Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 01-09-2011, 10:58 PM   #51
Mikey
Raving Lunatic

Moto: Concours 14 ABS, ZX6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
Devil's Advocate but Hi Points go for that or less and have a lifetime warranty that has been reported to be very legitimately handled by the company. One gun shop owner told me that he sent a totally jacked up HP 9mm back to the company and they not only repaired it but sent it back looking brand new! Just sayin'...
I was all about picking a hi-point up- until I held one. The thing was way too bulky, way too heavy, way too oddly-balanced. I didn't like anything about it.

I'm still intrigued by them, though, so I might try again.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:11 AM   #52
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILK View Post
Since you are talking carry, what do you think what would be a good carry for a woman? I know nothing about guns at this point but am researching... I will be taking the class in Feb, March.
my girl got a small 2" barrell .38 revolver and a subcompact 9mm auto this year. never having shot before she loves the .38. it is small, concealable, accurate, she has no issues with it's workings, she can clean it herself without worry. she loves it.

the 9mm is a subcompact Taurus auto. she does ok with it but because it has a double action trigger (longer pull) her accuracy is much less, she is still not positive about how it works. she knows but has to think about it because she is still learning the gun. it has jam issues, (it's currently back at Taurus to get fixed) is hard to take down for her, and she doesn't enjoy cleaning it. she doesn't feel confident in the gun or her abilities with it at all yet. much longer learning curve with the suto for someone who isn't inherently "gun savvy"
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 01:54 PM   #53
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Alright, update time:

I took the 1911 out and put 100 rounds of Federal FMJ through it. I'm happy to report that the gun shoots really fucking nice. First shot was dead center. The rest were pretty close. I can easily say that any inaccuracy is due entirely to me, and not the gun. It's only the first 100 rounds, granted, but so far there have been zero malfunctions. The trigger pull on the ATI is really nice and clean. The sites are so-so, but I can live with them. The gun feels very solid and well put together and worth well more than what I paid for it. I still want to put a couple hundred more rounds through it to make sure it stands up, but so far, it's a winner.

I also took my XD45 and rented a Glock 27. After popping off 100 rounds through the 1911, the 20 or so that I shot with the XD felt strange. For one, the 1911 makes my XD feel cheap. It doesn't feel as solid or as well laid out as the 1911. I do appreciate the lighter weight, but the higher bore axis is more noticable in direct comparison, and it has a little more jump in the recoil with some of the weight to eat it up.

The Glock was a bit of a surprise. I still dislike the hell out of the weird grip shape, but I think I could warm up to it based on the rest. The range gun had a Pearce magazine extension piece that made a huge difference. I shot quite well with it as well. If I bought one, there'd be some changes I'd have to make. For one, I'd need that floor plate extension, though it had a sharp edge on it that kept pinching the shit out of the edge of my pinky. That can be filed down and softened no problem. And the sites are kind of meh. But most sites suck anyway and are an easy fix.

So there's the update. The ATI 1911 is proving itself to be a real bargain and a sweet shooting gun at a great price. I still love the XD, but man does it feel different now. And the Glock 27 may have sold me on a Glock purchase in the near future.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #54
Corey
AMA Supersport

Moto: Not a damn thing

Now with pics....

If I knew how awful and blurry this pic would be, I woulda taken another. These were the toys of choice today. I left the PF-9 at home.

I think he's dead. Once I figured out the way the gun shot, my groups got tighter, but there's still a lot of room for improvement on my end to tighten things up. The stuff near the head are aimed at the head, not stragglers. For cereals.

"Your game is shit, your company is shit. Activision ruined you! Activision ruined you." - Francis
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 02:52 PM   #55
z06boy
Letzroll

Moto: 07 Red R1 & 07 Blue R6

Ahh...just realized that there is a gunshow in town this weekend. Now I have to fit that and the EasyRiders show in...plus go look at some dogs.

"Honey I'll get to the list...I promise" It's my own list but I said I'd be working on some of it this weekend.

I bought a little Ruger LCP .380 at the last show a month or so ago and a pocket holster.

I just ordered two 31 round mags for my Glock .40 cal. which should be here any day now.

Humm...wouldn't mind getting a .45 at some point but an AK is on the list too.
z06boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 PM   #56
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey View Post
For one, I'd need that floor plate extension, though it had a sharp edge on it that kept pinching the shit out of the edge of my pinky. That can be filed down and softened no problem. And the sites are kind of meh. But most sites suck anyway and are an easy fix.
Glad the new gun is proving to be a good thing.

Hubby had a Pierce extension on his Glock 26 and it pinched me and his friend. We said something to him and that was the end of that gun... traded for a Glock 19.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #57
Gas Man
Trip's Assistant

Moto: 2009 HD Street Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
Ahh...just realized that there is a gunshow in town this weekend. Now I have to fit that and the EasyRiders show in...plus go look at some dogs.

"Honey I'll get to the list...I promise" It's my own list but I said I'd be working on some of it this weekend.

I bought a little Ruger LCP .380 at the last show a month or so ago and a pocket holster.

I just ordered two 31 round mags for my Glock .40 cal. which should be here any day now.

Humm...wouldn't mind getting a .45 at some point but an AK is on the list too.
What pocket holster you get?

"Why pay somebody else to fuck up your bike?"
Run Amsoil Product
Gas Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #58
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas Man View Post
What pocket holster you get?
I couldn't decide between Uncle Mikes #2 and the DeSantis Nemisis and ended up going with the DeSantis.

Oh and I made the EasyRiders show...decent show but did not make the gun show...got a text that it was NOT a very good one this time.

I'll catch the next one...this other group seems to put on a better show.

Last edited by z06boy; 01-24-2011 at 10:42 AM..
Old 01-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #59
Amber Lamps
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by z06boy View Post
I couldn't decide between Uncle Mikes #2 and the DeSantis Nemisis and ended up going with the DeSantis.

Oh and I made the EasyRiders show...decent show but did not make the gun show...got a text that it was NOT a very good one this time.

I'll catch the next one...this other group seems to put on a better show.
One thing about NC, there is no shortage of gun shows around here!
Amber Lamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 09:40 AM   #60
z06boy
Letzroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amber Lamps View Post
One thing about NC, there is no shortage of gun shows around here!
This is true. At one of the bigger shows around here it's a trip just to look at the crowd and kind of scary to see what/who comes out of the woodwork to attend the shows. There are some crazy looking mofo's walking around with guns.