Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Cage Hell

Old 08-01-2010, 05:29 PM   #51
fasternyou929
SFL Expatriate #2

Moto: CBR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerscott View Post
You started this thread to ask if the bikes could be hauled "in" a vehicle. You never said anything about a trailer or desert.
So the 2-3 times he's repeated it in the thread don't count?

As for using the Bronco, it's definitely possible if you can live with the issues you've already covered. I had the same issues when I carried everything in the bed of my truck before I started towing a small building to all the track days:

1. Security. As you mentioned already i't's not just the Bronco and bike, it's all the heavy stuff you don't want to bring into the hotel like your tools, air comp., etc. No sense unloading at a hotel only to start reloading again at about 5am to get to the track by 6:30.

2. Protection from the elements (probably not as big a concern in Cali, but rain is always a threat in NC summers)

3. Peace of mind. I sleep noticeably better knowing my stuff is locked up and secure and no longer have to beg the hotels to let me park under the covered loading/unloading areas.

If you can get around that stuff and make your peace with the risks, it would be a sweet way to get to and from the track.
fasternyou929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:20 AM   #52
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyHotWheel View Post
Snag a 2002 avalanche, loaded, 4x4 for around $10,000. Perfect.
I have an 03 Avalanche, I even posted pictures in this very thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasternyou929 View Post
So *snip*
Thanks. I'm considering it. I really want an 09+ Ram, but I hate depreciating assets and I like fixing up oldish cars. Maybe I'll buy both LOL
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:55 AM   #53
TommyHotWheel
Imported from Detroit

Moto: 2001 Suzuki TL1000R

I dont get why you are lookin for a different vehicle? It would be harder to load a bike into a Bronco unless you chop it up and dump it to the weeds, thus losing the ability to take it to the desert. You would have to take the top off, losing security and if you already have a truck it would be the same as wasting parking space with a trailer. No matter what you buy, someone can break in and take or vandalize your stuff so saying its more secure is just a pipe dream(I had my shit busted up on my porch). Why not get a cap for the 'Lanche? A Jeep Scrambler with a full hard top? Or if you need to buy something, look at a used Centurian Conversion Bronco...A Bronco on a F250 chassis lengthened and 4 wheel drive. Buy an old Suburban and hack the back off and put a Blazer 'glass top on it, but the same problem is always gonna be height(not easy to load) and security. You say you need a change, but dont want to buy new because of the depreciation...any old truck you buy and fix is never gonna get the money back either. Use the money you were gonna spend on a different vehicle and update/upgrade the Avalanche, redo the interior and paint it, make it something different.

Cry Havok! And let slip the hogs of war!
TommyHotWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:07 PM   #54
Flexin
AMA Supersport

If its for a dirt bike, what about a hitch mounted bike carrier? Add that to any 4wd that can habdle the class hitch needed for the bike and your set.

James
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:16 PM   #55
shmike
Follower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin View Post
If its for a dirt bike, what about a hitch mounted bike carrier? Add that to any 4wd that can habdle the class hitch needed for the bike and your set.

James
That's a great idea!

Those aren't exclusive to dirtbikes.

You can use a hitch carrier for the 675, and keep all the gear and tools in the Bronco with the top on.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:23 PM   #56
Sean
giggity

Moto: street, sumo & dirty

I had a Moto-Tote for a while and I never trusted the thing. I hit some bumps when I exited the freeway and the thing would just go flying around.
Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:03 PM   #57
Flexin
AMA Supersport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I had a Moto-Tote for a while and I never trusted the thing. I hit some bumps when I exited the freeway and the thing would just go flying around.
Flying around how? That would seem like a perfect solution to your problem?

How hard is it to get into the desert riding spot. I know you don't want a trailer but what about one of those folding trailers?

James
"Round two, I'm down to Do, what it takes to make you
Understand I'm the Candyman And I melt in your mouth, not in your hands Hard as rock, yes I'm no sucka The boots I knock make me one bad mutha"
Flexin is offline   Reply With Quote