Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 12-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #51
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
He does when he can. He always does a highlight of our local big 2-day event and a few others. But again, he has to film in the morning, then hightail it back to the station to edit it and get it on the air that evening while the rest of us are out riding.

I didn't even mention football season. That poor guy is tied up pretty much every night for months during that.
Yep, been there. Life in local TV news. I dont miss that shit at ALL. This was the first Thanksgiving I've had off since I was in college. I like having a life outside of TV. When you're in the biz Management thinks your entire fucking life is between the 4 walls of the station.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #52
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko138 View Post
Yep, been there. Life in local TV news. I dont miss that shit at ALL. This was the first Thanksgiving I've had off since I was in college. I like having a life outside of TV. When you're in the biz Management thinks your entire fucking life is between the 4 walls of the station.
I would pay to see you on tv going off on a profanity laced sports rant

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:17 PM   #53
Rider
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post

Tom
$&^%&(^(^*(&*&*)@!#$% Raiders!

&#^@&)(*%$^(()*&^%$%*^%#@^ Raiders

@$#@!!#$% Raiders &^%%$#&())$@!$$!

I'm marko138,

Good night
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:25 PM   #54
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill View Post
The ONLY reason I work is so I can do the things I enjoy.

My Stepdad has been bugging me for years to come take over his business. He works sun-up to sun-down and then some 7 days a week. If that's what it takes to make his business run, I'm not so sure I want to do it . . . and I still keep refusing his offer.
There is the other prob. While both jobs pay the bills, the tech job would not allow a lot of "disposable" income to do the things I enjoy, so I would probably end up getting a second job to be able to have "fun" money.

Farming would give me some disposable income, but not as much time (that I want free) to be able to spend it.

Battle of 2 evils... just have to figure out which one is the lesser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
Again... Cutty you are one smart man!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chi View Post
If I have to get help to get it back up, I dont need to be riding it.

3662 Supply NCO

Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:54 PM   #55
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post

Tom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
$&^%&(^(^*(&*&*)@!#$% Raiders!

&#^@&)(*%$^(()*&^%$%*^%#@^ Raiders

@$#@!!#$% Raiders &^%%$#&())$@!$$!

I'm marko138,

Good night
That, boys, is what makes the holiday blooper reel.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #56
OneSickPsycho
Ride Like an Asshole

Moto: nothing...

My Job...

Pros:

No day is the same, something ALWAYS comes up out of the blue so it's exciting and very challenging.

I love my staff. Despite some of their shortcomings, we all get along great and they are all tireless workers.

Stability... we aren't going anywhere.

I have a lot of responsibility.

Cons:

The money sucks. A couple of months ago I interviewed for a position in another company with a similar heirarchy. They started people 2-3 positions below where I am at $9k more per year than I make... without bonuses. With bonuses it closes that gap, but is STILL considerably more take home pay than in my current job, plus a ton less responsibility, and more room for advancement.

My boss sucks. He gets in my way more than he helps me. He rides me about communication and time/task management (both of which I am good, but not great with), but he's absolutely terrible with both. And... to make it worse, he calls me into his office for something small and retarded, but instead of just telling me I have to sit there while he makes 10 phone calls. Then 20 minutes later, he tells me something that would have taken 10 seconds... and then he bitches when I fall behind on my agenda (that he receives, ignores, and constantly interrupts with BS). He lies too.... oh, and he has terrible breath.

The job requires more than what's possible for the staff. I can cover all of my bases, but my staff is either 1) new 2) just inexperienced or 3) not capable of completing everything that I assign to them. Again, my staff is amazing, but I know going into every week that there's always going to be several things they are not going to be able to complete on a weekly basis. It sucks because I always am setting them up for failure. And, their pay sucks too... which is why some of the staff is new, inexperienced, etc.

I have a lot of responsibility. Pro and a Con. I like being in control of my own destiny, but the stress, long hours, and lack of compensation wear very thin on me. It's tough out in the job market right now, but even so I KNOW for a fact that I am over-worked and under paid. It's wearing thin on me.

So.... Do I like my job?

Less and less every day.
OneSickPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #57
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

To add to what I posted earlier, I previously had a job that paid 2k less than my current job, salary-wise. With bonuses, I would typically make a bit more than I'm making now with my current salary. However, I get tax-free travel pay at my new job, anywhere from 200 to 500 a month, depends where all my cases are located. Anyway, the old job was 3 12 hour days, but with a 1.5 hour drive one way. Considering wake up, get ready and then wind down, go to bed time, I was looking at a 16-17 hour day on those 3 days.

But, the job was absolute cake. Had to deal with pissed off people from time to time, but compared to what I do now, I was probably getting paid more at the other job. On the flip side, the 3 day job was so painfully boring most days that I hated it. Thankfully, I had a great manager that tried to make work fun.

While I got more quality time with my daughter at the other job, I no social life because I worked Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Couldn't go out Friday night cause I had to get up before 5am to drive to work Saturday. By the time Sat night rolled around, I was already tired, especially knowing I had to get up before 5am Sunday. By the time Tuesday arrived, I was ready to sleep in till noon. I would pick my daughter up Tuesday afternoon and have her full time till Friday evening, which was nice, but left no real time for me.

Also, there was zero room for advancement at that job. Sure, I could have been a manager, but why? Managers were flat salary with little to no bonus. I could make more as a worker bee if I could put in just a little overtime and pull in a good bonus. But bonuses started drying up and the cost of gas was starting to eat me alive, even at 30 MPG. They would also put me on special teams, but those teams simply required more difficult work, with no extra pay. Thank you sir, may I have another.

All that being said, if I could have the same job, but with a 5 minute commute, I'd take it over this (as things are right now), but only because of the 3-day workweek. However, from what I understand, I can go "flexi-place" and "flexi-schedule" after I've been at this new job for a year. I may very well go to 4 10-hour days, Mon-Thurs. I think that would give me the best of both worlds as I get a lot of Monday holidays. Also, working from home would be SWEET. I wouldn't have to get dressed up to go into the office and could roll out of bed when I needed to and work when I needed to. We'll see how it all goes.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:06 PM   #58
Tmall
Aspiring Rapper

Moto: '12 CB1000R

Pro of my job? Making as much money as 101lifts2 for being an "oil dipper" and having no student debt.

Tmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:48 PM   #59
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Lee said it best with having mixed feelings. Ever since Erik was let go last year I care less about going to work. I go because I need to. He doesn't work and one of us to be the insurance and stable income.
We are getting more policy changes from our parent company and the changes suck. More people are going to leave. It is a given. We are numbers instead of people anymore. Since our owner decided to get more greedy.
I'm in the automotive industry so if it tanks again, which wouldn't surprise me, more people will be let go.
I've very much looking forward to the 2 week shut down we have in a couple weeks. Then I can start the new year dreading that I have to wait an entire year for another 2 week shutdown.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #60
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

I'm lucky, I bar tend and teach at university, learn'em on the am, get'em fucked up at night

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote