Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 10-15-2012, 11:05 PM   #51
Particle Man
Custom User Title

Moto: 2003 SV650S

I was just thinking about how he could see the world spinning like a mother fucker through his faceplate - that would make me yack
Particle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:27 AM   #52
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeslice View Post
So where do we disagree? I don't get it.
What we hear you saying is that if there is a force (like a rocket or a roller coater or a car moving) pushing your body you will feel the effects of that powered movement.

What everyone else here is saying is that in the near vacuum of the upper atmosphere, with no external forces pushing you, and reference both Kittenger and Felix's statements you dont feel or see anything that makes you think you are falling.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #53
derf
token jewboy

Moto: CBR 900, KLR ugly ass duckling, Gas Man

The only experience that I can closely relate to the space balloon jumps are my personal experience jumping from a helicopter (2007 and 2008, 12 jumps total), sitting on the edge of the floor and pushing off, I had the sudden sensation (and completely irrational almost shit your pants feeling) that I was being hurtled upwards towards the rotor blades. The only reason i was ever given is that I was expecting air resistance to me falling down, but immediately I felt air from the rotors being pushed down against me giving me the sensation of going against gravity and falling upwards, which lasts for a few quick seconds then the parachute opens and you are mostly ground to a halt suspended from the risers.
Old 10-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #54
Smittie61984
I give Squids a bad name

Moto: 1996 CBR600 F3 (AKA the Flying Turd)

Maybe I should have tried it in Homeslice terms.

Instead of using acceleration=Force/mass, we'll say style=budget/fashion. Budget is the net product of work times time. If you aint gots no work then your budget equals 0. With a budget at 0 you won't feel the desired affect of stylin and profilin.

For everything else Khhhhhhaaaaaaaannnnnnn!!!!
http://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics/mechanics
Old 10-16-2012, 08:13 AM   #55
Homeslice
Elitist

Moto: Gix 750

Fighter pilots need G-suits when they make high-G turns, otherwise their blood shifts towards their lower body and they black out. That's proof that the stuff inside your body can move independantly. Your body is strapped into the seat, so it's forced to move with the plane, but the blood wants to stay where it was due to inertia. And that's going to happen regardless of whether there's a vacuum or not. G-force is g-force, it doesn't matter if it's just normal Earth gravity or a 7G turn in a fighter jet. I don't get why you guys are talking about air resistance, when it's gravity and intertia that causes the effects I'm describing.
Homeslice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 AM   #56
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Moto: 08 R1200GS

Quote:
Fighter pilots need G-suits when they make high-G turns, otherwise their blood shifts towards their lower body and they black out. That's proof that the stuff inside your body can move independantly. Your body is strapped into the seat, so it's forced to move with the plane, but the blood wants to stay where it was due to inertia. And that's going to happen regardless of whether there's a vacuum or not. G-force is g-force, it doesn't matter if it's just normal Earth gravity or a 7G turn in a fighter jet. I don't get why you guys are talking about air resistance, when it's gravity and intertia that causes the effects I'm describing.
That's because you don't have constant acceleration. You are forcing the body and everything in it with an extreme change in acceleration and velocity and multiple forces impacting the body in the jet fighter example.

The guy is in a constant acceleration free fall, completely different examples.
Trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #57
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
That's because you don't have constant acceleration. You are forcing the body and everything in it with an extreme change in acceleration and velocity and multiple forces impacting the body in the jet fighter example.
Sure, the force is strongest when he initially yanks it into the turn, but his blood distrbution is still going to be affected if he stays in the turn forever, because of centrifical force. Even though he isn't accelerating.

Same thing with one of those carousel things at an amusement park.

But getting back to the point in hand. Take a half-full bottle of water, and glue a big weight on the bottom so that it will fall bottom-first. Take it up in Felix's balloon, and drop it. The water would shift to the top and stay there until terminal velocity is reached. Thus proving that fluids will shift inside a falling body. And I'm saying you'll feel that. Shit I feel it just on a trampoline.

Last edited by Homeslice; 10-16-2012 at 10:46 AM..
Old 10-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #58
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
Even if the pilot remained in the turn forever, going round and round in circles, his blood distrbution would never return to normal, because centrifical force is keeping most of it in his lower body. Even though he isn't accelerating.

Same thing with one of those carousel things at an amusement park.
He is changing his acceleration throughtout the turn by changing direction. Seriously, just go take a statics and dynamics class so you can understand how forces work on objects if you are that interested.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #59
Homeslice
Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
He is changing his acceleration throughtout the turn by changing direction. Seriously, just go take a statics and dynamics class so you can understand how forces work on objects if you are that interested.
Read my edit.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM   #60
Trip
Hold mah beer!

Quote:
But getting back to the point in hand. Take a half-full bottle of water, and glue a big weight on the bottom so that it will fall bottom-first. Take it up in Felix's balloon, and drop it. The water would shift to the top and stay there until terminal velocity is reached. Thus proving that fluids will shift inside a falling body. And I'm saying you'll feel that. Shit I feel it just on a trampoline.
If you produced force on the bottle as you dropped it so that the water inside is forced to the top because the bottle is traveling faster than the force of gravity, this would happen. If you just allowed gravity to take the bottle by just letting go, you wouldn't see the water go to the top until other forces took over forcing the bottle and water around. The water inside the bottle and the bottle itself would only have the force of gravity pulling it down and thus they both would fall at the same rate and the water would maintain it's location in the bottle.