experience to their life. This is, of course, just another man's opinion..
My idea of building character was making the most of a job that probably sucked. I could have probably summed that up a little better in my earlier posts...

Last edited by Riceaholic; 11-05-2009 at 01:20 AM..
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:06 AM   #52
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riceaholic View Post
My idea of building character was making the most of a job that probably sucked. I could have probably summed that up a little better in my earlier posts...
you don't have to be waiting tables to be in a job that sucks...
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:18 AM   #53
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by TYEster View Post
I bet this hasn't been addressed yet...

#Whatever - When a customer is CLEARLY eating, has food in their mouth, or is in other words enjoying the food - DON'T ASK QUESTIONS to which the customer will have to respond while trying to enjoy the food. "How is the food?" is ONLY acceptable if the customer is not eating, sitting without touching the food, plate or beverage, or is waving you down because something's fucked up.

I am tired of having to respond when I clearly DONT have a problem with my food. Even when I'm picky, it's obvious and I make life easy for the wait staff.
*this falls under the "dumb questions" thread too. Why WHY do they always ask when I'm in the middle of a mouthful of food? I would respond with words but I was taught manners. So instead I just sit there till I'm done. Annoying? Hmm maybe someone should have some better timing and customer service.
I just give them a with a not so pleased look so they know to go away. I am good at getting people to go away.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #54
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsunami View Post
you don't have to be waiting tables to be in a job that sucks...
Nope.

Just like you don't have to be a lumberjack to build character.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:06 AM   #55
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

You definitely don't.

But, being a cashier builds character, being a gas station attendant builds character, being on welfare builds character.

To what extent? You brought me my food and didn't spit in it, congratulations you're building character..
Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #56
CrazyKell
Vrooom

Moto: 06 ZX6R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmall View Post
You definitely don't.

But, being a cashier builds character, being a gas station attendant builds character, being on welfare builds character.

To what extent? You brought me my food and didn't spit in it, congratulations you're building character..
Arguable in the same way that someone could say "you cut a tree down and didn't die. Congratulations you're building character".

The character building comes from persevering through things whether they be easy or hard. Everything teaches you something.
CrazyKell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #57
unknownroad
Guys... where *are* we?

Moto: SV650 Interstate, CX500 rat-bobber, whatever else runs.

Quote:
Well fuck your character then
Old 11-05-2009, 03:01 PM   #58
Riceaholic
High Life Drinker

Moto: 01 GSXR 1000 - Yamaha Zuma 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknownroad View Post
Well fuck your character then
For real...
Riceaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:15 PM   #59
the chi
Forum Coach

Moto: 2006 GSXR 600

Quote:
I've been a bartender/ server/manager most of my life and what kills me is that every item on that list should be common sense. If you aren't bright enough to have any one of these things occur to you without being told, you should be stocking shelves somewhere...
Amen, and this applies to many jobs throughout the spectrum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amorok View Post
I've been a waiter. It was a shit job that I didn't enjoy and I did it to pay bills. No one at any of my tables knew that. I wrote your order down on a pad and kept your order in my pocket as long as you were there. Before I came to your table I looked at my list so I knew what your order was, and if there were questions I was ready. If your order was wrong I went to the kitchen and made it right, and the last thing you heard from me was "Thank you for visiting us, please come back soon!" I made sure to treat your meal as an important event, because as far as I knew it was your anniversary. I got great toips and was requested by repeat customers and the other waiters wondered why. It isn't a particularly difficult job nor is it physically demanding. People should have a modicum of preofessionalism and there wouldn't be problems with service.
Sounds like you went about it exactly as necessary. I did the same when I did it. Second job, at night, after working all day and being tired as hell. Did a bartending gig too, spent all day and all night working. Tell me being on your feet 24 hours straight doesnt build character (and a huge crash after).

I may hate what I am doing, but there is no way that my customers need to know about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
I just give them a with a not so pleased look so they know to go away. I am good at getting people to go away.

Me too! Glad Im not the only one. I really hate it when they keep coming back time after time, apparently they dont have enough to do.
and let it be known that what The Chi hath spoketh, will henceforth be done.
the chi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:54 PM   #60
Tsunami
Pug Queen

Moto: DR200, SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneHeather View Post
I have to try that next time. If I am at the restaurant i am either shoving food in my mouth or talking. While I appreciate the attentiveness vs having to ask for water when my glass has been empty for a while, I rather you just be seen, catch my eye and be perceptive enough not to come over unneccesarily.
Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote