Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

View Poll Results: Do you keep your service records?
Yes 14 38.89%
No 19 52.78%
Tater's ex-wife is a cum guzzling whore 3 8.33%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-2011, 03:45 PM   #51
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
You can tell whether someone replaced their timing belt or turbocharger or clutch, without taking a wrench to it?
see, I think part of the problem, is I assume that I'm going to need to replace things like that... clutch, belts, ect... so I leave room in my budget before I buy
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 03:52 PM   #52
defector
My balls, your chin

Moto: 929, SV650, YZ250

Quote:
You can tell whether someone replaced their timing belt or turbocharger or clutch, without taking a wrench to it?
Typically, these are the only things people keep receipts for. Big ticket items, or stuff with a long term warranty.
Old 06-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #53
Captain Morgan
Let's do another U-turn

Moto: 2009 V-Strom

Quote:
Because you MIGHT one day get a buyer who DOES ask for them?

I mean most of you aren't that old (20's/30's).......So odds are, eventually you WILL get asked in the future. And if that guy happens to be willing to pay more......you missed out.
That's a whole lot of IF's and MAYBE's that frankly isn't worth the effort in the long run. I don't want a filing cabinet filled with crap I don't need. For as long as I keep my vehicles, that cabinet would be full. No thanks. There aren't enough people that care that much for me to keep all the records.
Captain Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:06 PM   #54
dReWpY
RIP REX

Moto: 2008 1125R

you cant use gasman as a judge of current trends, hell he doesnt keep reciepts he has an entire forum with dates, time stamps, comments, and food eaten during every mc/ car tweak/ change/ mod/ hiccup and poo LOLZ

Venom R1-016 Squadron
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Moral of this story is everyone is fucked up no matter atheist or religious.
dReWpY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #55
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by defector View Post
Typically, these are the only things people keep receipts for. Big ticket items, or stuff with a long term warranty.
That's a fair enough compomise.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #56
Mr Lefty
TWFix Legend

Moto: 01 BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
That's a fair enough compomise.
well warranty items is a different matter... that's not kept (at least for me) to prove anything for resale... it's so I can make sure to put the warranty to use if need be
Mr Lefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:46 PM   #57
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Who are these "most people"

And what kind of vehicles are you selling to them?

If it's something only worth $2-3K, then I could see your point....The less it's worth, the less people would care about seeing proof that it was maintained.

But what about newer or more valuable stuff?

Let's say you owned a late model VW or Audi with the turbo 4, which has a history of problems if the oil changes weren't kept up.......And you put it up for sale today. Don't you think a potential buyer would be interested to know when and how often you changed the oil (if at all)? If I was the buyer, I would ask for proof. Just saying "oh yeah I changed it every 3K" isn't going to satisfy things. Everyone says that.

Or, even more importantly, how about if your car has a timing belt which requires changing at 80K miles. That is a pretty expensive service, and if you don't get it done, your engine could be damaged if it's an "interference design". So you get it done, drive another 5K, and then decide to sell the car. Wouldn't you want to show that you had that service done?
Every person that has every bought anything from my husband - cars and motorcycles. To my knowledge, not one ever asked for a record book.

Otherwise I can't answer your questions because I DO keep records on all my vehicles. But at the same time, I keep my stuff forever so it's never worth anything when I do sell it, at which point most don't care nor do they expect every record.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #58
racedoll
AMA Supersport

Moto: '04 Kawasaki ZX6RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
No. I generally drive my vehicles into the ground. By the time I'm done with it, I'd be lucky to get much above scrap value, so there's no point in service records.
This is me, except I do keep my records and receipts.
racedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:18 PM   #59
shmike
Follower

Nope.

I don't own anything special enough to warrant it.

People that keep pictures of used oil are the same ones that think their $2500 A4 is worth $8k because it has been "well cared for".
Old 06-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #60
wildchild
cruiser

Moto: '09 HD superglide, 16 Yamaha FZ 09

i have a notebook in every vehicle that contains dates mileage and cost of all maint and repairs done. also whether i did the work or someone else.

the used truck i bought this year, came with 0 records. i just assume whoever owned it did nothing and begin to go through it on my own.
wildchild is offline   Reply With Quote