Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 05-25-2010, 10:32 PM   #51
EpyonXero
AMA Supersport

Moto: 2003 VFR800f6

I like the show. The finale was good but not great, but when was the last time a good, long running series had a finale that seemed to be "right"? Sopranos? Seinfeld? X-Files?

Im not sure you can end a show properly unless you have your finale in mind before you even start.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:41 PM   #52
HurricaneHeather
AMA Supersport

Moto: '98 Honda Fireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
Which proves why we dont see many well written, serial dramas on American TV. People dont want to pay attention to the story line or get involved in character development. They want easy to grasp/shallow characters with one line jokes and bright colors in easy to swallow 30 minute doses.

Sorry, but my motto is: I don't need reality tv, I have my own life and I don't need to watch drama because I have enough of my own in real life.

TV is just not that important to me.

I think that I am in the minority when it comes to this kind of thing. I could be wrong.
HurricaneHeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:24 PM   #53
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_Complex View Post
They lost me about a season and a half back. I couldn't be bothered to figure out what night it was going to be on, THAT week, and simply lost interest.

I do agree with you regarding shows that know where they are going from the beginning. 'Flash Forward' seems to be one of those. 'Babylon 5' knew where it was going, from day 1, and stayed the course despite having their soap opera quality cast members start asking for more money than the producers could pay. 'Lost' writers got all into a panic when they were cancelled, shortened the storyline, then had to recover when they got an additional season.
Flash forward changed direction 2 times in the first season with different writing and directing staff, they had no clue where they were going with that show, and it doesnt matter because they only got this one season there is no next season for them. Babylon 5 was similar but they did a much better job at fixing any issues they had after the first season.
derf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #54
marko138
DefenderOfTheBuelliverse

Moto: Buell XB12R

24's finale was a little weak too.

Quote:
Grandma said she doesn't want you here when she gets back because you've been ruining everybody's lives and eating all our steak.
marko138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 AM   #55
Papa_Complex
Nomadic Tribesman

Moto: '09 ER-6n

Quote:
Originally Posted by derf View Post
Flash forward changed direction 2 times in the first season with different writing and directing staff, they had no clue where they were going with that show, and it doesnt matter because they only got this one season there is no next season for them. Babylon 5 was similar but they did a much better job at fixing any issues they had after the first season.
Interesting. I took the direction changes to be plot twists, since they seemed to mesh fairly well. Far better that M. Night "What a Twist!" Shyamalan's stuff.

http://www.morallyambiguous.net/
Papa_Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:10 PM   #56
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Moto: '09 Triumph Speed Triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpyonXero View Post
I like the show. The finale was good but not great, but when was the last time a good, long running series had a finale that seemed to be "right"? Sopranos? Seinfeld? X-Files?

Im not sure you can end a show properly unless you have your finale in mind before you even start.
I agree. I don't always want to watch something where everything is laid out for me - sometimes I enjoy using my imagination to answer the questions.
LeeNetworX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #57
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
no, they had a sideways flash theme this season to an alternate reality that was a what if the island was at the bottom of the ocean and no one was impacted by it. It turned out they were already dead in this reality and it was a kinda of purgatory until they all died and met up and reminded each other of their time on the island and then most of them passed over to the other side.

I thought that concept was neat as well. What pissed me off is you never found out the purpose of the island or the egyptian shit there. If it was a cork to prevent the darkness from getting off the island, what about before smoke man came to be before jacob threw him into the hole. There was no darkness there before that... It never really explained shit about the island, it was clusterfuck of randomness with no explanation.
"The Cork" wasn't there to prevent the darkness (the spirit of Jacob's unnamed brother) from getting off the island, that job was up to Jacob and the candidates. It's obvious that the "cork room" was fashioned by someone, probably the Egyptians or Mayans that visited the island or an even earlier civiliazation. It seemed to me that the whole system of the water and channels and regulator (not a cork, it didn't completely block the hold) and whatnot was created to regulate or harness the earth energy (or spiritual energy) flowing throughout the island.

When Desmond removed the regulator, the energy/power of the island was disrupted/off - this is why not-Locke was vulnerable and why he was "killed with one shot" even though the shot didn't kill him, the fall off the cliff did. I don't see why this is so hard to grasp. But this is all my interpretation.

So how is it better if the writers were to come out and say everything? No matter how many answers you get, you'll still be like a 4 year old asking why the sky is blue and gets and answer and then asks 'why?' again.

Last edited by LeeNetworX; 05-26-2010 at 12:24 PM..
Old 05-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #58
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeNetworX View Post
"The Cork" wasn't there to prevent the darkness (the spirit of Jacob's unnamed brother) from getting off the island, that job was up to Jacob and the candidates.
Did you miss the episode where Jacob tells Richard about the cork and the wine? Jacob didn't keep his brother on the island, he was there to keep the cork room safe. His brother couldn't leave because of the island's power. Jacob was there to protect the island.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:27 PM   #59
LeeNetworX
SFL Expatriate #1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Did you miss the episode where Jacob tells Richard about the cork and the wine? Jacob didn't keep his brother on the island, he was there to keep the cork room safe. His brother couldn't leave because of the island's power. Jacob was there to protect the island.
When was that? This season? I may have missed that scene - I don't recall that. Damnit, now I need to find that episode online and see what I missed.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #60
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

That was one of the last episodes of this season where they go through the history of Richard. A lot of the protection stuff of the island goes back to the episode where Jacob turns his brother into the smoke monster.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote