Go Back   Two Wheel Fix > General > Off Topic

Old 08-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #51
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Moto: '0000 Custom Turbo Cross (with jet kit).

In the "old days", fork caps had medium pitched threads, that were maybe half an inch deep into the tube.

They also leaked.

Eventually, somebody figured out that fork caps with really fine pitched threads, that went into the tube about an inch, wouldn't leak.

People who build forks for a living, have a special vice that holds the fork vertically on the bench. The poor man's version of this, is to leave the wheel on, and have a buddy to straddle the wheel while you put the cap on.

A wheel chock also works well, if you have no friends, or are just generally unpopular.

I have two wheel chocks.

JC
Old 08-04-2009, 10:53 PM   #52
azoomm
moderator chick

Moto: Pasta Rockets

Holy Shit, I think a motorcycle topic just snuck up on y'all

Come Play at the Track!!

http://www.elitetrackdays.com
azoomm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #53
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoomm View Post
Holy Shit, I think a motorcycle topic just snuck up on y'all
Just when you thought it was safe...

JC
Old 08-04-2009, 11:01 PM   #54
Dave
Chaotic Neutral

Moto: GV1200 Madura, Hawk gt

damn gotta pull out a desperation move to hijack and derail this sucker.

I LIKE BISCUITS!

TWF Post whore #6
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 11:19 PM   #55
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
damn gotta pull out a desperation move to hijack and derail this sucker.

I LIKE BISCUITS!

The rear suspension linkage on vintage Moto Guzzi's like the one below, is often referred to as a "Biscuit type Suspension", due to the roundish, biscuity like nature of it's components.

JC
Old 08-05-2009, 07:51 AM   #56
tommymac
Moto GP Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
Good point.

Then again, that's when most people find the time to change their springs.

Ok, serious note here. I've done a shit-ton of spring replacements/pre-load spacer installs over the years. The hardest part of the job by far, is getting the fork cap back on. You have to push like a mofo to get the thing in place, AND, you have to get it started straight, or you are positively fucked for life. The last thing you need in this situation, is to have the front end swinging around. The less the front end is able to move, the better off you'll be.

JC
Thats where I figured having the spring compressor tools will help. I thought it may be a bit more stable leaving it in the triples, but am not sure how much space iwill have to work with up top. The instructions say you need a 3rd hand at one point so either I need to mutate and grow a 3rd arm or offer some alcohol to a few of the people I know who can tolerate me in short bursts to come help

Tom
tommymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:02 AM   #57
askmrjesus
Soul Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Thats where I figured having the spring compressor tools will help. I thought it may be a bit more stable leaving it in the triples, but am not sure how much space iwill have to work with up top. The instructions say you need a 3rd hand at one point so either I need to mutate and grow a 3rd arm or offer some alcohol to a few of the people I know who can tolerate me in short bursts to come help

Tom
Ok, now that I've seen a pic of your spring compressor tool, (I don't have one of those, I always to do it the hard way ) I take it all back. You're going to have to pull the forks to use that thing. I suppose you could move the forks a few inches up past the top tree, and re-tighten, but by then you're into monkey/football territory anyway.

If you don't have a proper vice to hold the fork, here's a trick I've used in the past. Assuming your bench has some stout wooden legs on it, cut a piece of hard wood [Winston Wolf] I like oak. Are you an oak kind of guy Tommy? [/Winston Wolf] to use as an offset. Drill holes in the wood to match up with the holes in your brake carrier, and bolt the whole mess to your bench leg with some lag bolts. Voila, shit ain't moving, or smashing up expensive bits of Italian fork leg.

JC
Old 08-05-2009, 12:59 PM   #58
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymac View Post
Showa 43mm. I bought a spring compressor tool from traxion dynamics I am wondering if I could just do the springs with the tubes still on the bike?

Theres a good how to walk thru in the futura forum on apriliaforum so that will def help, plus i have the manual.

Tom
I dunno, if you've already got the wheel off and the front supported, I'd just take the tubes out. I haven't read the Futura walkthrough, and maybe there's some trick technique on there, but it seems like it's a whole lot easier to get the leverage you need with each tube off the bike and on the ground.

If I'm remembering right, taking the cap off is easy. Loosen it a bit while still in the triples, and just remove after that. The cap itself isn't under compression from the springs.

Once you get the cap off, you're going to need to have the fork leg fully compressed, and then compress the spring. Unless you've got the fancy compressor that actually clamps on the bottom of the fork leg, too, you're going to need to brace it on the ground while compressing.

Edit: Oops, didn't read the whole thread. By the way, I managed to get into some weird monkey-contortionist position to hook one leg over one side of the compressor to hold it while I put the clip in to hold everything. I don't recommend it, if you can find a third hand somewhere, but you can get it done. You've got the tool that just looks like a ring with two rods threaded in either side, right?

Last edited by anthonyk; 08-05-2009 at 01:03 PM..
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #59
Cutty72
Ride Naked.

Moto: 08 BUELL 1125R, 05 SV650S

Quote:
Originally Posted by smileyman View Post
I am posting from work. My 4 mile commute is pretty uneventful on my NEW BUELL. Which is due its first service. I plan on doing it myself as there have been no issues and saving its first trip to the dealer for the next set of tires.
I took mine in for the first service just to be sure that they have seen it etc for warranty. First one they sold and the one with the most miles for that dealership. I have done all further non recall items myself. Plan on doing a valve check when I get back. Manual is ready and waiting
Cutty72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #60
anthonyk
WERA White Plate

Moto: '01 Aprilia Falco

Quote:
Originally Posted by askmrjesus View Post
The rear suspension linkage on vintage Moto Guzzi's like the one below, is often referred to as a "Biscuit type Suspension", due to the roundish, biscuity like nature of it's components.

JC
Holy cow, is that some kind of damping adjuster in the middle of that white linkage on the back? Old school for sure.
anthonyk is offline   Reply With Quote